Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Should you go with the auto macros provided?

bainsjasbainsjas Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7 Member
How shall I go with the macros calculated or tweak them?

Replies

• idontcarrollidontcarroll Member Posts: 203 Member Member Posts: 203 Member
    Depends on your goals. I’ve never liked the macro set by MFP. Google has many macro calculators that are far better.
  • penguinmama87penguinmama87 Member, Premium Posts: 387 Member Member, Premium Posts: 387 Member
    If you're trying to lose weight, calories are ultimately what you want to pay attention to. Some people like different percentages, but I think if you're new to calorie counting or tracking in general it might make sense to just leave it as is for now, and readjust later to see if it's a better fit. Hanging around the forums can give you some ideas of what other regular posters have had success with. :)
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 19,781 Member Member, Premium Posts: 19,781 Member
    It's not a terrible starting point, for most people. Protein can (IMO) end up too low with the default macro percents if someone has a really aggressive weight loss rate (low calories), but with a sensible weight loss rate that shouldn't be a big issue right away.

Calories are what determine weight loss, in a direct sense. Macros are for nutrition, health, body composition, energy level . . . some of which can affect weight loss *indirectly* such as by under-nutrition causing fatigue that leads to lower calorie expenditure, or causing cravings that make it tough to stick to a sensible calorie goal.

One option is to start with the default percents, work on dialing in calorie level and adequate satiation, then worry about fine-tuning macros further if necessary.