Losing 1-2lbs a week

I keep seeing that a person should not lose more than 2 lbs a week. However, I see people losing 100 lbs in 6 months. How is that possible?

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    It depends, If they are severely overweight and under the direction of a doctor - they can lose much faster. On my 600lb life, they lose 30-50lbs in two months to get their surgery. It's a different ball game.

When I started, I lost 35lbs in 6 months - I was breastfeeding a child under 1 - I consider that kind of "cheating" - I ate tons of food (2100-2400 calories, at 5'0'), but there were "other factors" at play. That was really fast weight loss, and I don't think it would be normal for someone who didn't have the post-birth, breastfeeding body changes to go with it.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    It depends on what their starting weight is. Weight loss tends to be faster in the beginning as it’s water weight. When I first started I lost 7lbs in 2 weeks which definitely wasn’t all fat loss. This time I started postpartum and while breastfeeding- I lost 5lbs a week for the first 3 weeks while trying to figure out my calories needs since it much more complicated with those factors at play. Once you get going 1-2lbs a week is sustainable and healthy. But it may be faster at first.