Lose weight without being active

I am currently 194lbs 5’5. I started dieting 3 weeks ago. I have lost about 3 lbs in total. I am eating 1200-1400 cals a day. I am mostly sedentary. I do not exercise. This week I didn’t lose any weight and I feel like I’m starving myself. My goal is to lose 1lb a week. Am I being unrealistic?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    My weight any given day is basically random. Long term trend is down. That's how it works for everyone.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    What everyone else said. And yes, you’re right. It is very realistic to lose weight without exercise. If you feel like you’re starving try eating more low calorie high density foods (veggies, whole fruits, protein, etc) to help satisfy your hunger.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    The advantage of being more active, aside from simply being good for your cardio-vascular health, is that you get to eat more so you don't feel like you're starving all the time.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    I am currently 194lbs 5’5. I started dieting 3 weeks ago. I have lost about 3 lbs in total. I am eating 1200-1400 cals a day. I am mostly sedentary. I do not exercise. This week I didn’t lose any weight and I feel like I’m starving myself. My goal is to lose 1lb a week. Am I being unrealistic?

You can lose weight without exercise but some additional movement would help with weight loss and your overall health. Is there any medical or other reason you're sedentary?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Many women find that their weigh loss varies by time of the month even if everything else is the same, and there are plenty of other reasons you might lose nothing one week, more than 1 lb in another week.

If you are starving, you might want to change up what you are eating or the eating pattern you are following -- experimenting and seeing how it affects you can be helpful. Some find volume helpful, some find upping protein and fiber helpful, some find it helpful to cut back on carbs -- it varies, which is why I say to experiment.

Even mild exercise can also earn more cals and be beneficial to health -- just something like walking more -- but I agree that it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • Annie42019
    Annie42019 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2021
    I lost 75 pounds in 10 months without any exercise in my late 50’s. . But I think you have to be a very very stringent recorder of calories. Weigh and measure everything. Record all the BLT ( bite licks and tastes. [
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited April 2021
    The advantage of being more active, aside from simply being good for your cardio-vascular health, is that you get to eat more so you don't feel like you're starving all the time.

Yes.

Also, when I'm active I sleep better, and without good sleep I make bad food choices.

Before I lost my job last year, I did some form of exercise at lunch time. I was more productive in the afternoon and had no urge to boredom-eat. Moderate exercise is a mild appetite suppressant for me.

My body also feels better when I'm active, especially my lower back.