Strange start to this time around - need advice

mrmarkfr
mrmarkfr Posts: 10 Member
edited April 2021 in Motivation and Support
I've used MFP over that last 10 years on and off, and at my best, I lost 60lbs, so as many people say, this is not my first rodeo. I'm back at it again, and this time, my body is not acting the same as previous. I'm a big guy ,6'1, 300lbs, and I've been back on track for 16 days. I was off to a great start, lost 4 lbs by cutting out chips (my weakness), and started eating healthier (lower fat, high protein), and if I do have a drink, it's a bloody mary, G&T (with sugar free tonic), or something low cal similar, but even those are maybe 1-2 per week
I started walking again(30-45 mins, every day or so), and have been averaging 1932 calories (or 1750 net calories) per day, on a target of 2322 calories (based on losing 1lb per week).
My body isn't moving. I dropped about 5 lbs in the first couple of days, and I'm now 1.5lbs heavier than that, and gaining a lb/day some days.
Is it because I'm not eating my allotted calories? I remember way back in the WW days, that you had to eat all your points. Is it because I'm 300-500 cals short per day that is causing the issues?
My wife is saying that she's seeing some changes on me, she's losing steadily, slowly but steady, and has lost more than me so far, which is a first for the times we've dieted together, she's eating more of her calories, and exercising less.
I am trying to front load my day with calories better, I was having some nights that I would still have 1200-1400 calories to eat when dinner came, so I'm having higher cal breakfasts and lunches now, but still not hitting my calorie goals, and I don't want to eat junk at the end of the day to just hit my calorie count.

Anyone else suffer with the same results at the beginning of their journey?

Replies

• Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    My journey is different every time. Alcohol and sodium both cause major water retention that will effect your weigh ins. I lower my sodium and remove alcohol so I don't have as many weigh in up down spikes. I also have the same weekly exercise routine and daily water goals. By keeping your weeks very similarly mapped out this way you see less upward spikes. That being said it takes me 3weeks to see loses on the scale when I'm working out hard but then my losses are steady and consistent. You may need more time my friend.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Also this is going to be a TMI bit but relevant: Many people forget how you weigh in matters. I weigh in my birthday suit every morning on mornings I'm able to go number 2 after drinking an energy shot equivalent to 5hour energy. Why because as my husband says "I can #2 5lbs" if your empty when weighing 1 day but full up the next the stool in your GI tract can easily in a big guy or even ladies like myself cause a 2-3lb variation.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited April 2021
    My tip to anyone is that the human body is not efficient and predictable in the short term. So my 'rule' is to compare changes in weight over time. The change in weight from one day to the next is too easily influenced by shifts in water weight. The ounces that you may lose in a day: too small a quantity to really be able to 'see' beyond water weight shifts. And even the ounces added up over several days or a week: can be hidden by water changes. SO compare weight now with your weight 1 month ago. That (in my opinion) is enough time to see past the water fluctuations.

And as others have explained - be consistent with your weighins. Same scale, same level of clothing, same point in your day. If you weigh this morning after using the bathroom/first waking up and then weigh a different time 1 hour after eating lunch: it is like comparing apples to oranges. The level of clothing, quantity of food, drink, waste in process varies during the day. So those things impact your weighin.

Accurately & honestly log all your calories in, and trust the science. Repeat.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,522 Member
    Give it more time. No losses or even gains after starting a new exercise is probably the most common complaint on this board. If you just started a walking program it’s likely water weight. Newly stressed muscles retain water.
  • mrmarkfr
    mrmarkfr Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for all the advice, starting to drop as I was expecting. Down 6.4lbs in 3 weeks, so it's starting to happen. The tip about the muscles retaining water made sense to me. Thanks again.