Workout App recommendation please

Hello, I have just started using weight lifting machines at the gym in the last few weeks. I am realizing that I'm using so many different machines at different weights and reps that I can't remember what I did last time. I'm sure "there's an app for that"! What app do you like to track your workout a the gym?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    To answer your question: I've looked for something like this before and never really found anything. I use spreadsheets for everything, including strength training. For iOS I just use Calc
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Tbh I use pen and paper, like the olden days. I'd have a spread for tracking weight/reps of whatever exercises I planned to do on a given day in my bullet journal and carry that journal around with me in the gym. I'll second the suggestion to follow a more structured and streamlined program so you don't have to remember so much, and if you'd prefer to track your gym work electronically, your phone probably has a native Notes app that will work.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I have a plan written down and keep notes in my Notes app in my phone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    There are apps for that and I've tried a few...but honestly, they tend to take more time to input the data than just writing it down with pen and paper. I carry a small composition notebook and pen with me...I typically just leave my phone in my locker unless I'm expecting something important to come through.

I would also recommend looking around for a structured program that meets your needs and goals. If you're going from machine to machine throughout the gym, you're likely doing way more than you need to. My program has six movements per workout...I think the most I've ever had was eight.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Agree, nothing beats a pen and paper. The apps tend to be clunky and not as convenient as just glancing down at your notebook. I've been known to create my own spreadsheets as well, for easy entry and easy to see progress, but messing around with my laptop is still more annoying than just jotting it down.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Have you considered doing it the other way around and doing a more structured lifting programme where you don't need to do a large number of exercises? that's a lot easier to manage as well.

This is excellent advice.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    I use the Notes app on my iPhone. It very simple and it actually allows me to share my notes with other people if I wanted to. For instance when I trained with a coach he would send me my workout for the day (exercises) and I would populate it with the weight used and number of reps then share it back with him. Simple and easy way to track my workout and what weight used.
  • WesSgFitFam
    WesSgFitFam Posts: 2 Member
    There's an app called Strong.
    This app can help track your sets, reps, weights and rest time.
    It is like a workout journal in an app form.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Pen and paper maybe? No need to fiddle around with an app with sweaty fingers.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    I am looking for an app that will actually guide me on what machines to do on each day. Anything like that out there? I belong to a great gym, with almost too many options!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    My "app" is a printed out spreadsheet I keep on a clipboard and write in my entries for my preset exercises (weight & reps are what I track).

Pulling out my phone every time would be a PITA to me, much prefer my old school method lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    amfmmama wrote: »
    I am looking for an app that will actually guide me on what machines to do on each day. Anything like that out there? I belong to a great gym, with almost too many options!

I've just started using an app called Fitbod as I wanted to get back into Oly lifting again and I don't have a personal trainer to walk me through anymore. So far I really like it. It will give you a program based on the goals you state in the set up (which can be edited). You can choose the number of days you want to lift as well as what kind of split you want to do (ie full body, body part, push/pull, etc). You can also select your level of expertise (novice, intermediate, advanced), and whether you prefer to work with free weights or machines.

On your scheduled workout days you will get a notification of what your workout is that day...though it will also be sitting there in the app to preview. Each movement in the workout also has an illustrative video showing how the movement is done. It also "learns you" as you progress and move along and will progressively get harder as it automatically overloads you based on what it has learned so you can keep progressing without guessing. It will also track your muscles used and recovery so your next workout is working something different. As far as a weight training app goes, this seems really good and the programming seems to have been constructed by professionals. No off the shelf program is perfect as it has to cater to masses...but these are pretty good.

You get three free workouts as a trial...after that it is $79 per year or you can go a monthly route which will cost you a little more in the long run...I think that's pretty reasonable for everything the app does.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Tbh I use pen and paper, like the olden days. I'd have a spread for tracking weight/reps of whatever exercises I planned to do on a given day in my bullet journal and carry that journal around with me in the gym. I'll second the suggestion to follow a more structured and streamlined program so you don't have to remember so much, and if you'd prefer to track your gym work electronically, your phone probably has a native Notes app that will work.

ditto. basic small notebook. and about as Keep-it-Simple-Stupid program as it gets. Repeatedly futzing with the phone would be a PITA while I'm rushing through my workout.

I do log the final working weight and achieved reps in a spreadsheet later on to track history, particularly as I do occasional massive deloads during main athletic season and I want to track when I get back to where I was before.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    I was using an app called Liftin’ which has Apple Watch integration but it got expensive.

Free apps I now use are RYSE and a new one Caliber.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited July 2022
    I like using the JEFIT app. It does exactly what you want it to do. But you first have to know what kind of program you want to do. I recommend looking for a program that suits your goals and then look for the programs on the app. For instance: cutting or bulking? How many days per week? I use free weights so follow programs that use barbells, dumbbells, etc but I’ve seen machine exercises like Smith machine & leg curls, etc on the app. I like Jefit because once you find a program that fits your goals and that calls for equipment you have access to, choose that program as your Current plan. It will have the program broken down into days of the week. You just open up each day and follow the program. Rests between lifts are already in there. If there is a lift in the program you don’t want to do, or if you don’t have the equipment for, you can swap it out for another lift. I use the free version of the app and find plenty of programs to follow without paying for a membership.