Should you go with the auto macros provided?

bainsjas
bainsjas Posts: 10 Member
How shall I go with the macros calculated or tweak them?

Replies

• idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Depends on your goals. I’ve never liked the macro set by MFP. Google has many macro calculators that are far better.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    If you're trying to lose weight, calories are ultimately what you want to pay attention to. Some people like different percentages, but I think if you're new to calorie counting or tracking in general it might make sense to just leave it as is for now, and readjust later to see if it's a better fit. Hanging around the forums can give you some ideas of what other regular posters have had success with. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    It's not a terrible starting point, for most people. Protein can (IMO) end up too low with the default macro percents if someone has a really aggressive weight loss rate (low calories), but with a sensible weight loss rate that shouldn't be a big issue right away.

Calories are what determine weight loss, in a direct sense. Macros are for nutrition, health, body composition, energy level . . . some of which can affect weight loss *indirectly* such as by under-nutrition causing fatigue that leads to lower calorie expenditure, or causing cravings that make it tough to stick to a sensible calorie goal.

One option is to start with the default percents, work on dialing in calorie level and adequate satiation, then worry about fine-tuning macros further if necessary.
  • bainsjas
    It's telling me to consume 1200 Cals
  • bainsjas
    @idontcarroll which calculator would you recommend? Iifym?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    bainsjas wrote: »

First of all, 'it' is not telling you that. You tell the website you want to lose weight too quickly, and the websites gives you a calorie goal that is still healthy and closest to that goal. If you reduce your weight loss goal to something more realistic you get more calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    If you're eating 1200 calories, it's going to be hard to get enough protein, so maybe go to Examine.com and get the calculations for needed protein and fat for your current weight/height/gender. Go from there.

1200 is really low and probably not necessary. I lost nearly all my 80 pounds on 1500 per day PLUS Exercise calories, so more like 1900-2000 per day on exercise days. I'm an older female, 5'7"-5'8". Retired. Not much required daily activity in a small apartment.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    ...your weight loss ticker says you have 13 pounds to lose? Set your Goals at, "Lose 1/2 pound per week," and, "Lightly Active," then log exercise and eat more on exercise days.

I'd say 1200 is way too low for you

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625391-How-does-MyFitnessPal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    bainsjas wrote: »

What MFP is actually doing is working out your maintenance calories for a day with no exercise.
    It's what you are then setting as your desired rate of loss that is causing you to hit the minimum calorie allowance of 1200 + exercise calories.
    (Worth temporarilly setting it to "maintain current weight" just to see what your estimated maintenance calories are.)

Before worrying about macro percentages I'd suggest giving serious thought to setting a reasonable and sustainable overall calorie allowance.