Strawberries!!!!!!

Options
goldyray1
goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
It is strawberry season here. I picked two flats and put them in the freezer!! We kept out some to eat. According to Fitness Pal and their calorie charts, Fresh strawberries are wonderful to eat without a lot of calories. I sliced the strawberries and put a couple of tsps of sugar on them and a little RediWhip and I was in dessert heaven! Even if you add one of those little individual sponge cake shells the calories aren't that bad. Love them just eating them without anything added.

Replies

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Hmm, you must be pretty far south of me ;)
    I'm waiting until mid-June for the Hoods to come in. I'm surprised that you put sugar on them. Aren't your strawberries sweet? I can't imagine sweetening ours. They're bright red, super sweet, and short-seasoned. You get them when you can. I'm finishing up last year's right now. My freezer is getting low. I envy you being able to go out and get them already!! Eat up! What a TREAT! :)
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Mmmm oh my gosh now I really want strawberries! :D
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I eat my own weight in strawberries while they're in season lol, for breakfast I pour yoghurt over them and add a little cereal on top (white chocolate coco pops are great for this), and I have them for desert with 10 cal jelly and light squirty cream.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Loveee strawberries! I go through 6lbs a week!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I love them halved with a crack of freshly ground black pepper (and a little sweetener if they are just not ripe enough).
    Also love it with a leave of finely chopped basil or mint - one of the three of course, do not mix pepper and mint. :wink:
    Another tip is to put them in the microwave for 20 seconds, strawberries give a lot more aroma when slightly warmer than room temperature.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I usually start any snack with berries. Strawberries being my favorite. It seems to take the edge off the process so I eat less of the calorie dense snacks.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    I love them halved with a crack of freshly ground black pepper (and a little sweetener if they are just not ripe enough).
    Also love it with a leave of finely chopped basil or mint - one of the three of course, do not mix pepper and mint. :wink:
    Another tip is to put them in the microwave for 20 seconds, strawberries give a lot more aroma when slightly warmer than room temperature.

Oh I'll have to try the pepper, that sounds lovely!

I like to make a salad with strawberries, feta, and sliced almonds on fresh greens with balsamic vinegar. The strawberries fit really nicely with the tang of the vinegar and feta.

I'll also have to make a strawberry and rhubarb pie. I don't generally like cooked strawberries, but I do make an exception for that pie. If we're drowning in them I will make freezer jam, too.
  • goldyray1
    goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting until mid-June for the Hoods to come in. I'm surprised that you put sugar on them. Aren't your strawberries sweet? I can't imagine sweetening ours. They're bright red, super sweet, and short-seasoned. You get them when you can. I'm finishing up last year's right now. My freezer is getting low. I envy you being able to go out and get them already!! Eat up! What a TREAT! :)

West Tennessee. The first strawberries are a little tart. After about a week or two they should be really super sweet!!!!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Strawberries are not yet in season here so I've been paying a small fortune to keep in constant supply, but I love them! I eat them either with chocolate hummus or coconut whipped cream. Both if I have the calories to spare 😄
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    As a T2D in remission. I eat a few berries once or twice a week.

They are my only "candy".

@tsazani - agree! Berries are my favorite candy!! Just plain.. :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    As a T2D in remission. I eat a few berries once or twice a week.

They are my only "candy".

@tsazani - agree! Berries are my favorite candy!! Just plain.. :)

My granddaughter thinks they are candy too - she will eat a quart of them without coming up for air!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    Wow. Early May. You are so lucky!! I think we're about 4 weeks away from our first berries here. They might show up at a farmers' market, but they'll be pale and not very sweet. I've never been to TN, but I'd love to try the varieties of strawberries you have there :)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

The sugar isn't so much to sweeten them as it is to macerate them - makes them give up a decent amount of juice and basically make their own syrupy sauce. You really don't need much, like I said I only use maybe two teaspoons at absolute most, and that's for a good 2 full cups of sliced strawberries.