TDEE help please

Options
I started eating at my TDEE minus 20% 6 weeks ago, I lost almost 4 lbs in no time, then I gained 3 back the last 2 weeks. I increased my exercise, so I changed my TDEE. It feels like ALOT of calories, though!! Can someone please tell me if I'm eating at the correct TDEE??

(I've been back to work for 2 weeks and haven't been eating great and my exercise has decreased from 3-4 miles/5 days a week to 1-2 miles 5 days a week.)

Stats:
32 yrs old
5'6"
176 lbs

Exercise: on my feet all day (teacher), run almost 2 miles 5 days a week and do Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred 5 days a week.

I currently have my TDEE set at 1800 calories. I increased it from 1,650 because I increased activity.

Replies

• ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    If it were me, I would set the TDEE closer to 2200 - 2400 calories.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm new to TDEE as well, so I can't help much. I made the switch recently and it was hard for me to get my mind around the crazy extra calories. Not sure if you read this yet, but it helped me a lot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet \

Is that 1800 your TDEE or your TDEE - 20%? If it is your TDEE, just based on your exercise, it seems too low.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    The above is great or try this one to compare.

http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have trouble understanding TDEE, I find the only way I loose weight is to reduce my carbs and increase my protein.

I have my daily calories set to what MFP decided for me so I loss a lb a week, I use a HRM when exercising so I know my calories burnt is fairly accurate and I eat back most of my burnt calories.

Good luck in finding what works for you.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Have a look at em2wl eat more to weigh less.. xo
    Options
    Thank you!! Great resource!
    Options
    I'm new to TDEE as well, so I can't help much. I made the switch recently and it was hard for me to get my mind around the crazy extra calories. Not sure if you read this yet, but it helped me a lot.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet \

Is that 1800 your TDEE or your TDEE - 20%? If it is your TDEE, just based on your exercise, it seems too low.

Is my TDEE minus the 20%
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,926 Member
    Options
    It's tough just being accurate about TDEE without being all over the place with your diet and workouts like you have, so your basically miscalculated somewhere and are eating too close to maintenance.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Is my TDEE minus the 20%

That seems pretty low still. That's a lot of exercise to only be eating 1800. With this method, your exercise should already be included in the calories you are eating so it should account for all your activity. I highly doubt all that exercise would have you still at 1800.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think you're underestimating your TDEE by quite a bit. My goal is 1650 with TDEE-20% and all I do is walk 5 miles a day in average (with some kind of workout twice a week). Basically an hour walk with some every day activities and sitting most of the day. I'm 35 and 160 lbs.
    Options
    This is where I'm confused, one post telling me I'm too close to maintence and several saying my calorie intake is too low ???? I felt more competent on low carb ???? although I know it's not healthy.