Looking for Advice in Obtaining Visible Abs (Female)

Options
32 year old female
5'6" (167.6cm)
126lbs (57.2kg)

Currently have my calorie intake set at 1600/day, protein at 71-126g. Fat aiming at 41-61g, Carbs aiming 132-209g, seem to be going over on fats but usually compensated by less carbs so my calorie intake remains at target.

Lifestyle is pretty sedentary as I'm not working right now, used to have a very physical job on top of daily exercising so been gaining some weight. Previously I sat at 113lbs and couldn't for the life of me put weight on, getting rid of it is something of a new experience. I've always wanted visible abs though and what better time to try than now?

I have no access to gym, weights or equipment, but I do have access to a chin up bar, mini resistance bands and of course body weight. I'm doing Shaun T's Insanity program, I've done it before with pretty good results so seemed a good option, just starting week 4. Also put in some resistance band work on off/recovery days, nothing intense just something extra for arms/shoulders/back.

Basically just looking to see if I'm on the right track here and looking for pointers. Any and all advice is welcome.

Also wondering, waist measurements, I keep reading different spots to take them. One option says at the belly button, another just below the ribs and a third at the top of hips...which one is it? I also think my measurements are being thrown off by bloating but don't know the culprit. Anyone know what would be causing unusual bloating despite eating proper and adequate hydration?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Uh... it's possible, it's also possible that it's not achievable for you. Visible abs for women are much more dependent on genetics than for men as you might need a body fat % that is considered unhealthy. Many women with visible abs don't have them constantly, but only for a photoshoot.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    ... I also think my measurements are being thrown off by bloating but don't know the culprit. Anyone know what would be causing unusual bloating despite eating proper and adequate hydration?

Some body weight and size fluctuation is normal for women if you're cycling. Depending on the intensity of your exercise it could affect cycle length which might make it appear random if you don't track it (not necessarily just straight up amenhorrea, though that can happen too for very intense athletes or if you consume too little.)

I kind of agree with yirara - how flat your stomach gets or to what degree you can see defined ab muscles can vary a lot for women and for some it might not be realistic. I've seen a couple posts around here for vacuum exercises which might help - maybe someone who knows more about that can chime in.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by visible abs? A 6-pack, or just some ab definition? How long have you been trying? As the above poster said, obtaining visible abs can be genetic,but it also takes A LOT of hard work over a long period of time.

That being said, there's the saying that abs are made in the kitchen, and that is mostly true. It also takes overall strength training, and ironically often doesn't take a lot of direct core work. Being aware of your posture throughout the day is important too, because if you're not engaging your core muscles appropriately during daily life, they can still be relatively weak.

As far as what's causing your bloating, it's really hard to say what it is specifically in your case. Cruciferous vegetables may be one, dairy may be another, but everyone is individual. I'm actually on phase 2 of an elimination diet right now for digestive and other issues, and it turns out some of the stuff I thought cause my bloating actually don't.
  • mylittlechocobo
    mylittlechocobo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Uh... it's possible, it's also possible that it's not achievable for you. Visible abs for women are much more dependent on genetics than for men as you might need a body fat % that is considered unhealthy. Many women with visible abs don't have them constantly, but only for a photoshoot.

For sure, it's more of a goal to just get there, say I did it, not something I want to sustain.
  • mylittlechocobo
    Options
    Some body weight and size fluctuation is normal for women if you're cycling. Depending on the intensity of your exercise it could affect cycle length which might make it appear random if you don't track it (not necessarily just straight up amenhorrea, though that can happen too for very intense athletes or if you consume too little.)

I kind of agree with yirara - how flat your stomach gets or to what degree you can see defined ab muscles can vary a lot for women and for some it might not be realistic. I've seen a couple posts around here for vacuum exercises which might help - maybe someone who knows more about that can chime in.

Come to think of it I've always been on the pill and just recently stopped, I was originally on it to regulate cycles.

• mylittlechocobo
    Options
    What do you mean by visible abs? A 6-pack, or just some ab definition? How long have you been trying? As the above poster said, obtaining visible abs can be genetic,but it also takes A LOT of hard work over a long period of time.

That being said, there's the saying that abs are made in the kitchen, and that is mostly true. It also takes overall strength training, and ironically often doesn't take a lot of direct core work. Being aware of your posture throughout the day is important too, because if you're not engaging your core muscles appropriately during daily life, they can still be relatively weak.

As far as what's causing your bloating, it's really hard to say what it is specifically in your case. Cruciferous vegetables may be one, dairy may be another, but everyone is individual. I'm actually on phase 2 of an elimination diet right now for digestive and other issues, and it turns out some of the stuff I thought cause my bloating actually don't.

Well I was thinking clearly visible but as I replied to another post not for an extended period, just to know I can do it. I've done water fasting and juice fasting before and thought that might show something but it wasn't really what I was hoping. I read somewhere about it being important to maintain protein intakes in order to see abs so I'm trying a different approach so I'd really just consider myself at ground zero on it. My posture is terrible if I'm honest haha will work on that!

I did an elimination diet as well last year, found that dairy didn't agree much and have avoided it since other than a tablespoon for my coffee/tea. May I ask the details of your diet? Is it a specific elimination diet?

• penguinmama87
    Options

Come to think of it I've always been on the pill and just recently stopped, I was originally on it to regulate cycles.

That could very well be it. When you're on the pill, you're not actually cycling even though you probably had a regular withdrawal bleed (not true menstruation.) So the fluctuations in your body may feel unfamiliar just because you haven't experienced it in a while. :) It may also take a while for the hormones to sort themselves out so the first few cycles can be kinda weird and things don't happen at the times you would expect.
  • mylittlechocobo
    Options

That could very well be it. When you're on the pill, you're not actually cycling even though you probably had a regular withdrawal bleed (not true menstruation.) So the fluctuations in your body may feel unfamiliar just because you haven't experienced it in a while. :) It may also take a while for the hormones to sort themselves out so the first few cycles can be kinda weird and things don't happen at the times you would expect.

Yes I think you're right, can't believe I didn't think of it first haha
  • penguinmama87
    Options

Yes I think you're right, can't believe I didn't think of it first haha

LOL I get it! My first cycle back after I have a baby (in my case it's always been over a year postpartum, although it can vary a lot) I am always super confused about why I am so suddenly an emotional trainwreck. :smiley: When it's not something you're used to thinking about, it's hard to remember!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options

Well I was thinking clearly visible but as I replied to another post not for an extended period, just to know I can do it. I've done water fasting and juice fasting before and thought that might show something but it wasn't really what I was hoping. I read somewhere about it being important to maintain protein intakes in order to see abs so I'm trying a different approach so I'd really just consider myself at ground zero on it. My posture is terrible if I'm honest haha will work on that!

I did an elimination diet as well last year, found that dairy didn't agree much and have avoided it since other than a tablespoon for my coffee/tea. May I ask the details of your diet? Is it a specific elimination diet?

I started working with a dietician via Zoom, after the physical therapist I started seeing (at least my 4th time in PT) suggested that my diet could be at least partially contributing to all my aches and pains. I also have chronic digestive issues. I underwent MRT food sensitivity testing, and was given the results of how "reactive" I was to certain foods. Certain foods were surprising--like turkey, walnuts, chickpeas and grapes (bye, wine). The elimination diet is based on the LEAP protocol and my specific results, although I couldn't have dairy or gluten for at least the first 3 weeks (although supposedly I'm low reactive to wheat). In phase 1 I could only eat about 25 ingredients, which included things like pepper, parsley and paprika. After a week, I could move to phase 2, adding a new food each day from my least reactive foods. I keep moving through those phases, until all but my reactive foods are added back in. Then, I have to alternate the foods so I'm only eating an ingredient every 3 days.

I was quite skeptical at first, but I really am amazed at how much better I feel. Hardly any bloating, unless it's a naturally bloat-causing food like beans. Even during ovulation and PMS, I was not nearly as bloated as I was before. My mood is much more even-keeled as well. I'm also WAY less achy than I was, and my knee and ankle aren't bothering me at all.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    To have a six pack you need a combination of enough muscle and low enough fat. I’ve been as low as c14% fat but I had no real ab muscles, and now I have the muscle and a little layer of fat over it! Can’t win 🤷‍♂️ I have got oblique definition but for me it’s been really, really hard to get there. Like 8-10 hours hard weight training each week with full body training. So I suspect I’m not genetically predisposed to getting a six pack. You won’t know until you try, so go for it!
  • mylittlechocobo
    Options
    I started working with a dietician via Zoom, after the physical therapist I started seeing (at least my 4th time in PT) suggested that my diet could be at least partially contributing to all my aches and pains. I also have chronic digestive issues. I underwent MRT food sensitivity testing, and was given the results of how "reactive" I was to certain foods. Certain foods were surprising--like turkey, walnuts, chickpeas and grapes (bye, wine). The elimination diet is based on the LEAP protocol and my specific results, although I couldn't have dairy or gluten for at least the first 3 weeks (although supposedly I'm low reactive to wheat). In phase 1 I could only eat about 25 ingredients, which included things like pepper, parsley and paprika. After a week, I could move to phase 2, adding a new food each day from my least reactive foods. I keep moving through those phases, until all but my reactive foods are added back in. Then, I have to alternate the foods so I'm only eating an ingredient every 3 days.

I was quite skeptical at first, but I really am amazed at how much better I feel. Hardly any bloating, unless it's a naturally bloat-causing food like beans. Even during ovulation and PMS, I was not nearly as bloated as I was before. My mood is much more even-keeled as well. I'm also WAY less achy than I was, and my knee and ankle aren't bothering me at all.

Ah sounds very similar to what I did, although pepper and paprika were a no go for me. First four weeks was basically nothing but lean meats, eggs, and a ton of green veggies. Weeks 6-8 started adding in nuts (but no peanuts) and fruits. 8-12 was the grains and dairy one at a time to see any reactions and of course the no sugar no alcohol rule applied throughout. After 12 weeks and knowing my "trigger foods" I ended up doing a nine day water fast as well just for the heck of it. Also had the same advice of alternating foods and further to that keeping calories low, only do standard three meals a day so my body isn't always working to digest and 16:8 intermittent fasting. Honestly it worked wonders for my body but hard to maintain strict diet all the time so I learned moderation in things like wine which I very much enjoy but really shouldn't have haha.
  • mylittlechocobo
    Options
    To have a six pack you need a combination of enough muscle and low enough fat. I’ve been as low as c14% fat but I had no real ab muscles, and now I have the muscle and a little layer of fat over it! Can’t win 🤷‍♂️ I have got oblique definition but for me it’s been really, really hard to get there. Like 8-10 hours hard weight training each week with full body training. So I suspect I’m not genetically predisposed to getting a six pack. You won’t know until you try, so go for it!

I believe I have the built up muscle from years of working a very physical job and steady workouts which included weight training but don't think I've ever been below 20% bf...maybe close after my elimination diet/water fast but then at the time I didn't have enough protein so might have been working against me. Definitely a tricky balance I'm finding. Still gonna try my best!