A love story...

Options
nitalieben
nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
I wasn't certain whether to post this here or in Motivation and support.

I got such an immense reaction to it on my social media feeds that I realised it may need sharing here, too.

Remember in high school? Feeling so smitten and writing love letters? Every virtue of the object of your affection just spilling forth.

Have you ever written your body a love letter?

I'm guessing, not? Why would you, when we're always taught how flawed we are... always not quite flat enough, not quite curvy enough, too dimply, too squishy, too small or too big, stripy, scarred, just never quite right.

What if I told you that the first time I *cared* for my body was the catalyst that had me lose 32kgs and reach a healthy weight for the first time since I was 7? It was so ridiculous, I just decided that I'd try to properly hydrate my body. It wasn't even a weight loss goal. It changed EVERYTHING.

You see, the issue was never really my *body*...

It was ME.

I picked it apart, poked at it's so-called flaws, hated and abused it. I had this body. The only one I'll ever have. I hated it. It was too fat, too wobbly, just too "flawed". I had no idea how to care for it. So, I just ate whatever, or nothing, trying to force it to comply with all these ideas of what I was told it should be. Moving it was hard, so I just didn't. Every day I grew more sick of it.

Until one fateful day, when, instead of criticising this body, I decided to try hydrate it. Such a simple act that had my body responding so well! I didn't even notice it, at first. But this AMAZING body responded by shedding some weight! I suddenly realised I did not have to be stuck like this.

I wish I could say I never abused or mistreated my body again after that, but it would be a lie.

I put her through fasting, binged, restricted entire food groups. I did not understand. Eventually, I learned, understood. Forgave myself for acting like I did. This body bears the marks of it - selfharm, stretchmarks, loose skin - testimony to how poorly she was treated.

But this amazing body wears all of it like trophies. She's healthy, strong, resillient. She's beautiful. We're slowly, lovingly pushing our (supposed) limits now, doing the things we thought we could not do.

And I hope you see, this is not a "success story" about weight loss or fitness.

It's a love story.

Write that letter... <36hbzjxm2mlg5.jpg

Replies

• Winner_in_Life
    Winner_in_Life Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    this smashed me.... I never thought like this about my poor body
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!