Insanity diet-Confused

Options
Hi all, Im new to mfp and whilst its been really helpful and packed with loads of useful information, I am somewhat confused on this topic because there is so much varying opinions.

Im on a 1400 cal a day diet while on insanity. im petite (4ft 8.5 and 62kg (136lbs)) so i only burn about 200 cals during the workouts. my net cal intake is 1200 cal at the end of the day.

I am following the 40% protein/40% carbohydrates/20% fat ratio diet as recommended on the Insanity nutrition plan.

I have calculated that 560 cals will come from protein, 560 calories from carbohydrates and 280 calories from fat.

In terms of grams, i will be consuming: 140g of protein (since 1g of protein has 4 calories)
140g of carbs (since 1g of carbs has 4 calories)
31g of fat (since 1g of fat has 9 calories)

I wanted to know am I consuming too much protein? is 140g a day too much? since I have read that the daily amount needed by your body is 0.8g/kilo/day...which means that I should only be having 49.6g a day.

I plan to do insanity twice which will take 5 months and I dont want to cause long term damage to my kidneys and liver.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Well you need to be eating more in genral.

Insanity is intense, and they reccommend MINIMUM 1800 calories a day.
  • Star_1234
    Star_1234 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Eating 140g of protein per day will NOT adversely effect your kidneys or liver. You don't need to worry about that at all.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You'll need lots of food an lots of protein on insanity, have you worked out your calories on the insanity plan? Yours seems very low.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Yeah you need more calories...
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this too... I am into month 2, but not sure I am eating right!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    As it has been said, you probably need more calories. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to give you a better idea of how many you need.
    As for protein, you really can't have too much protein. If you eat more protein than your muscles can use for anabolism the amino acids will support kidney, liver, brain, and heart health. If you enjoy protein and it is not highly difficult for you to get 140g I would keep on trying to hit it. Protein shakes, tuna, and chicken are all great for this.
  • Star_1234
    Options
    I only burn around 250 calories with insanity, and according to mfp my net cal intake should be 1200 (maybe its because i am petite) so i tend to eat anywhere between 1400 to 1600 cals a day.
  • Star_1234
    Options
    As it has been said, you probably need more calories. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ to give you a better idea of how many you need.
    As for protein, you really can't have too much protein. If you eat more protein than your muscles can use for anabolism the amino acids will support kidney, liver, brain, and heart health. If you enjoy protein and it is not highly difficult for you to get 140g I would keep on trying to hit it. Protein shakes, tuna, and chicken are all great for this.

Thank you for the link.

I calculated my TDEE using the link you posted. It says
    my BMR is: 1196/day and my TDEE is 1749/day. If i want to lose weight (20% below my TDEE) then I should consume 1399/day.

I end up eating between 1400-1600 a day, although i try to stick to the lower end of that range as much as possible.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Looks good. I would try to stick to something between 1500 and 1600. This is because you really don't have a lot of room to cut if you hit a plateau. If you're eating at 1400 for an extended period you will experience metabolic adaptation. Your body will tell itself that you only have 1400 calories per day to work with, and your BMR will adjust accordingly. If this happens while you're eating at 15 or 1600 you have a lot more room to cut back to get through the plateau. If you eat at 1400 you will have to do frequent "refeeds" where you take a couple of months eating above maintenance to reset your metabolism.
  • Star_1234
    Options
    Looks good. I would try to stick to something between 1500 and 1600. This is because you really don't have a lot of room to cut if you hit a plateau. If you're eating at 1400 for an extended period you will experience metabolic adaptation. Your body will tell itself that you only have 1400 calories per day to work with, and your BMR will adjust accordingly. If this happens while you're eating at 15 or 1600 you have a lot more room to cut back to get through the plateau. If you eat at 1400 you will have to do frequent "refeeds" where you take a couple of months eating above maintenance to reset your metabolism.

Aaah complicated stuff! I will increase my calory intake and take it from there..