Weight loss myths

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    It's been the key to my success too, and the last is a myth.

The other 3? It can be all of those things and is variable by individual.

(I have family with serious EDs. It would be difficult, damaging and unsustainable for them.)

Yeah, I get a bit manic and obsessive when I use calorie counting. I still haven't found the key to long term success for me, but lower carb eating keeps me away from binges longer than all things in moderation. Instead, I do "some things on a very rare basis, preferably paired with a good workout." Which probably sounds disordered to some people, but I am diabetic, so moving my body well on a higher carb day is important to my health.

@concordancia, @wunderkindking,I don't disagree that calorie counting will work for everyone. There's no one dietary approach that will work for everyone. A keto diet could be bad news for a cardiac patient, and a high carb diet could be bad for a diabetic. That doesn't mean that these are bad strategies in general. There are always exceptions.

But I think that calorie counting is woefully underappreciated. The conspiracy theorist in me says that this is because no one makes money off of it. I think many people would be successful if they legitimately tried it and stuck with it. I was reading @RunsWithBees excellent post from a few weeks ago which touches on many themes that I have observed over the years. See here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10826289/fitness-and-diet-myths-that-just-wont-go-away/p7

Keep in mind that there are people who actively argue against calorie counting and "CICO", as if this were a fad diet instead of a law of nature. This stuff makes me unreasonably angry:

What is this CICO diet, and is it really as bad as people are claiming?

10 Reasons to Avoid CICO, the New Fad Diet

3 Reasons Why Counting Calories Doesn't Work (And What to Do Instead!)

You've got the good Google-fu going, for sure: Those links are appallingly, ridiculously awful. 😬
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    those article are ridiculous.

At least the last one was arguing against calorie counting rather than CICO

and whilst I accept that calorie counting, as a method, is not for everyone - their reasons were absurd

and all 3 presented the false dichotomy that it is calorie counting vs nutritious eating - as if one somehow cannot do both or people calorie counting are just living on chips and cakes

I'd argue one of the great things about calorie counting is that it works with all styles of eating. Want to focus on nutrient-rich foods? It will work. Want to have cake sometimes? It also works. It's flexible and that's one reason why I'm such a fan.
  • aacha0908
    aacha0908 Posts: 12 Member
    I heard some time ago that men lose weight quicker than women because men usually have more muscles and muscles help to burn more calories. just another myth? 🙂
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Please , no one post that mental health issues play no part in weight gain. That may be your experience but it is not mine. I went to therapy to resolve a binge eating disorder and since then am learning emotional regulation skills and have lost 77 pounds and still losing. Therapy has improved the quality of my life immensely.

Of course mental health issues can play a part in weight gain, and (IMO) commonly do! Therapy can be extremely helpful, probably even among many people who don't feel as if they need it. I don't understand why there's more stigma around therapy, in our common culture, than there is around (say) consulting a registered dietitian for advice within their professional expertise.

It's a myth, I think, that mental health issues are *universally* behind excess body weight, because there are other potential contributors/causes as well. (We've seen people post here sometimes claiming that excess weight is universally a mental health issue in some way. But I don't see you as saying that in your post - not at all.)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    those article are ridiculous.

At least the last one was arguing against calorie counting rather than CICO

and whilst I accept that calorie counting, as a method, is not for everyone - their reasons were absurd

and all 3 presented the false dichotomy that it is calorie counting vs nutritious eating - as if one somehow cannot do both or people calorie counting are just living on chips and cakes

I'd argue one of the great things about calorie counting is that it works with all styles of eating. Want to focus on nutrient-rich foods? It will work. Want to have cake sometimes? It also works. It's flexible and that's one reason why I'm such a fan.

Oh I agree.

But the articles all posted as though calorie counting automatically equated eating ONLY nutrient poor foods like cake and chips
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Keto is the only way. Intermittent fasting is the only way. Drinking bulletproof coffee at 8:27am - and only 8:27am- while riding a Pygmy elephant in silk pajamas is the only way.

Crap! I tried to cheat and save a little money. Went with the cheap cotton pajamas. Hopefully I can get a refund on the elephant.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    edited April 2021
    Keto is the only way. Intermittent fasting is the only way. Drinking bulletproof coffee at 8:27am - and only 8:27am- while riding a Pygmy elephant in silk pajamas is the only way.

Crap! I tried to cheat and save a little money. Went with the cheap cotton pajamas. Hopefully I can get a refund on the elephant.

The refund policy is quite liberal. It’s the return shipping that’s gonna be a *kitten*.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    I saw a headline as I was checking out at the grocery store : LOSE 56 POUNDS BY MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!!

The magazine’s “date” was April 25th. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s 56 pounds in 36 days.

And we wonder why people come here and quit when they don’t lose ten pounds their first week. People’s expectations are so skewed because of unscrupulous media, marketers , and social media.

Hey, hey, hey now... this is totally doable... I might have to sacrifice 1 or 2 body parts along the way but I CAN TOTALLY lose 56 pounds in the next 36 days!!!

Before I start getting hate mail, I am totally joking here... :smile: