Hello, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Options
Doing an Open University mini-course on 'The Science of Nutrition and Healthy Eating' required me to weigh myself. As it turns out, my scales need re-calibrating, I was weighed at a medical appointment this week, and next week's weight-log will look like I've shifted an additional 3kg.

It's not the 'weight' that's the issue, it's the appalling lack of fitness. I've had some 'events' in the last six years that have changed the ways I move and eat (And sleep, and think in general), this physical body is showing more signs of wear and tear than it ought to, and I say "Ouch!", and worse, far more frequently than I ought to.

I'd originally set up the NHS weight-loss app, but that defaulted to starting on a Monday. It was Saturday, and I'm as pedantic as hell, so it's just sitting on my phone, it'll probably beep soon, to check if I'm dead.

I've never been 'on a diet', and, until 2019, I had a 42-year streak of never having been inside a gym. Work, and 'normal life' provided enough activity to balance-out my abysmal diet. That changed in 2016, after some surgery, and it's showing. I know how food works, I'd just been doing it wrong, I have a theoretical understanding of exercise, but not much practical experience, combined with a tendency to fall over, I'm not really suited to in-person gym activities.

I'm sarcastic, and use humour as a deflection-mechanism. I'm not a sociable type, just thought I'd introduce myself, in case anyone thought I was a lurker.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Most of us arrived here not knowing what we're doing 🙂

There is lots of useful info to be found in these forums. I recommend starting with the stickied Most Helpful posts at the top of each subforum and just general reading of the topics. And if you have specific questions, lots of helpful people around here to answer them.

Good luck!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    You two will get along in a fetching way, it seems 😉

@gaiaresurrected I've been impressed by the NHS C25K running program but perhaps you'll wanna get a handle on the calendar adjustment for your current app

And if running isn't your thing due to mobility or stability challenges then perhaps consider something like yoga or Pilates. Both are low impact and have a lot of floor or stability equipment...but, geez, they can work up a sweat.

Thank you for your pleasantly transparent intro and welcome to MFP! 👏🏿
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Welcome. You don't have to go to the gym if you don't want to. You can start out walking and then branch out from there and try new things. Exercise that you like, gets done. It'll take a little time before you see the benefits. Just don't start doing too much too soon. Injuries can hold you back. I won't comment on the diet part, since you say that's under control. Good luck.
  • gaiaresurrected
    gaiaresurrected Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all.
    I'm trying (very) to do this sensibly and properly, 'sensible' and 'proper' are not my middle names, BUT I'm aware of my 'old' tendency to run at everything full-tilt, then wonder why I'm on the floor again. My compost-bin loves me again, with all the veg-ends I'm feeding it, or maybe it actually fancies me, thinking I'm one of its kind.

Next step, work out how to reply to individual responses...
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I’m a former lurker, too, now a reformed lurker. These forums are amazing. Any question you can throw out will be answered quickly and pedantically, which should scratch all your itches.

To reply to individual posts simoly hit the “quote below the post you want to reply to, then put your response underneath, not inside the quote marks.
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    Welcome! I’m a former lurker, too, now a reformed lurker. These forums are amazing. Any question you can throw out will be answered quickly and pedantically, which should scratch all your itches.

To reply to individual posts simoly hit the “quote below the post you want to reply to, then put your response underneath, not inside the quote marks.

Thank you! Once I learn a new system, it sticks, but this is a new platform for me.
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    I'm sarcastic, and use humour as a deflection-mechanism. I'm not a sociable type

Hi. Are you me? You sound like you're me. I don't appreciate my identity being stolen like this.

I don't *think* I'm you, I thought I was me, but I did have a call from 'BT' this morning, saying my contract would be terminated due to some 'illegal theft and hacking', so maybe I did steal your identity? I'm not with BT, and didn't realise there were legal forms of theft and hacking.
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Most of us arrived here not knowing what we're doing 🙂

There is lots of useful info to be found in these forums. I recommend starting with the stickied Most Helpful posts at the top of each subforum and just general reading of the topics. And if you have specific questions, lots of helpful people around here to answer them.

Good luck!

Thank you- I'm still navigating my way around the site, I'll figure it out.
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

@gaiaresurrected I've been impressed by the NHS C25K running program but perhaps you'll wanna get a handle on the calendar adjustment for your current app

And if running isn't your thing due to mobility or stability challenges then perhaps consider something like yoga or Pilates. Both are low impact and have a lot of floor or stability equipment...but, geez, they can work up a sweat.

Thank you, I did look at the C25K a couple of years ago, but I'm a liability in terms of balance, I don't think running is going to be my 'thing', I'm looking at the 'Strength and Flex', but starting from home, not a park bench...
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    Welcome. You don't have to go to the gym if you don't want to. You can start out walking and then branch out from there and try new things. Exercise that you like, gets done. It'll take a little time before you see the benefits. Just don't start doing too much too soon. Injuries can hold you back. I won't comment on the diet part, since you say that's under control. Good luck.

Thank you, gyms/running aren't 'me', I'm building up my walking, and spending more time shifting stuff about in the garden- bonus there is free produce in season- gentle yoga, hoping to move up to Pilates, I've signed up for a free 'Core Restore' online course starting at the end of the month, I'm a shade of what I used to be, I know I'll never be 21 again, but I'd like to be fitter than I am now.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Thank you, I did look at the C25K a couple of years ago, but I'm a liability in terms of balance, I don't think running is going to be my 'thing', I'm looking at the 'Strength and Flex', but starting from home, not a park bench...

If you're looking for strength, flexibility, and balance you might want to try light yoga. I'm 66 and started with a class 6 yrs ago. It is now part of my daily routine at home. The benefits are incredible, but I also do other things--swim, acquagym, walking, strength training, and a stretching routine.
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options

If you're looking for strength, flexibility, and balance you might want to try light yoga. I'm 66 and started with a class 6 yrs ago. It is now part of my daily routine at home. The benefits are incredible, but I also do other things--swim, acquagym, walking, strength training, and a stretching routine.

Thank you- I did have a few yoga classes as part of my 'Social Prescribing...' gym package, I had to sit out due to a monumental thigh-tremor, and never went back to that class. I'll start slow and steady, I looked at Pilates years ago, and there are some entry-level videos from reputable sources online.
  • springlering62
    Options
    After I had a few bad falls running (if you could call it that!!!) my trainer suggested I consider power walking.

To me, it seems like it’s just super slow running, but it eliminates my superhuman ability to trip and go flying. The flying’s not so bad, but the landings are a *kitten*.

Anyway it’s still a great workout, it’s not as brutal as running, still burns a lot of calories, it just leaves me sadly jealous of the chick on my “friends list” who runs like the wind for two hours a day. You know: sadly inadequate.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    it just leaves me sadly jealous of the chick on my “friends list” who runs like the wind for two hours a day. You know: sadly inadequate.
    🤔Who is this chick🐣?
  • springlering62
    Options
    it just leaves me sadly jealous of the chick on my “friends list” who runs like the wind for two hours a day. You know: sadly inadequate.
    🤔Who is this chick🐣?

@SavageMrsMoose She’s killing it.

You know, it must be something with mooses (moose?) because some other moose chick on my feed table dances in 6-8 inch heels every day.

Or that’s what I SWEAR my eyes see every day, til I do the ScoobyDoo head shake and reset my eyes. But whatever it is the...errr....other Moose is doing is sure burning the calories.
  • springlering62
    edited April 2021
    Options
    1des30c54sos.jpeg
    Every time I see this I think it says 6-8 inch heels and I’m in awe
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    🤔Who is this chick🐣?

@SavageMrsMoose She’s killing it.

You know, it must be something with mooses (moose?) because some other moose chick on my feed table dances in 6-8 inch heels every day.

Or that’s what I SWEAR my eyes see every day, til I do the ScoobyDoo head shake and reset my eyes. But whatever it is the...errr....other Moose is doing is sure burning the calories.

Omg. I died laughing 🤣
  • gaiaresurrected
    Options
    After I had a few bad falls running (if you could call it that!!!) my trainer suggested I consider power walking.

To me, it seems like it’s just super slow running, but it eliminates my superhuman ability to trip and go flying. The flying’s not so bad, but the landings are a *kitten*.

Anyway it’s still a great workout, it’s not as brutal as running, still burns a lot of calories, it just leaves me sadly jealous of the chick on my “friends list” who runs like the wind for two hours a day. You know: sadly inadequate.

With you on the 'landing' being worse than the 'falling', I don't drive, so I walk pretty much everywhere anyway, frequently with more grocery-shopping than I should attempt to carry on my own. Various medical issues/ailments mean I have to stay in reasonably populated areas for my semi-regular 'fast walking', the problem with that is swerving dog-walkers, it's getting lighter in the mornings, I'll just have to go out earlier, to avoid the *kitten*-slalom.

With you on the 'other chick' thing, my brother and sister both post workout-updates, and motivational quotes on FB, I'm just plugging away quietly, and hoping for gradual results.

• gaiaresurrected
    Options
    🤔Who is this chick🐣?

We all know one... I'm mostly confining my nutrition/exercise posts to here, because I know how irritating *some* people can become with the incessant updates- my last job had a group of women doing Slimming World in the same office as me, and they never talked about anything else.