Would you define your diet as mostly historically traditional, imported traditional, or modern????

Options
NVintage
NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
kfrnlzpk6h7r.png

Fig. 2
figure2
Bars represent the quotient of percentage of energy derived through ‘modern vs. traditional ingredients’ with data from the FAO [36]. Points depict the prevalence of obesity in 2014 (i.e. BMI ≥ 30 kg/m2) [37]. Note. Cereals, starchy roots, pulses, vegetables and fruits were considered to be ‘traditional ingredients’ whereas sugar/sweeteners, meat/offal, and vegetable oils/animal fats were considered to be ‘modern ingredients’

https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12889-019-7844-4

Replies

• NVintage
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I think I eat mostly traditional foods from all over the world, maybe 80%, but I do like soda and some snacks with "modern ingredients." There was also a study done with Pima Indians that showed a huge difference in the rates of obesity/ diabetes depending on a traditional vs. modern diet...
  • NVintage
    Options
    So modern, I'm guessing, haha...
  • NVintage
    Options
    There's a lot of talk about globalization and moving away from traditional diets.. but what exactly is a traditional diet? In that article they tried to define it vs. what is modern...
    nwqbc6k48bt9.png

• NVintage
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I guess they would say I eat imported traditionally for the most part? I try to eat a Mediterranean diet even though I'm American and most of my ancestors are from England/Ireland. I read in an article that the typical British person ate a POUND of bread per day, 8oz potatoes, 2 beers, a couple T butter, 2T sugar, and some meat and vegetables in 1860!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    NVintage wrote: »
    I guess they would say I eat imported traditionally for the most part? I try to eat a Mediterranean diet even though I'm American and most of my ancestors are from England/Ireland. I read in an article that the typical British person ate a POUND of bread per day, 8oz potatoes, 2 beers, a couple T butter, 2T sugar, and some meat and vegetables in 1860!

Britain is a varied place - in 1860 people in rural Ireland and people in London may have had quite different staple foods.

I highly doubt the average ( read, not well- off ) person ate the equivalent of 3/4 loaf of bread per day in 1860 (my own standard loaf weighs 650g in total)

Not sure how much beer they would of drunk - for a long time beer was a drink much watered down compared to modern beer.

a couple of spoons of butter and 2 spoons of sugar doesnt sound much and ' some meat and vegetables' means anything - 'some' being such a poorly defined amount.

Not sue what the article was meaning to imply.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what those terms mean, tbh.

Growing up I ate a lot of Persian food with some Italian or Mexican mixed in.

I eat a lot of ethnic food now too. My diet is a lot like the Mediterranean diet but I do eat “American food” now too.
  • NVintage
    Options
    That's very true! I might should say the average" person of means". It was just a fun history article, and I can't find it now.. It was actually referencing a household management book that was advising what to buy per person for the week. I'm the one that divided it per day and said "some meat and veg"...the book said around 50 oz each of chicken and beef per week,( so 7.1428 oz chicken and 7.1248 oz beef per person day),but that if fish, puddings, and veg were bought that would decrease the amount of meat needed. It also said to buy 4.5 oz milk per week per person.
    I just mentioned it because I assume that would be considered my traditional diet since about 80% of ancestors come from that area, but I could never eat that much bread!:)
    NVintage wrote: »

Britain is a varied place - in 1860 people in rural Ireland and people in London may have had quite different staple foods.

I highly doubt the average ( read, not well- off ) person ate the equivalent of 3/4 loaf of bread per day in 1860 (my own standard loaf weighs 650g in total)

Not sure how much beer they would of drunk - for a long time beer was a drink much watered down compared to modern beer.

a couple of spoons of butter and 2 spoons of sugar doesnt sound much and ' some meat and vegetables' means anything - 'some' being such a poorly defined amount.

Not sue what the article was meaning to imply.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I prefer to buy local food when possible for environmental and economic reasons, so I guess that would make me traditional. But I also have local groceries run by people from all over the world, so, I definitely take advantage of that too.

I like to adapt the nutritional advice to "eating food that *someone's* great grandmother would recognize as food." Doesn't necessarily have to be mine. :smiley:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    To answer the question asked (vs talking about TV shows and Ben Franklin), I find the definitions somewhat confusing:

"Cereals, starchy roots, pulses, vegetables and fruits were considered to be ‘traditional ingredients’"

I eat some grains and pulses, some starchy roots, amount depending on how low carb I am eating. I eat lots of veg and some fruit daily.

"sugar/sweeteners, meat/offal, and vegetable oils/animal fats were considered to be ‘modern ingredients’"

I don't eat much added sugar or sweetener, but I do eat meat/offal (which comes along with animal fat), and olive oil and sometimes avocado oil regularly, and butter not often but occasionally. I also consume some animal fat with cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

Nuts and seeds don't seem to be included, but I prioritize those (also fish, which I am assuming is "meat," of course).

Based on that, then, I eat a mix of traditional and modern ingredients.

As for imported or not, the US is such a mix of cuisines and none really native here, for the most part (at least, I don't eat a Native American diet), so I guess imported.

But I don't think most people would consider the "modern" foods I listed as especially "modern," although it would have depended on where you lived. I find the idea that including some fish, butter, yogurt, and olive oil in my diet makes it a modern diet kind of odd, historically.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    These definitions make pretty much no sense to me. In no way is meat, animal fat, and vegetable oils "modern"...neither is sugar really, though it used to be pretty much a rich person thing...but it started to be mass exported from the Americas to Europe in the early 1700s and became far more commonly used as an ingredient. Humans are omnivorous...we've been eating animals forever...we've been rendering animal fat forever. I suppose some vegetable oils are "modern"...but they've been pressing olive oil in the Mediterranean and middle east for thousands of years.

I think of "historically traditional" as something by region and food cultures of that region, not a particular ingredient list. Going back to animal fat...I'm from NM and historically traditional New Mexican food (which is awesome) has animal lard as a main ingredient in just about everything from tortillas to sopapillas to beans to you name it...definitely not a modern thing...traditional NM cooking goes back centuries.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    So I'm a historical reenactor, so for a weekend event we will eat more or less exactly what our counterparts in 1775 Northern New England ate.

What I can tell you is that it's pretty healthy and delicious in the hands of a decent cook. Stuff like oatmeal, eggs, bread, cheese, vegetables and fruit, stew...a lot of stew. Beer. Coffee and tea. A cookie or two, maybe some apple pie. It's all based on historical recipes, and it's delicious.

Of course, we've also been active. Even if not playing soldier in the field, the kids are playing, the non-military are walking, doing camp chores, sometimes a game of rounders (proto-baseball). Most of us eat more than we would at home and/or work.

What I can tell you is if I do a week long event I eat a lot, but still tend to lose weight in the process.

That sounds kinda fun...