Healthies protein bars?

I am using them for weight loss. I am looking for the least processed and dairy free ones

Replies

• StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    A lot of people on here seem to like Quest bars and they seem like the lesser of all the protein bar evils. I have tried them and I avoid gluten, dairy, soy and haven't had a problem with them.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    It's going to be hard to find a protein bar isn't processed.

The least processed bars tend to have so little protein in them that they aren't worth it if that's your goal. Most minimally processed bars (like Lara, RiseBar, Raw Revolution, etc) are mostly carbs and fat. Even the RiseBar protein bars have more fat than they do protein.

Even though they are most definitely processed (because they are bars, after are), my favorites are the Balance BARE bars. Not the regular Balance bars, specifically the BARE ones. They don't have all the crazy ingredients of the regular Balance bars, are really tasty, and area almost perfect 40/30/30 macro splits.

Keep in mind that the most popular bars like Clif, Luna, Kind, etc, have very, very little protein. Even the Luna Protein bars only have 8-9g of protein per bar and are mostly still just carbs. So always look at the ratios, because most bars would be more classified as nutrition bars, rather than protein bars.

Also, you can always make your own bars at home as well. I've done that a number of times.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Bump.

8488541.png
  • Lara bars ! So yummy :) or quest bars
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Quest bars or Life Lift (very similar not as tasty)
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member
    Apple pie PR bars are so good
  • wolfchild59
    Apple pie PR bars are so good

Ooh! PR Bars! I forgot about those. I love PR Bars but they're so hard to find around here that I often forget about them entirely.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Quest isn't dairy free.

Your other option is bars with soy (garbage)
    or make your own beef jerky.
  • CivicSista
    CivicSista Posts: 459 Member

Ooh! PR Bars! I forgot about those. I love PR Bars but they're so hard to find around here that I often forget about them entirely.

I just ordered some on amazon :)
  • thisberichard
    thisberichard Posts: 12 Member
    There's a very simple, almost-nothing-processed recipe for making your own available here:
    http://www.sweetcheetah.com/2013/07/diy-quest-bars.html

The thread I originally found it in also had a rich share of variations for different flavors:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1076271-protein-bar

If you can spare the time to whip up a batch, that seems like it'll rival some of the best protein bars on the market with the added bonus of only containing known ingredients... and a dramatically lower price tag per bar.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    PR bars actually have a lot of nasty stuff in them, so just check labels.
  • wolfchild59
    PR bars actually have a lot of nasty stuff in them, so just check labels.

Oh, apologies, I didn't mean to imply that they weren't processed. Like I had said originally, it's next to impossible to find a non-processed store bought *protein* (e.g. not mostly carbs and fat) bar.

I just meant that I loved PR Bars because they are super tasty and have a good macro balance.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Quest. Cookie Dough flavor... YUMMMMMMMY! Processed or not, they're delicious.