Does aspartame cause weight gain?

I've been maintaining my weight for several months; about a month ago I started using aspartame instead of Stevia Leaf to save money; I've been gaining weight steadily in small increments ever since. Is aspartame a culprit?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    It has zero calories. Something else is going on.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    No
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Nope
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Some people have reported an increase in hunger after consuming artificial sweeteners (causing excess snacking), but aspartame has zero calories in the usual consumption amounts, so it cannot cause weight gain.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Sounds like it's about more than calories here. I just read an article (not sure how authoritative it is but will share a link here) that says that it can increase food cravings and doesn't send a signal to stop eating, so you have to continue logging everything and resist eating more just because you might feel hungrier. And the article also said that it encourages your body to store fat, the opposite of the effect we'd want it to have. So just maybe?? Just keep doing your logging diligently and keep drinking your water and see if things level off.

https://globalhealing.com/natural-health/aspartame-makes-you-gain-weight/
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Sounds like it's about more than calories here. I just read an article (not sure how authoritative it is but will share a link here) that says that it can increase food cravings and doesn't send a signal to stop eating, so you have to continue logging everything and resist eating more just because you might feel hungrier. And the article also said that it encourages your body to store fat, the opposite of the effect we'd want it to have. So just maybe?? Just keep doing your logging diligently and keep drinking your water and see if things level off.

https://globalhealing.com/natural-health/aspartame-makes-you-gain-weight/

You can find articles to back any claim being made.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nope
  • RosannaPrism
    RosannaPrism Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you all! I appreciate your objective responses and the information some of you provided. I'll keep on with my logging and staying under my calorie budget and see if this is just a fluke.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Thank you all! I appreciate your objective responses and the information some of you provided. I'll keep on with my logging and staying under my calorie budget and see if this is just a fluke.

No harm in checking things on a food scale, if you're not already. It can be easy to let those quantities slightly increase over time if you're not consistently weighing and measuring. And if aspartame does have the side effect of making you munchier, you might subconsciously be a little more generous in your portions.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I've been maintaining my weight for several months; about a month ago I started using aspartame instead of Stevia Leaf to save money; I've been gaining weight steadily in small increments ever since. Is aspartame a culprit?

A month of gaining - how much weight?
    How many days actually?

Math can always be done for some clues.

Some people it can cause bloating stomach issues, same as some people get gassy eating a bagel.
    It's a personal effect, sometimes personal sensitivity.

I know more that have stomach issue with sucralose and aspartame works just fine. Actually, I know more that have bad issues with sugar alcohol substitutes, often used in Atkins items.

If the math points to water weight gain, those may be the reasons and a swap to another substitute could be tried.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Something without calories (energy) cannot directly result in fat gain - where's the excess energy coming from to be stored as fat?

Can something without calories cause non-fat weight gain? Possibly.

Here's a brilliant thread explaining exactly what it is and refuting some of the myths and legends around aspartame - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    It shouldn't. How many packets a day do you use? In reality it's about 3 to 4 calories a packet(due to maltodextrin and/or dextrose added as flowing agent/s), even though it states it has 0 calories.