Immediate weight gain after injury

This weekend I was helping my father get up from the bleachers at my son’s baseball game and he put all of his weight on me and we both fell down the wooden bleachers. My dad is completely fine but I got the wind knocked out of me and couldn’t breathe well for about 10 minutes. My ribs on the left side are KILLING ME!! They said they’re not broken but bruised and I will be in a lot of pain for at least two weeks. Anyway I gained 3 lbs in 3 days!!!!! WHY?? I have literally maintained the same macros I have for two years and then all the sudden I gained 3 pounds in three days?? Why??

Replies

• thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Water weight as your body repairs the damage to your ribs.
  • Rdunnigan1968
    Rdunnigan1968 Posts: 5 Member
    Wow, thank you!! I was really freaking out!!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I agree - water weight. I broke my arm and I definitely swelled up (not just the arm, either) as the tissues retained fluid to start to repair the injury. Trauma does that to you. Keep on drinking and do not panic.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Yep, very normal. When I hurt my knee I gained a pound a day for four days.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited May 2021
    Swelling. What a frightening thing to happen. Take it easy. Seriously. And eat at maintenance for your reduced activity level. Healing is a higher priority than the scale at this point. Ask your GP how much movement is the optimal amount.

ETA: I just realized this happened last month. Doh! How are you doing now?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Water retention from inflammation and repair.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    This weekend I was helping my father get up from the bleachers at my son’s baseball game and he put all of his weight on me and we both fell down the wooden bleachers. My dad is completely fine but I got the wind knocked out of me and couldn’t breathe well for about 10 minutes. My ribs on the left side are KILLING ME!! They said they’re not broken but bruised and I will be in a lot of pain for at least two weeks. Anyway I gained 3 lbs in 3 days!!!!! WHY?? I have literally maintained the same macros I have for two years and then all the sudden I gained 3 pounds in three days?? Why??

Because trauma causes inflammation which is fluid buildup...inflammation and fluid buildup is part of the repair process. Your body is doing what it's supposed to be doing.