How Does Non-Cardio Register

Hello,

I have just started using the fitness tracker and today... I went to the gym for the first time in a long, long time. I have been watching my steps register on my device over the last month, tracking my diet and seeing the calorie deficit in the app.

Today at the gym I did weights (although it was cardio with weights). This doesn't count as steps, and when I manually inputted the exercise on My Fitness Pal, it didn't alter the calories.

Can anyone advise on how you may do that? Or is it just an area we can't get too hung up about?

Thanks. (This is my first post on here too...)

Al

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Only cardio entries on MFP will reflect a calorie burn - you can use the Strength section to put in sets and reps and weight, if you want to use MFP to track that, but if you're logging it for the calorie burn you'll want to use the "Strength training" entry in the cardio list. Not intuitive, I know, but honestly strength training doesn't burn all that many calories in and of itself. It's good for you, so definitely keep doing it, though! More muscular bodies tend to have higher TDEEs than less-muscular bodies of the same size.