Just a girl, in a forum, trying to lose weight

Options
I am 60 years old and weigh 161.5 at 5’5”. A year ago, I weighed 173. So, yes. Slow does work. I just joined MFP because I have been stalled at this same weight for several months. How did I get off the first 12 pounds? Slowly, but surely and it has stayed off. I started eating plant based diet last April. I have a terrible family history of heart disease (my birth father died at 47 of a massive coronary and my mother had a heart attack and bypass surgery at age 69. Add to that, my late husband amd father of my two beautiful daughters died at 47 also of a major heart attack). I research health news and learned about a new way to eat....I’m not “vegan” nor am I what I would call a strict “vegetarian “. I am just “plant-based”. We discovered The Game Changers on Netflix and I was so moved, it was easy to start. Plus, I have always liked veg more than meat, and I am not a huge fan of milk. Cheese, though? Cheese was my favorite. 10 pounds came off in about 7 months. Everyone noticed that I wasn’t “puffy” and we attributed that to inflammation. I am attaching a pic of what I looked like the Sept before lockdown began and what I looked like in September of 2020. Even I can tell it is a pretty healthy looking change. Now, I’m beginning to log my food intake, and although that has never been helpful for me (I found when I focused so much on WHAT I was eating that all I did was focus on my next meal. For that reason, WW never worked for me. I am appreciating MFP so much. It is very helpful to watch my nutrients and to get that nice feedback at the end of every day, “if you continue to eat like today, you will weigh _____ in 5 weeks.” That really motivates me to keep it up! Good luck to us all! yd84adfczbpr.png

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jill. Welcome. Have seen your other posts. Good job so far.

I started 09/2018, at age 56, and have lost 40% of my weight.

It’s not hard at all- in fact so ****ing easy I wish I’d done it thirty years ago- , but it does take focus and application.

The last three or four posts in this thread really moved me this morning:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/45918195#Comment_45918195

You can do this. Read these boards. You will learn so much here, you’ll be amazed. This is a real education in the palm of your hand.