Lunch Ideas for Working Gals.

Options
goldyray1
goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I am starting to pack my lunch. I bought the cutest lunch bag. I have been taking turkey sandwich, some days I will take StarKist Lunch to Go. I have taken the Classic Suddenly Salad with canned chicken mixed with it. I am running out of ideas. What do you eat for lunch?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Generally, I meal prep and plug it into MFP. Because I'm working from home, my bistro of ready-made meals is in my fridge. I'm currently up a bit later than usual because of a mid-week reup of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (broiled after a 24 hour wet brine).

Out in the wild, I'll never stop talking about Starbuck's sous vide egg bites (the vegetarian ones). I've been known to eat an old-fashioned plain donut from Tim Horton's on occasion. If there's a reputable and authentic sushi place around, then that could be an option.

That said, most prepared foods have way too much sodium and/or not enough protein so I prefer making my own stuff.

All the best to you in filling in your lunch bag. I'd love to see a pic of it!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a kitchen, microwave/toaster for example? Not impossible if not but it makes life a bit more interesting.

Soup, stew, curry (in thermos if no microwave). Wraps, sandwiches, salad - mine is usually a grain (quinoa/bulghar wheat/cous cous) with various combinations of raw and roasted veg and falafel.
    Slices of quiche/ spanish omelette. Hummous with oatcakes and crudites. The world is your oyster.

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    @goldyray1 - sometimes I pack my lunch. Sometimes I go to a local restaurant.

When I pack my lunch - anything goes. Sometimes leftovers. Last week it was smoked salmon and avocado with greens. Chicken and vegetables. Omelette. Also some berries maybe and a lot of the time I take my green shakes to go. (Mostly spinach, kale, berries with a bit of collagen peptides.)

PS - @MaltedTea - I need to steal that phrase “out in the wild” haha ☺️😉
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I prep lunches for the week on the weekends. This week, I have a DIY Chipotle bowl with cilantro-lime rice, carnitas, fajita veggies (onions and peppers seasoned with cumin and chipotle powder), queso fresco* and fresh medium salsa. I pack the salsa in a separate little container and pour it over the reheated bowl, since I personally prefer cold salsa.

This lunch is one of the more involved productions in my 6-week rotation, as I had to cook all of the components separately and then portion them out into my lunch containers. I did the carnitas in the instant pot and used my KItchenaid to shred the cooked pork cubes; I did the rice in a big pot on the stove; and I did the fajita veggies in my big saute pan on the stove as well. Next week's lunch will be Japanese-style chicken curry over rice, which is less elaborate - rice in the IP, curry on the stove, basically just two things in contrast to this week's five things. I buy the blocks of Golden Curry roux at the grocery store, and the rest of the prep is just chopping vegetables and cubing meat.

Other meals in my current rotation include Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and broccoli, cabbage rolls, roasted vegetables with kielbasa over a carb (barley is great), and Greek chicken thighs with green beans and orzo-rice. I may swap out the cabbage rolls for something else the next time they're on deck - they're very good, just not very filling (and kind of a PITA, if I'm being honest).

*queso fresco is crumbly white Mexican cheese, similar to feta, not cheese sauce.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave or toaster oven, the possibilities for lunch are basically endless, because you can use a cold/ice pack even if you don't have access to a fridge. I don't "meal prep" deliberately for lunches, but I do take advantage of leftovers pretty much all of the time. They're already foods I like and I've already put the work in once. Leftovers feel like a freebie!

If I don't have leftovers, I like salads (you can prep these - if it's a lettuce salad you can just pack dressing separately, or search for "refrigerator salad" recipes that hold up really well even when dressed for several days). Whole fruit like apples, oranges, bananas, or berries (some also that you can precut although you usually need to use them up pretty quickly then). Hardboiled eggs. Cheese and crackers, veggies with hummus, baba ghanouj, or Greek yogurt dip. Sandwiches may seem boring but there's a LOT of options to dress them up a bit. Pickles transport well and are low calorie (though high in sodium if that matters to you.)

You can get almost the same level of convenience as buying single-serve portions by acquiring a few reusable containers - if you have a dishwasher it's really no big deal at all. I do that because buying is usually significantly cheaper by unit weight in a larger size container than single-serve. But that's not required - just mentioning that if you don't want to spend a dollar per yogurt cup you don't have to. :)
  • goldyray1
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Generally, I meal prep and plug it into MFP. Because I'm working from home, my bistro of ready-made meals is in my fridge. I'm currently up a bit later than usual because of a mid-week reup of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (broiled after a 24 hour wet brine).

Out in the wild, I'll never stop talking about Starbuck's sous vide egg bites (the vegetarian ones). I've been known to eat an old-fashioned plain donut from Tim Horton's on occasion. If there's a reputable and authentic sushi place around, then that could be an option.

That said, most prepared foods have way too much sodium and/or not enough protein so I prefer making my own stuff.

All the best to you in filling in your lunch bag. I'd love to see a pic of it!

Thank you. I live in a rural town. The closet Starbucks or anything like that is an hours' drive from me. We do have a McDonalds, sonic and a Burger King. That being said, I will be packing. Not sure what with yet. I will let you know when I figure it our! Thanks so much!!!
  • goldyray1
    Options
    Do you have access to a kitchen, microwave/toaster for example? Not impossible if not but it makes life a bit more interesting.

Soup, stew, curry (in thermos if no microwave). Wraps, sandwiches, salad - mine is usually a grain (quinoa/bulghar wheat/cous cous) with various combinations of raw and roasted veg and falafel.
    Slices of quiche/ spanish omelette. Hummous with oatcakes and crudites. The world is your oyster.

Yes I do. We have a fully equipped kitchen where I work. I thought about soups. I would resort to the canned soups. Time at my house is a problem...not enough of it. At this time I think I have more money than I do time. I assure you, there isn't that much money around here! Thanks!!!
  • goldyray1
    Options
    If you have access to a microwave or toaster oven, the possibilities for lunch are basically endless, because you can use a cold/ice pack even if you don't have access to a fridge. I don't "meal prep" deliberately for lunches, but I do take advantage of leftovers pretty much all of the time. They're already foods I like and I've already put the work in once. Leftovers feel like a freebie!

If I don't have leftovers, I like salads (you can prep these - if it's a lettuce salad you can just pack dressing separately, or search for "refrigerator salad" recipes that hold up really well even when dressed for several days). Whole fruit like apples, oranges, bananas, or berries (some also that you can precut although you usually need to use them up pretty quickly then). Hardboiled eggs. Cheese and crackers, veggies with hummus, baba ghanouj, or Greek yogurt dip. Sandwiches may seem boring but there's a LOT of options to dress them up a bit. Pickles transport well and are low calorie (though high in sodium if that matters to you.)

You can get almost the same level of convenience as buying single-serve portions by acquiring a few reusable containers - if you have a dishwasher it's really no big deal at all. I do that because buying is usually significantly cheaper by unit weight in a larger size container than single-serve. But that's not required - just mentioning that if you don't want to spend a dollar per yogurt cup you don't have to. :)

Thank you, you gave me a lot to think on. I usually don't have leftovers. My husband is retired and he works here on the farm with some helpers, they usually keep me cleaned up on leftovers. I have taken those Starkist lunch to go. They have tuna, a few crackers and mayo and relish. It is pretty handy. I do have fresh fruit.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I usually prepared boring lunches. Beans, hardboiled eggs, lean cut deli meats on bread and a piece of fruit. I only had thirty minutes and I was on my feet running in circles after lunch break was over so I never wanted to feel sluggish, bogged down by a heavy lunch.
  • sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Lunch (technically it's breakfast as I tend to fast from 9pm to 1pm) for me at work is pretty simple: ham sandwich or 3 salt and vinegar rice cakes, apple, Yogurt and small wafer-type biscuit.

My lunch break is 30 minutes and I'd rather eat something light, as my main meal evening time is more substantial.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I usually make a large main dish in the weekend - chili, soup, lasagna etc. I freeze a couple of lunch sized portions and then we eat the rest for dinner. I always have a few from previous weeks in the freezer So there is variety. On the days I don’t want a hot lunch I make a nice sandwich.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    I'm retired now but when I worked this is what I did: During the colder months I would make a crockpot full of soup on a Sunday and portion it out for the week. I would eventually end up with a variety in my freezer to choose from. In the warmer months I would make a huge salad on Sunday and portion that out for the week. Then in the mornings all I would have to do is grab a can of tuna or lentils, some previously made egg bites, hard boiled eggs, or some other protein, and a container of soup or salad. Done.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I pack a salad in my handy insulated lunch bag every day while making my breakfast. 20 minutes in the kitchen, and I've got a hot brekkie, a yummy lunch, and everything pre-logged until dinnertime :-)