ketosis

Options

Replies

• suprzonic
    suprzonic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi - i'm new to keto. I started last Thursday. It took me a couple of days to be in ketosis. I've lost 1kg in 2 days (2 pounds?) My diary is public if you want to check it out. I also started IF yesterday - doing 17 hr fast every day (from 2pm to 7am). I'm not exercising at all
  • VanCityFit
    VanCityFit Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach eggs so I feel quite limited when it comes to breakfast. I make sure my meals are clean though, no processed foods. I feel like lunch meats are pumped full of sodium and nitrates and I'm not a fan. I am going to try and get a bit more creative this time so that I don't get bored or feel the urge to cheat.

You have to have FATS in th Keto diet in order for it to work properly... Chicken (high protein) Broccoli (carb) you have to add butter, coconut oil, cheese, bacon, avacado, mayo..etc that what keeps people able to continue this way of eating for lifetime.. You can also get nitrate free meats and low sodium products

Yes I get my fats from coconut oil and almond or walnuts, sometimes all natty PB.
  • chirosche
    chirosche Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success switching their body into a ketosis mode?? If so what does your meal plan look like???

It's something you really have to dive into. Atkins site is a good start. I am doing the low carb lifestyle right now. I have done it quite successfully in the past (like 10 years ago). I lost all the weight I wanted. This time though I'm having a sluggish start because of hidden carbs in food. Really learn what is in the food you are eating. I found out I was having a water drink (Glaceau Zero Water) and it turns out it has 4 net carbs per serving. I was having 2 of those a day. Believe it or not eggs have carbs too and must be counted. Also Splenda was a big carb adder. 1 carb per teaspoon and I was having 3 teaspoons per cup of coffee, plus tea later in the day with 3-6 more. I wasn't counting those carbs. I'm on Induction or Ultra Low Carb eating (ULC). I'm doing the Carb Nite Solution. Just started. I'm pretty excited. You have to be ULC (30g or less per day) the first 10 days, then you refeed. Basically, have a free day to eat what you like. This triggers fat loss for the next few days after refeeding. Now that I've got a handle on my carb intake and watching what I put in my mouth, I think I can get back to losing again. I was wondering what was wrong and I must have been having probably 20g carbs over what I was supposed to--like 40g. I'm eating 20g a day. I have my first refeeding on this Wednesday.

Good luck, but count all those carbs!! It's so vital to losing weight on this diet. If you would like to see my diary, please friend me, and you can see what I've been eating. For me, I have bacon and eggs (with coconut oil), Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast. I prefer to get a nice salad with avocado and cheese. I make my on vinergarette. I use Just Like Sugar and Stevia now INSTEAD of splenda. I had great success in the past. I was very strict about the carbs and before I even learned about the Carb Nite Solution, I was having a once a week feeding which included and nice bowl of pasta, icecream, etc. Then right back on track. I lost really fast doing this. You should probably do about 60-120 minutes of walking or whatever cardio you like. If you really get the hang of it, you might even want to do the Carb Back Loading protocol which seems to be for people who want to get really low body fat and develop their muscles. I'm going to stick with CNS for now to lose the body fat first with normal exercise and weight training. I'll wait and see if I want to do the Carb Back Loading at that point.

Hope this helps. Would love to be friends and support each other during the journey. I'm really knowledgeable about low carb dieting.
  • amyrob56
    amyrob56 Posts: 27
    Options
    Got bumped out of Keto - why didn't I THINK!!!!

Was at an Arthur Murray dance party Tuesday night. Ignored all the treats but completely spaced on the "punch"! It was the hottest night of the year and the theme was "Grease" came on the motorcycle with leathers and a pink "Frenchie" wig. I was dying from the heat and drank a large glass of punch! Wed morning = out of Keto. Dam# I won't make that mistake again..... GRRR
  • pinkncrazee
    pinkncrazee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Will you share your keto candy recipe?
    My breakfast is usually an egg omelette or a keto crepe(made with one egg and two tbsps of cream cheese). Lunch is either deli meat and cheese or chicken. Dinner is tuna or eggs. I also eat home-made fat bombs, which are basically keto candy where it's high fat and very low carb. My ticker is an indicator of keto's success thus far.

This one is my latest. It tastes kind of like a peanut butter cup!

1.5 sticks butter
    1/3 cup peanut butter
    4 tbsp nutella

Melt the butter, then add the peanut butter, and lastly add the nutella. Place in ice cube tray or a mini-muffin tin. Put in the freezer for about 3-4 hours. Enjoy! One serving has 3 carbs and 12 grams of fat.

I AM SOOOO TRYING THIS!!!
  • SEC_RULES
    SEC_RULES Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    How do you know when you are in keto? And do you still count calories?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I'm currently counting now, but hadn't from April till about 2 days ago. I slipped into maintenance sometime around late July and so I started counting again to see where I was at.

As I suspected, I had been consuming enough calories to maintain 137#, well short of my 120# goal for my 5' frame. Even with keto, you need to stay within your calorie limits, it's just easier because of all the yummerlicious things we're eating, or not so much as the case may be :laugh:

for 'Keto in a nutshell' go to:
    https://docs.google.com/a/allseasonpetsitters.com/document/d/1gZfJejOM8fJsX1iCilmnpp1qmT_KncJwWCR4-EsaEHc/edit?pli=1

for more information & keto forum, go to:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

:drinker:
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

When your breath can knock down anyone with in 5 feet of you :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

It's not worth it.
  • blmurphy37
    blmurphy37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amyrob56
    Options
    Yes, You still count calories and use MFP to monitor fat, carbs & protien. The breath thing varies with people and how deep into ketosis...not really an issue for me.

I use the urine test strips you can get at any pharmacy to test. You do not need to go into the very dark mode - just a trace means you are in the zone. After two months I don't really need the strips anymore.....I can pretty much tell when I have blown it.

two to three days back on plan will ususally get me back into ketosis.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success switching their body into a ketosis mode?? If so what does your meal plan look like???

It's something you really have to dive into. Atkins site is a good start. I am doing the low carb lifestyle right now. I have done it quite successfully in the past (like 10 years ago). I lost all the weight I wanted. This time though I'm having a sluggish start because of hidden carbs in food. Really learn what is in the food you are eating. I found out I was having a water drink (Glaceau Zero Water) and it turns out it has 4 net carbs per serving. I was having 2 of those a day. Believe it or not eggs have carbs too and must be counted. Also Splenda was a big carb adder. 1 carb per teaspoon and I was having 3 teaspoons per cup of coffee, plus tea later in the day with 3-6 more. I wasn't counting those carbs. I'm on Induction or Ultra Low Carb eating (ULC). I'm doing the Carb Nite Solution. Just started. I'm pretty excited. You have to be ULC (30g or less per day) the first 10 days, then you refeed. Basically, have a free day to eat what you like. This triggers fat loss for the next few days after refeeding. Now that I've got a handle on my carb intake and watching what I put in my mouth, I think I can get back to losing again. I was wondering what was wrong and I must have been having probably 20g carbs over what I was supposed to--like 40g. I'm eating 20g a day. I have my first refeeding on this Wednesday.

Good luck, but count all those carbs!! It's so vital to losing weight on this diet. If you would like to see my diary, please friend me, and you can see what I've been eating. For me, I have bacon and eggs (with coconut oil), Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast. I prefer to get a nice salad with avocado and cheese. I make my on vinergarette. I use Just Like Sugar and Stevia now INSTEAD of splenda. I had great success in the past. I was very strict about the carbs and before I even learned about the Carb Nite Solution, I was having a once a week feeding which included and nice bowl of pasta, icecream, etc. Then right back on track. I lost really fast doing this. You should probably do about 60-120 minutes of walking or whatever cardio you like. If you really get the hang of it, you might even want to do the Carb Back Loading protocol which seems to be for people who want to get really low body fat and develop their muscles. I'm going to stick with CNS for now to lose the body fat first with normal exercise and weight training. I'll wait and see if I want to do the Carb Back Loading at that point.

Hope this helps. Would love to be friends and support each other during the journey. I'm really knowledgeable about low carb dieting.

I was just looking at your diary, how is carb night working for you? I am not going as low carb as many do (but I do remain in ketosis I check daily) Not sure how much that would affect a carb refeeding night or not. I.E I am not sure how necessary it is for me since It is moderate low carb instead of low low carb.. but I like the idea of having a carb night once a week or so.
  • JuicyPoofs
    JuicyPoofs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Keto rules, give it a try. Look at my ticker for proof, lost 45lbs in about 3-4 months (and that's with taking a couple breaks for 1-2 weeks and cheat meals here and there, so I wasn't 100% strict with it the entire time).

The first "shock" of not eating carbs can be hard to get over, (You mean I can't have bread/pasta/chips/potatoes/fruits OMFG!). But once you get past that, it's pretty straight forward.

The first week can be rough, as some experience "keto-flu", wherein your body is changing from using carbs as a primary fuel source to using fats as your primary fuel source. Effects can range from Dirahhea, Insomnia, Bad Breath, Headaches, Light-headedness, Tired, ect.. My "keto-flu" only lasts about the first 72 hours and it's just mild Dirahhea and some Insomnia.

The good news is once your past the "flu", your in ketosis and your burning stored fats as a primary energy source. It's not unheard of to lose 10-15+ lbs in the first 2 weeks, granted most of this is water weight (you retain less water when in ketosis) it's still impressive.

Once your past the initial water weight loss, the lb's drop off much slower. But I still consistantly lose 2-3 lbs a week on ketosis into my 4th month on it.

The best part of ketosis (besides the rapid weight loss) is the burst of energy you get. I sleep less hours than I did when I was eating carbs, I also wake up much earlier than when eating carbs, and I have more energy throughout the day, and I never feel bogged down after a meal. Luckily I don't get the bad breath associated with ketosis, your mileage may vary.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Keto rules, give it a try. Look at my ticker for proof, lost 45lbs in about 3-4 months (and that's with taking a couple breaks for 1-2 weeks and cheat meals here and there, so I wasn't 100% strict with it the entire time).

The first "shock" of not eating carbs can be hard to get over, (You mean I can't have bread/pasta/chips/potatoes/fruits OMFG!). But once you get past that, it's pretty straight forward.

The first week can be rough, as some experience "keto-flu", wherein your body is changing from using carbs as a primary fuel source to using fats as your primary fuel source. Effects can range from Dirahhea, Insomnia, Bad Breath, Headaches, Light-headedness, Tired, ect.. My "keto-flu" only lasts about the first 72 hours and it's just mild Dirahhea and some Insomnia.

The good news is once your past the "flu", your in ketosis and your burning stored fats as a primary energy source. It's not unheard of to lose 10-15+ lbs in the first 2 weeks, granted most of this is water weight (you retain less water when in ketosis) it's still impressive.

Once your past the initial water weight loss, the lb's drop off much slower. But I still consistantly lose 2-3 lbs a week on ketosis into my 4th month on it.

The best part of ketosis (besides the rapid weight loss) is the burst of energy you get. I sleep less hours than I did when I was eating carbs, I also wake up much earlier than when eating carbs, and I have more energy throughout the day, and I never feel bogged down after a meal. Luckily I don't get the bad breath associated with ketosis, your mileage may vary.

^^^^^ This!

I've been in ketosis since June 3rd, and I've lost 43 lbs since then.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you are getting test strips - cut them in half length wise. They go twice as far and you can test more often. If you are complusive. Like I am...
  • hookilau
    Options
    If you are getting test strips - cut them in half length wise. They go twice as far and you can test more often. If you are complusive. Like I am...

great idea!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blmurphy37
    blmurphy37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i started today! im hoping it goes well!
  • hookilau
    Options
    Good luck, my dear. carb flu sucks, but the rewards are definitely worth it. Don't forget that in order to lose weight (if that's your goal) a modest deficit is still needed :drinker:
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Good luck, my dear. carb flu sucks, but the rewards are definitely worth it. Don't forget that in order to lose weight (if that's your goal) a modest deficit is still needed :drinker:

Carb flu can suck, but it's primarily an issue of sodium and electrolytes.

From "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" Low carb diets are natriuretic - they make the kidneys dump sodium. Sodium deficiency can cause headache, dizziness and fatigue. With continued low carb intake and sodium restriction, at some point your kidneys start to excrete potassium in order to conserve sodium. Potassium deficiency can lead to muscle cramps, cardiac dysrythmia. it can also cause the body to lose muscle, even when there's plenty of protein in the diet.

So - easiest thing to do, especially for those starting up is to drink a cup of chicken broth. I keep bouillon cubes at work, and will pop one in a cup of hot water. To make this even better, once dissolved, ad 2 tbsp heavy cream. The fat satiates and helps with cravings; the sodium keeps the carb flu at bay.

Good Luck! Come join us over at the keto or Low Carber forums.
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just a short note on Ketosis. A process of weight loss by making you ILL,. A must to avoid.

There is no doubt that it works - you will lose weight by forcing your body process and denying an essential part of your healthy requirements. There is also no doubt that it does harm to the cardiovascular system in the longer term. If you shy away from carbohydrates then you are denying yourself the basic starchy foods of your ancestors - Meat and fish contain saturated fat and cholesterol - eat plenty and your levels will go up. Meat also contains anti-biotics and other additives - and you end up cooking it in oils.- do you really want this kind of fat in your veins?. Moderation is the key - being under your calorific level is the key and a healthy diet with carbs, vegetables and starchy food is the best way to live longer and avoid high blood pressure, diabetes and all of those ailments associated with meat and dairy products.

Robert Atkins died from a fall outside his office. But the autopsy revealed heart disease. If you value your mortality - do not go this way
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!