Do you eat your exercise calories?

Options
I was just wondering what your thoughts are on eating or not eating your exercise calories that you "earn" back. I come from a LONG Weight Watchers background, where you could earn back as many "points" as you wanted from exercise, but were only supposed to eat a total of 4 of those extra points (I think, it's been awhile).

So, here's my question...I'm alloted a bit over 1400 calories per day, and on my typical exercise days, I burn anywhere from 400-600 calories. I rarely eat more than 100 extra calories on those days.

However, I am a runner and this Saturday is my long run (which I do every weekend). I'm up to 12 miles (and my longest...as weeks go on, on the weekend, will be 20 miles). During my 12 mile run, I will burn close to 1700 calories!!! That's MORE than I'm supposed to even consume in a day...which means, after my food calories and my workout, I will actually be NEGATIVE net calories for the day.

In all reality, I will eat some of those extra calories with the 300 calories chocolate banana smoothie I always have after a nice long run and I'll maybe end up eating an extra 500 calories for the day.

So, I was wondering what everyone does with their exercise calories? I just look at it (most of the time) as output and why do I need to put it back into my body? But, on those long run days, I also know it's important to hydrate and refuel my body.

Replies

• TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    There are several posts on the boards telling you why to eat the calories (look for ShBoss1673 - he has got the science down.)
  • ridelikeagirl616
    ridelikeagirl616 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too! MFP already automatically creates a calorie deficit for you based on how much weight you want to lose and how quickly... is it self-sabotage to NOT eat back a portion of your fitness calories? Or are you better to just try to eat like you normally would? Or why don't they teach this stuff to kids in school? :tongue: So complicated!

Kate
    :flowerforyou:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    When I've done a lot of work one day, I am starving the next day. So I've done a bit of 48 hour calorie average. I don't always eat all of the exercise ones because I don't quite believe the numbers I've been given for the exercise. But I do eat some of them.

I think your plan to replish yourself with some extra on an extra exercise day is smart.

But I'm generally within 100 calories (sometimes over, sometimes under) of my minimum calorie limit.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what your thoughts are on eating or not eating your exercise calories that you "earn" back. I come from a LONG Weight Watchers background, where you could earn back as many "points" as you wanted from exercise, but were only supposed to eat a total of 4 of those extra points (I think, it's been awhile).

So, here's my question...I'm alloted a bit over 1400 calories per day, and on my typical exercise days, I burn anywhere from 400-600 calories. I rarely eat more than 100 extra calories on those days.

However, I am a runner and this Saturday is my long run (which I do every weekend). I'm up to 12 miles (and my longest...as weeks go on, on the weekend, will be 20 miles). During my 12 mile run, I will burn close to 1700 calories!!! That's MORE than I'm supposed to even consume in a day...which means, after my food calories and my workout, I will actually be NEGATIVE net calories for the day.

In all reality, I will eat some of those extra calories with the 300 calories chocolate banana smoothie I always have after a nice long run and I'll maybe end up eating an extra 500 calories for the day.

So, I was wondering what everyone does with their exercise calories? I just look at it (most of the time) as output and why do I need to put it back into my body? But, on those long run days, I also know it's important to hydrate and refuel my body.

Honestly, this looks like a sound plan to me! Your a very smart lady!:heart:
    and go YOU for running 12 miles~!:glasses:
  • amkelley
    amkelley Posts: 81
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I dont....usually I dont. I have a similar feeling as you- I am exercising and it is "output" so I dont want to put it back! I try to always stay a little under my calorie goal, but thats just me!
  • norbel_shumon
    Options
    My body needs the calorie deficit!

I think it differs from person to person.
    I did a 2-week testing period where I ate exercise calories and kept to the same exercise regimen….. I gained 2 lbs (or rather, did not lose the expected 4lbs)
    After reducing my calories back to the allocated amount for weight loss; I resumed losing an average of 2 lbs a week.
    I think you should try it to see if it works for you.
  • Superman79
    Superman79 Posts: 23
    Options
    Your calorie intake before the exercise is for those who want to lose weight without exercise. For example if I choose to lay in bed all day and do nothing, then my intake is 1340. But because of the intense cardio my intake is close to 1700. Your body needs fuel.

With working out 6 times a week at my weight (213) I'd need 3200 calories per day to maintain.
    1600 calories is a pound of fat.
    if I reduce my intake to 1600 calories less than 3200, then I lose a lb every other day average.
    So I try to stay around 1500 calories or less unless it's a day when I add other strenuous activity other than my normal workout.
    So eat those calories if your body tells you too is what i'm saying....
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too! MFP already automatically creates a calorie deficit for you based on how much weight you want to lose and how quickly... is it self-sabotage to NOT eat back a portion of your fitness calories? Or are you better to just try to eat like you normally would? Or why don't they teach this stuff to kids in school? :tongue: So complicated!

Kate
    :flowerforyou:

You have been successful in your weight loss. Which way did you do it?
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Your calorie intake before the exercise is for those who want to lose weight without exercise. For example if I choose to lay in bed all day and do nothing, then my intake is 1340. But because of the intense cardio my intake is close to 1700. Your body needs fuel.

With working out 6 times a week at my weight (213) I'd need 3200 calories per day to maintain.
    1600 calories is a pound of fat.
    if I reduce my intake to 1600 calories less than 3200, then I lose a lb every other day average.
    So I try to stay around 1500 calories or less unless it's a day when I add other strenuous activity other than my normal workout.
    So eat those calories if your body tells you too is what i'm saying....

right logic wrong math :D 3,500 cals is a pound :D
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I ate my exercise calories, and tried that for about 2 months with no results. My baseline there was 1200 calories + exercise calories, and I usually burn between 500 and 1000 calories on exercise days. Since it wasn't working, I changed my baseline calories to a range of 1500-1700 and don't factor in exercise calories, and this seems to be working much better for me.

However, since everyone is different, I would keep doing what you're doing as long as it works for you...and if you hit a plateau, then you can change things up and try a new strategy.

Hope that helps!
  • EightDMB
    EightDMB Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It seems like MFP sets the calories burned per excerise too high. That is why I'm afraid to eat those excercise calories. Does anyone else feel that MFP thinks you burn more calories than you actually do?
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    Depends how much you have to lose... you really don't want more than a 500-1000 deficit a day after exercise calories.

Personally, I don't think of it as eating my exercise calories. I eat if I feel like it and if I don't, then I do not. :)

This is good because sometimes I will have calories left and other days I eat a bit too much so it all evens out.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

as to the person doing a two week trial, that's not long enough, AND you can't just go from not eating them to eating them, of course you will gain. You need to give yourself a month of sustained energy before your body will make adjustments. 2 weeks to the human body is not enough time to make significant changes.
  • blbeane
    blbeane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My opinion only: I have been tracking calories and excercise for three weeks. I eat my exercise calories and I have not lost a pound! I started reading other posts and websites, and for me I am going to try for a while not eating my exercise calories and see what happens. I think everyone is different and different things work for different people. So I am not saying what people should do, just what I am going to try different.
  • twingirls05
    Options

Honestly, this looks like a sound plan to me! Your a very smart lady!:heart:
    and go YOU for running 12 miles~!:glasses:

Thanks, you're sweet!
  • twingirls05
    Options
    Depends how much you have to lose... you really don't want more than a 500-1000 deficit a day after exercise calories.

Personally, I don't think of it as eating my exercise calories. I eat if I feel like it and if I don't, then I do not. :)

This is good because sometimes I will have calories left and other days I eat a bit too much so it all evens out.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to eat just b/c they are there. I will definitely eat to meet my minimum, but I'm not going to keep stuffing my face over and over again just b/c those "extra" calories are there...lol! I definitely do think it's more of a science to figure out per person b/c everyone is so different. I've lost and gained so much weight in the past 5 years that my body kind of "likes" where it is right now, even though I really don't. So, I'm trying to break that plateau a bit.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to eat just b/c they are there. I will definitely eat to meet my minimum, but I'm not going to keep stuffing my face over and over again just b/c those "extra" calories are there...lol! I definitely do think it's more of a science to figure out per person b/c everyone is so different. I've lost and gained so much weight in the past 5 years that my body kind of "likes" where it is right now, even though I really don't. So, I'm trying to break that plateau a bit.

I'm a runner too!!! The only problem I could see you running into is that you run out of fuel on your long runs. Right now I'm gearing up and training for a Half Marathon in August. My long run this Saturday will be 12 miles--and I can tell you from experience, that last week on my 11 mile run, I ran out of steam because I hadn't been getting enough fuel. I wasn't doing well eating the majority of my calories back from exercise. My 10.5 mile run the weekend before was amazing. But, when I don't fuel my body with enough...towards the end I run out of energy. Now granted, it is a longer run so I'm not going to be full force at the end. But, I could just tell a major difference. I have been eating all of my exercise calories except maybe the last 100 on some days. Most days I am consuming about 1800 calories. (1400 daily total plus some of my exercise calories). I will admit that on Saturday's after my long run, I am very hungry throughout the day. But, I know that there is NO way that I can personally eat back the 1200 calories I burned. So, I opt for more calorie dense foods (avacados, nuts, lean protein, etc). I do have my carb ratios higher than most people because I need to in order to have enough fuel for my long runs. I do agree with you that there are times when your just not very hungry, and when that happens to me, I don't just eat to eat. I do try to eat more throughout the day. Right now I am eating every 2 hours at least.

Anyways, if you have any questions or anything, message me and I can give you more in detail of what I've been doing. I have hit a few plateaus along the way, but I am consistently losing weight. And I loooove running! It makes me feel strong and powerful! And, not to mention...its helping me really shrink down!! I keep telling myself that I'll get faster once I get rid of some of the junk in the trunk! Its like I'm pulling a plow! haha!
  • angelascott919
    Options
    I know the science, I know what everyone else says but personally I do not. I may eat a few of them but I don't eat all of them. Most of the time, if I ate them all I would just be eating all day long. I have also found that when I do eat all of them, I don't lose anything and sometimes gain. I try to stick with my allotted calories for the day and I am usually under that and I am loseing quite well. I also make sure to drink a lot of water throughout the day.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I'm a runner too!!! The only problem I could see you running into is that you run out of fuel on your long runs. Right now I'm gearing up and training for a Half Marathon in August. My long run this Saturday will be 12 miles--and I can tell you from experience, that last week on my 11 mile run, I ran out of steam because I hadn't been getting enough fuel. I wasn't doing well ****NOT****eating the majority of my calories back from exercise. My 10.5 mile run the weekend before was amazing. But, when I don't fuel my body with enough...towards the end I run out of energy. Now granted, it is a longer run so I'm not going to be full force at the end. But, I could just tell a major difference. I have been eating all of my exercise calories except maybe the last 100 on some days. Most days I am consuming about 1800 calories. (1400 daily total plus some of my exercise calories). I will admit that on Saturday's after my long run, I am very hungry throughout the day. But, I know that there is NO way that I can personally eat back the 1200 calories I burned. So, I opt for more calorie dense foods (avacados, nuts, lean protein, etc). I do have my carb ratios higher than most people because I need to in order to have enough fuel for my long runs. I do agree with you that there are times when your just not very hungry, and when that happens to me, I don't just eat to eat. I do try to eat more throughout the day. Right now I am eating every 2 hours at least.

Anyways, if you have any questions or anything, message me and I can give you more in detail of what I've been doing. I have hit a few plateaus along the way, but I am consistently losing weight. And I loooove running! It makes me feel strong and powerful! And, not to mention...its helping me really shrink down!! I keep telling myself that I'll get faster once I get rid of some of the junk in the trunk! Its like I'm pulling a plow! haha!

OOPS! I mean to say that " I wasn't doing well ****NOT****eating the majority of my calories back from exercise." I currently eat all of my exercise calories. Somedays a little over. I need my fuel!!! I rarely eat under my calories. But, on average I eat my exercise calories. Plus, since I am set at trying to lose 1 pound per week, MFP already puts my calories at a 500 calorie deficit.

sorry, didn't mean to confuse ya'll with my lack of proof reading.