Struggling in this weight loss path

Options
Hi! I’m 37, female, live in north Alabama. I have been struggling with my weight almost all my life. I’ve seriously tried to do something to lose weight 5 times in my life and they all worked. But then I gained it all back and a lot more on top of the original loss. My last attempt was a year ago when I joined WW for the first time. I lost 14lbs in those 3 months, and then the pandemic hit so out the window my “new and healthier” lifestyle went.

I work 5-6 days a week for 9-12 hours a day. I weighed myself for the first time in over a year exactly 1 week ago. I am almost at my highest weight ever, CW: 248lbs. I am just 5’5” so I am morbidly obese at this point. I have been keeping track of my food for the past week and have managed to stay in a healthy caloric intake daily. I have been swapping the sugar loaded foods I love so much for healthier choices.

What I am looking for is basically a support system. I live alone here, I have had no friends since moving here 2 years ago. My family and friends live thousands of miles away and with this pandemic I have been so isolated that I’ve been eating my feelings for the past year.

I want to be able to feel comfortable in my own skin and be healthy for once! I have high blood pressure that is being managed medically and I am celiac. My GW as of this week is 145lbs. I want to stay on this path and reach my goal.

Let’s keep each other motivated! This is a long journey to reach this goal and we all need someone to be there to celebrate the small victories with us as well as be there supporting us through the setbacks. :)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • Hsvaquita
    Hsvaquita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
    Thank you :)
  • RqAZ
    RqAZ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You had a good week! Good for you. You should not be friendless! You work many days and lots of hours but you have to find a way to interact. Is there any way you would be open to doing something like participating with a Meet Up Group in your area? There are often outdoor events (not necessarily athletic in nature if that is not your thing) where people just show up at a given time and destination for a particular activity.. Most of them don't know anyone but it is a way to meet some people. And it is more pandemic- safe than indoor stuff. If it suits you, could you adopt a dog from a shelter? Dog parks have the friendliest people, in my experience, and there is so much love that passes between dog and owner. You won't be lonely. Plus good exercise in walking your baby. Maybe concentrate a little less on your eventual GW which can seem daunting. Set a small goal this week and let us know how it goes. I am 74, female, and facing hip replacement in 10 weeks. I am only 5' 2" and at increased post surgery risk due to my weight. I am down to 216 from 224 today but it is so hard, I just love food and I am a good cook. I have been eating too little these past couple of weeks, I know, but I can hardly walk or stand so cutting calories has been the only way I can shed an ounce here or there with such limited activity. Every movement is painful and can't even sleep in a bed. But it is nice to know there are people like you wanting to support each other. I will be thinking of you this week and I want you to succeed! My goal will be to drop just 1 lb. Let's do it! Remember: You are young and beautiful and capable!!!!!! Your photo tells me so!
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I too am back here again after losing the weight then gaining it back plus more during lockdown. I've come to the realisation that this is a lifestyle change, I won't deprive myself of the food I like because in my eyes that's setting myself up for failure, the more you deprive yourself the more you'll crave that food. I do know though that by making small changes I can keep going long-term without slipping up and binge eating all the wrong foods. I too am classed as obese but I started changing my diet on the 8th of March and have lost almost 15lbs, I still need to lose another 50-60 lbs but I'm determined to do it and I've learned the hard way that even after I've lost the weight I'll have to keep logging food and weighing myself regularly so I don't end up back at the beginning again.
  • gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP just over one year ago (a year and three days to be exact). My stats when I started were exactly the same as yours (5'5" and 248 lb.)! I am now at 199 lb. I had used MFP on and off before. One thing I have come to realize is that logging food EVERY day is critical for me. Never skip a day (it's too easy to become a week, a month of skipping). Yes, even holidays! I also use the app to preplan meals. I found shifting my meal schedule worked wonders. I eat a late breakfast, midafternoon lunch and dinner between 7 and 8. That way, I'm not hungry in the late evening and want to snack.

I like the meetup idea someone posted. How about joining a book club? There might be some through meetup or your local library. If they are through Zoom (I belong to two book clubs that are "zooming" right now), you aren't limited by geography!

Also, consider joining a volunteer group. I belong to a women's club that is a part of GFWC. They have chapters EVERYWHERE! If you google GFWC, you should be able to find a local club. Great way to meet people and give back to your community while making friends in the process. The pandemic has put a damper on our activities this past year, but as things get back to normal we will resume more hands on events. We also have social activities that we will be resuming soon hopefully (i.e. monthly bunco or game night, excursions to museums or botanical gardens, wine tasting, etc.).

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.