Steps & not wanting to track them on MFP

Morning all,

I have a lot of weight to loose, my target is 50lbs but it probably needs to more but let’s start there.

I have my target set to lose 1/2 lb a week to start and I may make that larger in time.

I track my steps on my Apple Watch but don’t have it link to MFP as I don’t want to eat back extra calories.

For now while I have a lot to lose would people say this is okay?

Thanks

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    Considering that you have 50+lbs to lose and you're set at a very sensible 0.5lbs a week weight loss rate, I think it's probably fine to not 'eat back' your calories from steps. You'll increase your calorie deficit, but unless you're doing really long distances daily, your deficit should still be reasonable.

I would be curious to know two things though:
    - at what activity level are you set on MFP?
    - how many steps do you take daily on MFP?
    - any other daily activities (for example active job, taking care of children/pets,...) or exercise?
    Your answers to the questions above might make a difference to my answer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    However you choose to do it I would strongly suggest learning how to log food.

I don't think it's so important to worry too much about the Goal Setup in the beginning because there are so many variables that will be particular to YOU. All of the Activity Levels and the exercise calorie estimations are just that. Estimations.

All of us had to figure out our own personal calorie intake needs. Logging accuracy is the one thing that you can really control if you are doing it as closely as you can.

This first link is a How To

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

This one is just a great read

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Once you have collected your own data over a period of time you will know what to do. I would suggest you pick a "method" and a weekly goal and stick to it for 4-6 weeks, then you'll have good trending data on which to base your ongoing weight loss.

Is there some reason why you aren't choosing a more aggressive weight loss rate?
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    That should work. I personally charted 2 weeks of non diet eating and then cut my calories to 1720 from about 3,000. Then I started walking much faster and reaching 10,000 steps per day. In my case I've lost 5lbs in the last 21 days. Everyone is different but ½ per week is going to get you 2-3 lbs a month which is healthy but can get discouraging because we want instant results.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Even when it gets to point of needing better estimate of daily burn so your deficit is reasonable and eating goal appropriate - don't sync the Apple.

Wrong info sent, you won't actually get extra daily activity on MFP anyway due to that.
    By then you'll know about what you need to be eating anyway with your level of activity - not as useful then.
  • cmriverside
    However you choose to do it I would strongly suggest learning how to log food.

I don't think it's so important to worry too much about the Goal Setup in the beginning because there are so many variables that will be particular to YOU. All of the Activity Levels and the exercise calorie estimations are just that. Estimations.

All of us had to figure out our own personal calorie intake needs. Logging accuracy is the one thing that you can really control if you are doing it as closely as you can.

This first link is a How To

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

This one is just a great read

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Once you have collected your own data over a period of time you will know what to do. I would suggest you pick a "method" and a weekly goal and stick to it for 4-6 weeks, then you'll have good trending data on which to base your ongoing weight loss.

Is there some reason why you aren't choosing a more aggressive weight loss rate?

Thank you, I will have a good read once our son is in bed later.

I have not chosen a more aggressive weight loss rate at the moment as I have started and quit so often that I wanted to start easier, making smaller changes and will chose a larger loss and more exercise at a later date as I succeed with my smaller goals and targets.

Make sense.

It's easy to lose weight if you are logging food when you have a lot of weight to lose.

The reason I asked is because unless you are a good food logger and a good activity estimator, it can be easy to erase a 1/2 pound per week loss. It's only 250 calories per day below what a Maintaining Weight calorie goal would be.

That's a cookie or a glass of juice, or forgetting to log a latte.

Do what you need to do, keep good records and it makes it a lot easier.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,545 Member
    edited April 2021
    To everyone complaining about the small deficit, the plan is currently ok only because she is choosing a smaller then usual deficit on paper and applying a more than reasonable deficit in reality.

If she moves to applying a more traditional 1lb or more deficit then the plan of telling MFP that she is sedentary while engaged in a totality of activity that would put her within the Active range (and not logging extra "exercise" calories for that) will start looking less good.

She is essentially choosing a 1+lb a week rate already.

And yes, good food logging is... good!!!

Weight trend apps are also good!
  • cmriverside
    edited April 2021
    Make sense.

Hm, well that was an unfortunate typo.

What I meant was, her plan to ease into it makes sense.

(i have trouble reading this teensy tiny font in the compose message box...I certainly wasn't complaining, just stating an angle to consider.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    Make sense.

(i have trouble reading this teensy tiny font in the compose message box...I certainly wasn't complaining, just stating an angle to consider.)

@cmriverside - I have trouble with the small font too. Am using desktop. If you find a solution, please let me know.
  • cmriverside
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Make sense.

@cmriverside - I have trouble with the small font too. Am using desktop. If you find a solution, please let me know.

At least on a desktop it's easy to Ctrl+++ or Ctrl and a wheel scroll up. That's what I've been doing mostly.

Admin knows about it, I'm told it's the fault of the forum provider, Vanilla.
  • JCT1000
    JCT1000 Posts: 19 Member
    For what it’s worth, I don’t log moderate exercise- walking, gardening, etc. If I swim or do more intense cardio, I log in half the calories. I’ve been tracking consistently the past 3/4 months, and losing at my goal level, around a pound a week.