any sucess with exercising and not counting calories?

Options
For months I have been trying to count calories...I have tried different strategies...eating x amount plus working out...eating x amount and not working out...low carb...alternate day fasting...I stick to something for 10 days max...until I hit my breaking point...and then binge away for 2 days, and am back where I started. between 2007 and 2011 I had 3 children and had anywhere between 20-50 pounds to lose after I lost my pregnancy fluids and the other weight that goes away within week after giving birth. I didn't count calories..I exercised, nursed, and made better choices.. picking reduced fat versions of food, 1 cookies vs. 3 cookies, no second helpings at dinner..you get the picture :)

anyways.... for the last week i said screw it, im justing going to strap on my heart rate monitor and burn 500-700 calories a workout and try to make better choices. so far i have been eating 3 square meals....before i was eating 5-6 small meals a day, and was obsessed with counting calories..i know how some people don't exercise and just rely on eating low calories to lose weight..i have no idea how people can do that...to me it just makes sense to wake up, workout, and eat normal, not unhealthy, but just normal.

anyone else with a similar story?? its only been a week but i'm looking for success with exercising and not counting calories...counting calories makes me sad lol.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 25lbs without counting calories so it's entirely possible. Most people just find it easier to cut out 500cals than burn it off everyday. It also means they know they're not burning off 500cals and then eating most of them back, because they're counting what they eat. Just find what works best for you and go for it, it should give you the same end result, weight loss.
  • karimonahan
    karimonahan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    hey
    pretty similiar stories, i had my 3 kids between 2007-2011 too. im not sure how ppl lose weight either by just changing their foods, you need to exercise to have the best results. although i do count cal, not because i want to limit my food intake, but to understand food better. i found that by tracking my foods, i started to make better choices and pick up on foods that would keep me fuller for longer, as well as what foods gave me the most vitamins ect. i usually have enough workout cal's that if i want to eat more i can and not 'feel' bad about it.
  • 3sixtyFit
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight without counting calories. Just make healthy choices and stay active. I know many people who have including myself.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Several times, I've amped up my activity and lost weight. But the fact that I always yo-yoed back up the scale proves that approach didn't work- - -for ME.

If a person has trouble making good food choices, "just doing it" is not a realistic option for the long term. I need the accountability of the food diary and the nutritional information to really learn the best choices and remind myself to make them.

Not saying you can't "just do it" but I think you'll have greater success if you build in some kind of accountability.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't log calories. That said, I have an idea of the relative calorie count of most foods and I eat as much as I want of things like fruits and green vegetables, watch portion sizes carefully for meats and legumes, and when it comes to genuine junk food I always read the nutrition labels and determine whether the experience is worth the fat and calories. Sometimes it is and I enjoy it guilt-free, but most of the time it isn't and I pass it up. I also generally avoid cream sauces, fried foods, and anything with a lot of cheese, and I do 5:2 fasting.

I plateaued about a year ago at 130 (I'm 5'7) and am happy with that. I used to be closer to 150.

As for exercise, I do an hour of cardio a day on weekdays and closer to two on the weekends. I wear a heart rate monitor so I have an idea of how hard I'm working and I think that's really challenged me to kick my workouts up a notch. I'm 60 and don't want to bring on a heart attack, so I don't exercise at my max, but like to maintain something over 120 bpm, occasionally hitting the 130s and grazing the 140s. Yesterday I did a 31-mile charity bike ride (pic in my avatar) and burned over 1,400 calories. I need to do that more often!

And yes, that's beer in the red cup (which I enjoyed after getting sufficient water after the race). I earned it!
  • kewpiecyster
    kewpiecyster Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I went from 375 to 298 not counting calories (have never counted before). However - I was stuck at 298 for over 6 months...and that is why I joined MFP. Now that I am counting - I am losing again. It is totally possible to lose without counting, provided you make good choices for yourself.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i've never counted cals to depressing. i think i'm doing great just change what you eat and drink and have thing in moderation is key