Should bigger people be doing Insanity?

Options
Hey, I was just wondering about everyone's views on this, because I'd like to know what you think. I'm 19, weigh 230lbs, and have started the Insanity 60 day work out from Beachbody.

This program, I've recently discovered, is made for already fit people looking to better themselves. That said, should overweight people be attempting these things? Has anyone here done it? If so, what's your story?

I'm on day 5 myself, and I'm finding it really difficult, but at the same time, I'm really enjoying it. Some of the moves, I have to modify a little so I'm able to give my all instead of just not being able to do things, but is this the way to go for bigger people, or would people recommend a different method?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Insanity has a lot of advanced exercises, so it's more appropriate for someone with a good base level of fitness and who has done similar movements recently. And even with that base level of conditioning, the high impact "plyometric" movements may cause injuries with some "bigger people". I'm sure you'll find a few bigger folks who have done Insanity with no problem, but i would recommend doing a program with less impact, like P90X.. or at least skipping most of the jumping exercises of Insanity.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I did it at 390lbs and lost 30lbs doing it.

You will have to modify a few things, and you can search on youtube as you go how to do that.

Work at your own pace, and enjoy it.
  • roadrunner570
    Options
    I weigh just under 300 lbs and I been doing it almost a week. I have to modify a lot though. Instead of the burpees, I sometimes just have to hold myself in the plank position as long as I can. For a lot of the jumping and bouncing moves, I just do high knees in place or do calf raises, if nothing else I jog in place to keep moving. So it can be done, but its ok to modify it until you can actually do them without a problem IMO
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just modify any movements you need to and go at a challenging pace, whatever that means for YOU and your body.

the important thing is that you're doing something that you enjoy. stick with it and you might eventually be able to do all the moves as shown in the video