Feeling Guilty

Options
Ok, I want to share this because I think it might helpsomeone else. I have already posted most of it on my wall, but think it could benefit a wider range of people

I started here, really started here about 3 weeks ago, I had my calories set at 1200, and was working out like crazy I struggled with the idea of actually eating my exercise calories back. I decided to increase my calorie intake to 1500 and not change my exercise, hoping that would help with my mindset.

I feel guilty for eating more than 1200 calories, I feel like I'm cheating, some how I'm going to not loose weight or maybe even gain some.

Now I KNOW that, that is ridiclous, but thats how i feel, and it occured to me, I am changing the way I'm eating, the way i live, and this is just another thing to change. I was on the other end of the spectrum for too long, and now I am so commited to this, I am on the opposite end - but only in thought- emotion. I have to overide this thought process, just like i have to overide the desire to eat crappy food, or to sit on my couch instead of exercise. I have to train myself, emotionally, mentally and phyically to eat CORRECTLY,

All of this to say is, you have a plan, a plan you kow is going to work, stay the course know matter what your emotions say, if they really concern you seek a doctors advice, but eating HEALTHY (which includes the right amount, and the right kind of foods) is never going to be a bad thing. You can train your body and your emotions to follow this healthy life style and eventually it won't be so hard. Nothing worth anything comes easy, and this is no different. Be good to yourself, if you don't no one else can.

Replies

• sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I am "allowed" 1540 a day. I have no problem eating that and some of my exercise calories. I am not hung up on this 1200 calorie diet. This is a lifestyle change and I am not going to be stuck with eating 1200 calories the rest of my life.

On some days, like today, I am finding it difficult to eat my given amount + exercise cals. This is down to what I am eating today. I eat things I normally would do just smaller portions. Sweets are a treat only.
  • Paxie
    Paxie Posts: 9
    Options
    That is SO true!
    Great advice, and good luck with it!

Just a little site note: Remember never to over-train, especially not in the beginning. It might just hurt your muscles more than it helps. They need a little time to rebuild in strength, so if you run like me you need at least one day in between each long run, at least in the start. When your muscles have adjusted to the pressure, you can easily run each day. Just watch out and take care of yourself in the beginning, you don't want to hurt yourself!

Love and luck
    - Paxie
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That is SO true!
    Great advice, and good luck with it!

Just a little site note: Remember never to over-train, especially not in the beginning. It might just hurt your muscles more than it helps. They need a little time to rebuild in strength, so if you run like me you need at least one day in between each long run, at least in the start. When your muscles have adjusted to the pressure, you can easily run each day. Just watch out and take care of yourself in the beginning, you don't want to hurt yourself!

Love and luck
    - Paxie

Thanks, Yeah I try and only do LONG runs mon, wed, fri, on tue and thrus I like to go to cross fit or do a home video and on sat -the skinny saturday challenge, but I try to incorporate something fun, like taking my kids to go swim or walking to the park instead of driving. Sunday is my rest day or make up day incase i miss something during the week. :D
  • VolatileChocolate
    Options
    Good words and thank you for sharing them as they make sense.

I don't stick to the calories rigidly as they're set at 500 cals below the BMR and based on the option of how many lbs you want to lose in a week (I chose 2lbs a week). the deficit of 3500 cals a week based on BMR is equilvant to 1lb. So any other activities will increase your calories deficit. So don't feel guilty about eating extra cals as you've earned them.

xUna
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    Good words and thank you for sharing them as they make sense.

I don't stick to the calories rigidly as they're set at 500 cals below the BMR and based on the option of how many lbs you want to lose in a week (I chose 2lbs a week). the deficit of 3500 cals a week based on BMR is equilvant to 1lb. So any other activities will increase your calories deficit. So don't feel guilty about eating extra cals as you've earned them.

xUna

Thanks, it's something I'm working on, I've started planning my meals out ahead of time, logging them and then not looking at it, eating what I've planned cause I know its good for me. I will work through this. Its just another trial that I'm going through but like all the other one's i've overcome recently I will overcome this too. :D
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started at the same weight as you. I ate 1200 and lost 2 pounds a week for a few weeks. Then it stopped. Someone on here (Boss, then known as Banks) Pointed out I was not eating enough. I LOL at this, but listened because what did I have to lose but my fat?? :laugh:

I then started to eat 1200 plus what ever the HRM said at the end of my workout. Mostly around 200 cals because I only worked out 20-30 min at the time. BUT I was so so so much more active during the day, I knew I was burnig a bit more than normal.

Point being............I lost 1 pound a week and I was 48 and post-menepausal.......my metobism is like a snail with a hangover.

Your doing a great job it getting healthy!! I am proud there are women like you protecting my country :flowerforyou:
  • kpie11
    kpie11 Posts: 53
    Options
    I feel the same way. I've set my calorie allowance at 1200 and feel guilty if I go over. I know I have my exercise calories to rely on and that's all fine and dandy but I for some reason feel good seeing the you've completed your diary under your goal calorie count. I was in the same boat as you, eating a bunch of bad crap and not caring. Now, I'm the other extreme always worrying about what I'm eating and what the calorie count of it is. I couldn't even enjoy the brownie I had Tuesday because I was so worried it was going to push me over my allowance for the day, which it did. But, that's ok. I figure, eventually, the pendulum will stop in the middle of the two extremes and I'll just be "healthy". At least that's the goal. Just stay strong and focused and we'll all be here to help!

Good luck
    Katie
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    :smile:
    I am 5'2" and started at the same weight as you. I ate 1200 and lost 2 pounds a week for a few weeks. Then it stopped. Someone on here (Boss, then known as Banks) Pointed out I was not eating enough. I LOL at this, but listened because what did I have to lose but my fat?? :laugh:

I then started to eat 1200 plus what ever the HRM said at the end of my workout. Mostly around 200 cals because I only worked out 20-30 min at the time. BUT I was so so so much more active during the day, I knew I was burnig a bit more than normal.

Point being............I lost 1 pound a week and I was 48 and post-menepausal.......my metobism is like a snail with a hangover.

Your doing a great job it getting healthy!! I am proud there are women like you protecting my country :flowerforyou:

Thank you very much. :D
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Guys do not feel guilty! This is about working food into your life and controlling what you eat, not about starving yourself to lose weight.

I have lost 45 pounds eating more than 1200 calories a day. In fact, I usually eat more like 1400 to 1500 calories a day and that is if I do not workout. YOU HAVE TO EAT! Do not feel bad.

With that being said, I was the same as you guys at first. It has taken me a year to really learn about my body, what works for me, what I need to do to make this a life style and how I can do it and enjoy it. If you stick with it, you will get there too.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    Guys do not feel guilty! This is about working food into your life and controlling what you eat, not about starving yourself to lose weight.

I have lost 45 pounds eating more than 1200 calories a day. In fact, I usually eat more like 1400 to 1500 calories a day and that is if I do not workout. YOU HAVE TO EAT! Do not feel bad.

With that being said, I was the same as you guys at first. It has taken me a year to really learn about my body, what works for me, what I need to do to make this a life style and how I can do it and enjoy it. If you stick with it, you will get there too.

Thats excatly what I'm trying to say, I know that feeling guilty and starving myself isn't good---- and I wanted to post this for other people who feel like me to know there is a way to get past it. That it isn't healthy and to work through it.