One Week With No Weight Loss?

Options
This past week I really worked at my activities. Each day I went over the goals that was set for me. I stayed under my calorie intake except for one day. I did go over from 1200 a day to 1699. I do put down everything I eat. I do measure my portions. I have my chicken breasts cut into 4 ounce pieces before I freeze them. Most boneless chicken breasts can be cut into at least 3 4 ounce pieces. We must have big chickens in my area. My veggies, I measure each portion. So, what am I doing wrong. I am 67 years old and I am totally sedentary. I work at a computer all day. I started on 4/10 and so far I have lost 7 pounds, none this week at all. I am 5'3". I lost the 7 pounds at the begining so I think it could have been largely due to water loss. Any advice? My diary is open for all to see.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    One week is nothing, weight loss isn't linear. After 4 weeks of no weight loss (and no change in routine) you can start to wonder if anything's wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    It's likely to be water weight rebalancing, such that a little water retention is masking fat loss on the bodyweight scale. (This is especially true in a context where you've increased calories, since usually that implies slightly more carbs and sodium, each of which require a bit more water retention as they're digested/metabolized. It isn't far, so it's not worth worrying about.)

When we make a change, it takes several weeks of results to assess the effect of that change. You've made at least 2 changes, to 1200 and then to 1699. Stick with your new routine for a month, see what the outcome is over a longer time period.

I totally get that this is frustrating advice, but it's honest advice.

Best wishes!
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It happens. Some weeks you'll lose nothing other weeks 1 pound sometimes 4. Try to measure other things beside weightloss. The scale is only one tool of measurement for fitness.

Things to celebrate measurements do those once a month, increase in stamina on a walk or bike ride or whatever your preferred cardio exercise. Increase weights or sets. How you feel maybe less bloated, happier, more energy, clearer skin, how your clothes start to fit.

Congrats on your weightloss. Keep going.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing once per week? That's a perfectly valid choice, but it's important to understand that weight fluctuates all the time.

I'm 56, in maintenance, and also 5'3". Here's a graph of recent daily weigh-ins. Each dot represents a first thing in the morning in my birthday suit weight.

0f1ju14zfv3o.png

You can see that any particular 7 day apart weights may look like I gained or lost weight. It's only by looking at the solid trend line that you can see what is happening long term.

Also, as others said, weight loss isn't linear. When I was losing, I went as long as 3 weeks without a loss, while still staying on track calorie-wise.
  • goldyray1
    goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing once per week? That's a perfectly valid choice, but it's important to understand that weight fluctuates all the time.

I'm 56, in maintenance, and also 5'3". Here's a graph of recent daily weigh-ins. Each dot represents a first thing in the morning in my birthday suit weight.

0f1ju14zfv3o.png

You can see that any particular 7 day apart weights may look like I gained or lost weight. It's only by looking at the solid trend line that you can see what is happening long term.

Also, as others said, weight loss isn't linear. When I was losing, I went as long as 3 weeks without a loss, while still staying on track calorie-wise.

I too weigh every morning. My weight does fluctuate like yours It sure does deflate you to see the weight gain. I guess it is normal. Thanks!