Maybe a stupid question

haitsemahal
haitsemahal Posts: 48 Member
Please don't be rude to me.

How do you express your weight-loss? I've been saying, "I've lost xxlbs and xx from my highest weight." I know it's irrational but I feel weird saying that but I feel inaccurate to count from my highest weight because it took so long for me to lose the first part of the weight. Like I feel like I'm on a different "try" but I'm also super proud how far I've come from my highest weight.

I'm down 23 lbs in 41 days but 36.8 lbs from my highest. Is there ever a time that its okay to just say the weight loss from the highest weight?

Replies

• lmf1012
    lmf1012 Posts: 402 Member
    I feel like you can express it however you would like to. Just because it took more than one "try" doesn't mean you can't express the larger loss. I think it is perfectly fine to say "I am down 36.8 lbs"
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Start your own Success thread and update it whenever you want to. Be proud of all of your accomplishments.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'd leave time out of it, what does that really matter?

If you did part of the goal prior, had some time off even if undesired, and have started again, the total counts when people ask.

So what if they never saw you from the highest weight - last thing you need is trying to track when these people starting knowing you and so what is the weight loss for them, then these people are more recent so.....

Ya, leave time out of it - be proud for what you've accomplished when someone asks.

The other reason for leaving time out - that almost 1/2 lb daily will not be sustainable, shoot, may not even be healthy now for the long haul. No need to emphasis in your mind something that should for sure change and be slower.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 652 Member
    That's a valid question, and I'm sure a lot of us can relate. I lost almost 40 pounds a few years ago, put 30 back on, and am now back at it. I am been saying it from my latest high weight, but only because the highest weight was years before many people knew me. I suppose it depends on how long it's been since your highest weight.

It's up to you how you say it, of course. :)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    I think you can do it however you like! I feel kind of weird about my highest weight because it was when I was nine months pregnant, so part of it wasn't even me! I'm actually about fifty pounds down from that weight, and it didn't just melt off once I gave birth. But since I started tracking earlier this year, I'm down about fifteen, so in my head that's where I "started." But I don't think everybody has to think about it that same way.

A lot of us have a history of yo-yoing up and down, so you're right - if you go in fits and starts, some of the weight might be lost one time, then you take a break and do it again. But I don't think that means it doesn't "count." I think it's totally fine to "take credit" from your highest weight if that's what you want to do.

Maybe those who talk more about their weight loss offline can speak to how that goes, though, since I don't really do that. I prefer to keep the specific numbers to myself, except on here. :)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    It's not a stupid question. In my judgement, there's not a one-size-fits-all answer to the question. In what way does expressing your progress make you most proud or accomplished? Is it even via pounds on the scale? Maybe it's inches or sizes or body composition changes or things you can do that you struggled to do previously. Perhaps for some there are important health markers that shape your goals. Don't let comparison steal the joy of what you've accomplished. You'll see a myriad of posts where people are struggling, re-losing, and restarting. Regardless of the "try" don't let that minimize the value of whatever success you achieve.
  • haitsemahal
    haitsemahal Posts: 48 Member
    Thank you everyone. All of the responses have been very helpful. 🥰
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I was asked "how many dress sizes have you lost?" to which the answer is "I have no idea" as I am wearing the same, now huge, clothes I was wearing before along with some other slightly smaller stuff I already had tucked away.

My underwear is hilarious and if I get carted away after a proverbial accident the medical staff are going to be wondering what the heck. :D

I just don't want to spend the money until I get a bit smaller and what with the recent lockdowns and it being winter so a floppy jumper is fine, I am happy to make do.

Meanwhile - I did not even weigh myself for the first few months as I really did not want to see it - but I know I must have been over 20 stone so that is what I assume when I say I have lost 125 pounds, but honestly, I don't know.

What matters of course is now, not then. That is the past and I have no intention of going back to that, ever!