Hamstring strain question

Hi all, looking for some advices here. I am dealing with a minor hamstring pull. It only hurts during running or walking uphill. All the advice online tells me to rest the muscle. But I was wondering if I can still do lifting and peloton as long as I don't feel the pain? I am scared to stop completely and loose my momentum :smile:

I appreciate anyone's input!

Replies

• alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Do anything that does not cause pain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Assuming you're not feeling pain, it's okay to work out. However, if you're not feeling pain that means you're not directly affecting the muscle in the first place and that's likely why you got the injury in the first place. Let me elaborate: once you're healed FOCUS on strengthening your hamstrings. Muscles get pulled because the opposing muscle (antagonist) is STRONGER. So if your quads are stronger than your hamstrings, the hamstrings suffer from pulls. It's very common with athletes to have the same problem as well. TRAIN YOUR REARS as hard as your "fronts".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I pulled my hamstring about 6 months ago now (I felt it "pop"), and unfortunately it hasn't fully healed, but it is much better. I did try to workout the same, but at lesser intensity. IF it hurt, I stopped. So, deadlifts were put on the table for a few weeks, but I could still do hip thrusts and glute bridges. I could only squat to a higher depth, as well. I would at least modify what you're doing now and rest for a few days. However, by "rest" I don't mean do nothing. I think less challenging walks (maybe not uphill) would be okay for the next few days.

I have a bad habit of trying to hop into stuff to soon after I've hurt myself, and I always pay for it later.
  • maja124moxie
    maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Assuming you're not feeling pain, it's okay to work out. However, if you're not feeling pain that means you're not directly affecting the muscle in the first place and that's likely why you got the injury in the first place. Let me elaborate: once you're healed FOCUS on strengthening your hamstrings. Muscles get pulled because the opposing muscle (antagonist) is STRONGER. So if your quads are stronger than your hamstrings, the hamstrings suffer from pulls. It's very common with athletes to have the same problem as well. TRAIN YOUR REARS as hard as your "fronts".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I think you're spot on! I've been working out on Peloton for the last few months with little strength work. Thank you so much for the helpful advice!!