Trouble Eating All My Calories

tazma3
tazma3 Posts: 7 Member
Help. Im trying to eat a low cholesterol, low fat diet but it seems that I only eat about 75% of my calories. I need help and ideas please.

Replies

• queanmum
    queanmum Posts: 28 Member
    edited May 2021
    Fruit, beans (including chickpea snacks) and legumes,low fat dairy like Greek yogurt or frozen yogurt "ice cream", egg whites like Egg Beaters, sweet potatoes, quinoa, rice, noodles, white fish, tuna. I make a smoothie for breakfast: 8 oz soy milk, chocolate protein powder equivalent to 20 gm protein, 1 TBS ground flax, 16 gm fresh organic spinach, and 1/2 cup frozen blueberries-blend on high for 30 seconds and on medium for 1 min. 346 cal. I also have a slice of vegan buttered wheat toast. You could use fruit jam or jelly. The toast kicked it up to about 419 cal. The smoothie trick helped me get my calories in without feeling stuffed. Hope this helps.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I can understand low cholesterol if you have a medical condition, but why low fat? Fats are good for you: think of brain function, essential fatty acids, and good intestine function to just name a few. What about lean meats, nuts, unsaturated oils? They add to calories quickly.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Why are you struggling to eat your calories? Do you have a poor appetite? How many calories are you trying to eat?
  • tazma3
    tazma3 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi. My target is 1300 calories. Im trying to make healthy choices so most of the things I eat a not high in calories. Im watching my cholesterol, sugar and fat but also want my to meet my recommended protein for the day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    tazma3 wrote: »
    Hi. My target is 1300 calories. Im trying to make healthy choices so most of the things I eat a not high in calories. Im watching my cholesterol, sugar and fat but also want my to meet my recommended protein for the day.

Many people have this problem when they arbitrarily decide that calorie-dense foods are somehow not healthy. But that's not true -- there are many nutrient-dense foods that are also fairly high calories. Things like nuts and avocado are good examples, but things like whole grains and potatoes are also ways to add additional calories to your diet if you need to follow a low fat diet. If you're looking for more protein, beans are another good choice.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    The myth of low dietary cholesterol improving health continues.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021

You know what's funny - several years ago now, I had a blood test that showed low total cholesterol (not dangerous, just not whatever is "ideal" I guess.) I had never had my cholesterol levels checked before and I didn't have any health concerns or symptoms that led to the test - the doctor just wanted a general workup. The advice from my doctor? Eat a low-fat, low-sodium diet. I'm still scratching my head on that one.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member

You know what's funny - several years ago now, I had a blood test that showed low total cholesterol (not dangerous, just not whatever is "ideal" I guess.) I had never had my cholesterol levels checked before and I didn't have any health concerns or symptoms that led to the test - the doctor just wanted a general workup. The advice from my doctor? Eat a low-fat, low-sodium diet. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

A lot of harm has been done by this medical mistake. Persons with no real medical reason have been warned to adopt a diet of very low fat and low cholesterol which has resulted in eliminating some of the best, healthiest, least expensive and most nutritious foods. Eggs, cheese, seafood, etc. A whole industry has been built up on the premise that high fat, high cholesterol foods cause cardiovascular disease, which has been proven false. Obesity is the real cause and the myth persists because diets to reduce obesity are, in fact, low fat diets. The dietary cholesterol thing is just added stupidity.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    OP, you're struggling to eat more than 975 calories/day? I could meet your goal of 1300 by lunch if I wanted to. There are lots of good ideas above for adding in more calories.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    What do you eat in a typical day? Why have you chosen a low fat, low cholesterol diet?
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 873 Member
    You haven't stated what the reason for restricting fat is...etc.....

You should definitely be hitting your calorie goal, especially if you calculated it using MFP bc that already builds in a deficit...which can be quite significant or too low if you chose a very ambitious weight loss goal (ex. 2lbs/week).

If it's because you don't have an appetite or feel full with a larger volume of food....choose calorie dense/low volume foods (nuts, nut butters, dates (other high calorie fruits), add healthy fats like olive oil to soups/sauces.....).