What was your excuse before "getting serious"?

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I will just get pregnant again.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I moved and didn't have exercise equipment anymore like I was used to and I will never join a gym so I just got fat.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Dunno about excuses but I just believed wholly and utterly that there was nothing I could do about it, I'd never lose the weight and never get my figure back.
  • mojomarie
    mojomarie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    "but it's LOW CARB beer.... I'll be FINE!" :/ NO BEANOS!!
  • contrawr
    contrawr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm at my parents' so I don't have control of what I can eat - I'll start when I get back to uni.

Eventually just said 'screw it' and started anyway.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My biggest excuse was, that I told myself, "It doesn't matter what I eat, because I won't lose weight anyway.".

Excuse over, as I am learning that I can successfully lose weight!!
  • kguattu
    kguattu Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you to all that shared. Really eye opening!
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    'I'm not that fat'
  • kguattu
    kguattu Posts: 6
    Options
    My biggest one- - -even now- - -is that I WANT TO EAT WHAT I WANT TO EAT WHEN I WANT TO EAT IT! Also, I dress nicely and get a lot of compliments for being fabulous. And I have not had any of the alarming health problems that might have shaken me into action- - -no diabetes or heart problems- - -yet!

Oddly (or not so) I feel the same way about money as I do about calories. I want to spend as many of each as I want without consequence. But maturity and the results of my lack of discipline in both areas have caused me to rethink and revise. I do know that, while the momentary pleasure of overspending or overeating is great, it never satisfies in the long term.

Gotta' put on those big girl panties and spend my calories and money in measured amounts.

I had the exact same excuses listed and ended up with the negative repercussions as well. What an eye opener to see someone else post the same way I have fetlt. Sometimes you forget that you are not alone in this.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my favourite:

i play rugby and rugby players are supposed to be big!!!

stupid mentality
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my excuses that I held on to for years before telling myself I really needed to get serious about getting healthy. They are all true, but just as devastating to my health:

- I don't really LOOK like I weigh what I do

- My blood pressure is normal and always has been. It will stay that way

- Good health and longevity runs in my family even though some are overweight. It's no big deal.

- It could be worse

What are some of your excuses?

All of the above, plus

Colleagues 15 years younger look much worse

"More poeple die from not eating food than from eating food" (my old boss's excuse)

All my food is healthy and wholesome, I cook nearly everything from scratch so its not like I live on fast food and ready meals.

I'm in my late 40s so I'm going to put weight on, but I won't be able to lose it - its biological

By the way, beware of colleagues who say "everyone is different, you dress well and you look fine", (especially very thin ones) - they just don't want competition:bigsmile:
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not that big.

It must be my contraception.

I must have a thyroid problem.

I've been really good all day so I can eat half a cheesecake.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't think I was eating that badly. I wasn't gobbling done fast food 3 times a day. I didn't really understand why I weighed as much as I did. I'd see people eat much more and worse at work and they were rail thin. I would try to diet but had little willpower. I would get home tired and hungry and hubby was all too keen to order pizza.

I knew I was fat and hated it but didn't understand why. I thought my body was failing me.

It took being in the hospital to figure out what was wrong.
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was on here about a year ago, was really dedicated from May-August 2012, but then went back to school and all of that changed. Fast forward to this May when I graduated and had gained back the 12 pounds I lost last summer. I went on a trip with my sister and my boyfriend and I realised that a) I didn't like how I looked in the pictures (a bit shallow, but I think we can all sympathize) and b) I was a bit out of breath/tired.

However, the real wake up call came mid-July after I got back from my trip. A very good friend of mine had a serious medical emergency and he almost died. He has come away from the situation being so grateful to live every day to the fullest. His medical problems stemmed from undiagnosed Type 1 Diabetes among some other problems. My family has a history of diabetes, so it was a realization for me that I need to get my but in gear so I can live my life to the fullest in the future when I have a family.
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    hmmmm.....

my gigantic tits and love of food.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    "But i work out all the time and I eat healthy. It's just an age/gender/gene thing"
  • Taniagirly
    Taniagirly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a sleep disorder so tiredness is always an issue. I've always had people ask me how I keep in shape with 3 kids but I just ate healthy, didn't go to gym at all so that was actually demotivating sense. I got lazy! Now I think, I don't want to look good 'for having 3 kids' I want to look amazing in general.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Depression from being out of the service coupled with living the complacent family-life and living an inactive lifestyle. Then I let myself go and ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, with total disregard to my health and well-being. Every once in a while, I'd have the motivation to get back to the way I used to be and I'd just fall back out of it out of weakness.

Thank goodness those days of depression are over. The difference is like night and day.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My excuses - I have normal weight and am healthy as a horse. Blah. I brushed off the facts I had to change zippers on my pants frequently, that my tights and butt were covered in celulit and I was out of shape and unfit. No more, now it's time for hard and serious job!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    No excuse. Just fattie denial.

I never saw myself as fat. The camera saw otherwise. Hubby took a photo of me (without me knowing) when we were out once. I thought I looked great. Camera showed me I didn't.

I broke down in tears when I saw the photo that night.

Very next day I started eating at 1200 cals & working out.

Have not stopped since & it's been a year since I hit my goal. I workout every single day, have not once gone over my calorie goal & am better for it.

No excuse.... just denial.
This discussion has been closed.