Flat-footed supinater

Options
I have confirmed with my PT that I do have flat feet AND I underpronate. Since this is uncommon, I am having troubles finding a good running shoe that feels comfortable. Is there anyone else out there that has the same condition? What shoes work for you? Did you have to resort to online shopping for them?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    If you can check in with a podiatrist, they'll let you know. Mine gave me brand suggestions for my flat feet but my teen son overruled her because none of them were apparently stylish enough according to him.

Also, I was fitted for custom orthotics at the time (18-24 months ago) so they "corrected" my pronation in any shoe... except heels
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Strongly recommend you go to a specialty athletic shoe store to be properly fitted for running shoes. You likely need a motion control shoe to keep the ankle stable to mitigate the supunation. You may need orthotic inserts as well; but I would start at your local running store.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend speaking to a podiatrist.

I under pronated for a while but normal to slightly high arches. I did PT for my ankles and don't have any more problems, but I don't run. I spent a while strength training my legs/ankles and I don't have any significant problems and I wear barefoot shoes primarily.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was st the specialty store last night and didn't find anything comfortable. I did talk to my PT because the most comfortable shoes were the completely flat ones, with a dropped heal which can cause Achilles/calf issues. She said she'd be willing to work with me to gradually break them in if that's truly what I want. She also suggested looking at neutral shoes with a wide toe base