Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Gained 7lbs in one day?

gpanda103gpanda103 Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
Is a weight fluctuation like this normal?

Replies

• LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 2,060 Member Member Posts: 2,060 Member
    For me it wouldn't be, but some people have weight fluctuations like that, yes. High sodium intake and/or high volume of food the previous day, heavy exercise the previous day, air travel: those are the main culprits for fluctuations like that.

Or it's your scale acting up. Batteries need replacing? Or perhaps you placed it on an uneven surface?

(PS: just to be sure: you did weigh under the same circumstances both days: same clothes (or none), same time, after peeing, etc.?)
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,449 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,449 Member
    It would be normal for me.
  • sweetaddict123sweetaddict123 Member Posts: 112 Member Member Posts: 112 Member
    I don't think I've ever had 7 but I have had up to 5.
  • rosebarnalicerosebarnalice Member Posts: 3,190 Member Member Posts: 3,190 Member
    I have a regular 5 lb swing.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,105 Member Member Posts: 39,105 Member
    I would say that it's not normal for me...like in as a matter of routine. My fluctuations are +/-3 or less, but a large swing isn't unheard of either depending. I usually see a larger swing if I've eaten a meal or two out...usually sodium as well as larger portions of food...or if I've been traveling, particularly by air, but also long stints of sitting in the car.
  • tsazanitsazani Member Posts: 696 Member Member Posts: 696 Member
    We hold about 400g of glucose (glycogen) in our bodies. Every gram of glycogen is accompanied by 4 grams of water.

So when you burn 1g glycogen you will lose 5g of weight. When you replace that gram of carbs you will gain 5g of weight.

When you lose 1g of fat you lose 1g of weight. That's just the way we work.
  • goal06082021goal06082021 Member Posts: 910 Member Member Posts: 910 Member
    Did you black out and eat two dozen sticks of butter last night?

No?

Then you didn't gain 7lbs of fat overnight. It's retained water and/or food in transit, or you didn't weigh yourself under the same circumstances (same time of day, same clothes if any, same scale in the same place, same amount of time since last you used the toilet, same amount of time since last you ate or drank anything), or all of those things. Bodies are dumb. Pay attention to the overall trend over time (like a month or more), not day-to-day.