Podcasts

Options
03CiaoBella
03CiaoBella Posts: 40 Member
Anyone listen to podcasts? Who do you listen to?

Replies

• vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Into crime, mystery and murder..

-Bailey Syrian
    -Kendall Rae
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    True Crime:
    * Criminalia: in its 3rd season, updates weekly. Deep-dives into specific incidents or individuals involved in various kinds of crimes, not just murder (season 1 was female poisoners, season 2 was stalkers, currently in season 3 focusing on impostors). Also includes themed drink recipes at the end of every episode, which is fun if you're a drinker (and even if you aren't, Season 3's drinks are all mocktails, in keeping with the "impostor" theme ;))
    * Criminal: huge backlog, active update schedule, not just murder. Once you get over Phoebe Judge's delivery it's very enjoyable.

Science, History, Culture:
    * Stuff to Blow Your Mind: huge backlog plus very active update schedule (near-daily). Tackle topics relating to science and technology intersecting with history and culture, plus a weekly "weird movie review" feature on Fridays.
    * Creature Feature: specifically about animals, lots of interesting facts and funny guests. Decent backlog.
    * Sawbones: specifically medical science/history/culture, punctuated by comedy. Decently-sized, varied backlog, weekly updates.
    * History of English Podcast: what it says on the tin, a history of the English language.
    * Lexicon Valley: also a linguistics podcast, varied topics in linguistics. Originally hosted by Mike Vuolo many years ago, now taken over (until June) by John McWhorter, unclear if someone else will step in to host when McWhorter moves on or if that will be it but there's a huge backlog in any case.
    * Futility Closet: stories about specific historical events and interesting trivia, plus lateral thinking puzzles.

Fiction:
    * 13 Days of Halloween (finished): 13-episode horror miniseries by Aaron Mahnke, starring Jordan Peele. Very spooky.
    * The Magnus Archives (finished, still updating with post-season content): 200-episode horror series (5 seasons), starts as episodic flash fiction but gradually an overarching plot emerges. May be intense for some listeners, see episode descriptions for content warnings.
    * The Strange Case of the Starship Iris (sporadic updates): Sci-fi/adventure, 1.5 seasons posted. LGBTQ+ representation out the kitten, and a scifi story with characters who act and treat each other like human beings.
    * Welcome to Night Vale (regular updates): horror, similar to TMA with episodes that gradually develop into overarching plot. I'm quite behind on WNTV, and IMO the earlier seasons are better. Also LGBTQ representation.
    * The Adventure Zone (regular updates): Just finished season 3, starting season 4 later this week. The McElroy brothers and their dad play Dungeons and Dragons (and some other systems, mostly D&D). More of a "fiction podcast told with the framing device of a Dungeons and Dragons game" than an actual-play tabletop RPG podcast.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,038 Member
    Options
    Regularly
    The Office Ladies
    Mr Healthy Habits Show

These shorter series were really good!
    Anything For Selena
    La Brega
    The Dream (I haven’t finished)

I also really like This American Life but haven’t listened in a long time. I’m going to start again!

Most of the other ones I’m just picking and choosing specific episodes.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Most of what I listen to has already been mentioned but two I didn't see yet:

*Skeptoid - science/fact based podcast using logic to puzzle out some of the paranormal, unexplained or unscientific things that circulate around on the internet.
    * QI: No Such Thing as a Fish - weekly podcast by the cast of QI, a British fact game show. They discuss whatever new or interesting facts they feel like that week.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Regularly
    The Office Ladies
    Mr Healthy Habits Show

Anything For Selena
    La Brega

I also really like This American Life but haven’t listened in a long time. I’m going to start again!

I'm still on episode 7 on Anything for Selena. I agree with you, it's really good!!
  • 03CiaoBella
    03CiaoBella Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Terrific feedback! All good listening suggestions. My go-tos are...

*The Moth, storytelling
    *Conan Needs a Friend, comedy mayhem
    *Marc Maron, highs and lows and everything in between kind of talking sessions.
    *Selected Shorts, stories read aloud by actors.

There you have it👍🏽
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    The Tony Kornheiser Show
    Fake Doctors Real Friends
    The Ringer-verse
    Serial
    Meddling Adults
    Bet the Process
    Coverville
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,038 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Regularly
    The Office Ladies
    Mr Healthy Habits Show

Anything For Selena
    La Brega

I'm still on episode 7 on Anything for Selena. I agree with you, it's really good!!

Right? Loved it. And...I got seriously schooled from La Brega. A shame I don’t already know these things.🙈
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Hardcore History
  • Busy911
    Busy911 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Legends of the Old West & American History
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Have about 7hrs in the car this weekend, so this thread comes at the perfect time.

I like dark stuff from US history, but haven't been able to find a good reliable podcast, so I end up picking choosing based on story... but this is pretty limiting because I don't know what I don't know. I also like science/nature podcasts that help keep my sense of wonder/curiosity in tact.

American Shadows (true stories from American history)
    Most Notorious (true crime)
    Experts on Experts with Dax Shepard (variety)
    The Wild with Chris Morgan (nature)
    Science Rules with Bill Nye (science)
    Caught Offside (soccer)
    The Will Cain Podcast (conservative news/sports)
  • JFinn26
    JFinn26 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The Preston and Steve Show on WMMR that turns their daily morning show on Philly radio into a podcast...

Also:

Pod Save America, and Pod Save the World