Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Please help by sharing what you do to keep yourself on track

2»

Replies

• ncfitbitncfitbit Member, Premium Posts: 1,956 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,956 Member
    Love all the awesome suggestions here! I needed to read this today. I've been looking for a way to get my head back in the game after I let the pandemic and a family member's illness fool me into thinking it wasn't important to focus on myself. The result is I'm up 10 lbs. The only reason it wasn't moer than that is I'm stubborn and I refuse to buy new clothes.

Does anyone know of a "former maintainers" group for people who need some additional accountability to get back on track?

• AKTipsyCatAKTipsyCat Member, Premium Posts: 180 Member Member, Premium Posts: 180 Member
    So get where you are coming from and love all the advice, I lost almost 50 pounds, then gained some back and then I'm losing and gaining the same 15 pounds over and over again and never quite reaching goal. I lot of it is tied to exercise, because when I exercise I eat to fuel me and make better choices, so even if I technically have more calories, it's all more nutritionally dense and not sugary. Once I stop exercising, I start eating like crap and boozing it up more... and even though I eat less, I stop losing weight. Argh.
  • ALG775ALG775 Member Posts: 240 Member Member Posts: 240 Member
    The words that you use to describe yourself have a powerful effect on your actions. For many years I described my self as fat, lazy, slob, and incompetent. Since joining MFP last March, I have lost 77 pounds and realize that many of those negative words were said to me but they are not my true self.

I agree- what we say about ourselves and what we think about ourselves is powerful.

• durhammfpdurhammfp Member Posts: 486 Member Member Posts: 486 Member
    I lost 49 pounds and have more or less kept it off except that my weight is now fluctuating within a 3 pound range. I wanted to lose a little more but it has gotten difficult... I think stress from the pandemic is a real thing and it looks like things are returning to (some kind of) normal, so that's good.

I weigh myself pretty much every day, in addition to tracking my food. Even when I have gotten slack about tracking food I almost always step on the scale every day. So that is a big, and positive, motivator for me. The other thing I do is something that I don't do. I do NOT try to "make up" today for any mistakes I made before today. I do not believe in being extra restrictive with my food today just because I overate yesterday. Every day is a new opportunity to succeed so I just get back on the horse and try again.
    edited April 28
  • KHMcGKHMcG Member Posts: 1,081 Member Member Posts: 1,081 Member
    As you lost did you learn to eat? Did you learn what level of exercise is needed for the calorie consumption you took in?

If yes you have a guideline of what needs to be done in order to lose or gain. Logging or not logging if you reached goal you know what got you there.

Be aware of what you are doing and it won't get away from you.

Make conscious decisions.
  • mylittlerainbowmylittlerainbow Member Posts: 727 Member Member Posts: 727 Member
    The tracking during weight loss phase is continuing. I've only been in maintenance this time around since last October but intend to stay there for the rest of my life and never let myself gain any significant amount again. To that end, I continue logging on MFP - calories and exercise minutes/type and water. (I prelog my food for the day to make sure I can incorporate any "treat" that I might want to allow myself that day.) Plus I weigh and log that every week, too. Really makes a difference for somebody like me to be held accountable to somebody/something because I've learned I am incapable of going it alone with no support. I occasionally look at my "before" photos, too - especially when I see my face as "too round" or my belly as "too protruding" these days (now that I'm used to my appearance again) and have to remind myself of how it was when I was REALLY too heavy!
    edited April 30
    "because I've learned I am incapable of going it alone with no support."

I think this is key for me. I need support- whether it be MFP, my Dr, etc. And with a little help from our friends, we can do it!
  • MaltedTeaMaltedTea Member, Premium Posts: 5,262 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,262 Member
    Jovial yet berating self-talk followed by committing to positive change 🤷🏾‍♀️
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Jovial yet berating self-talk followed by committing to positive change 🤷🏾‍♀️

:smiley:
  • brenn24179brenn24179 Member Posts: 2,072 Member Member Posts: 2,072 Member
    ALG775 wrote: »
    "because I've learned I am incapable of going it alone with no support."

I think this is key for me. I need support- whether it be MFP, my Dr, etc. And with a little help from our friends, we can do it!

This is so important, I needed help and reached out. So many people in MFP have helped me, some a little harsh but I guess I needed tough love at times!
  • Blakey1982Blakey1982 Member Posts: 36 Member Member Posts: 36 Member
    Take a nice long break from alcohol, 40-60 days and watch how all other facets of life and health work so much easier. Then, if you to choose to drink again be very limited and disciplined. This is what is working for me and is the PRIMARY reason I am having success.
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 30,795 Member Member Posts: 30,795 Member
    @Blakey1982 That's exactly the recipe another mentor of mine has used over the years with the same great results.
  • socajamsocajam Member, Premium Posts: 2,577 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2,577 Member
    Like you, I love food, but I realize that I have to think in moderation
    Bread is my downfall, especially sliced bread, so I refuse to buy it. Instead I buy bread rolls. What I have found that eating that one roll is enough, I don't have to stop eating bread.
    I buy the rolls, keep them in the freezer and some days I will just have a salmon burger sandwich with grilled zucchini, one (50 calories cheese) along with a green smoothie made with (1/2 frozen banana, ginger, organic spring mix, almond butter (30g), cacao powder and 1/2 pear - that is really filling and that's dinner and my bread graving satisfied.
    I have not really given up anything, just eat some foods in moderation
    Like you I lost 24 lbs, felt wonderful, but did not do the maintenance that was required and here I am again.
  • mylittlerainbowmylittlerainbow Member Posts: 727 Member Member Posts: 727 Member
    Oh, yum, socajam, both your salmon burger sandwich and your green smoothie sound so good!!
  • GigiAgape1981GigiAgape1981 Member Posts: 17 Member Member Posts: 17 Member
    Without going into details on each one but these three have been a cornerstone.
    1. An Activity tracker, Fitbit in my case.
    2. Balancing a weekly/biweekly calorie budget instead of daily.
    3. Treating "missteps" as a learning experience. The quicker I change my stinking-thinking the better it is for me.