Up My Calories Alread?!

Options
I've been tracking religiously for almost two weeks. I set MFP to the lowest activity level and chose to hopefully lose 2 lbs/week. It set me up on 1200 calories a day. Since the initial set up, I've been working out 5 days/week.

The first week I would burn in the 250-350 range and eat 75%ish of my exercise calories back. First week's weight loss? 5 lbs. While I realize most of this was probably water weight, it was a huge motivator that my hard work was paying off. From sitting for most of the day, eating whatever junk I pleased to eating/counting 1200 calories a day and working out for an hour a day all week.

This past week I have been burning in the 450-600 range while still eating the same 75% of my exercise calories back. 1 lb lost so far with 2 days to go until I "officially" weigh in. I don't think that it's bad loss, I just feel like with the drastic and sudden change in my lifestyle and eating habits, it should be more? I just want to make sure I'm on the right track sooner rather than later to see good results in the coming weeks. Is it possible that my metabolism has adjusted to my new fitness level?

Any advice is really appreciated and any other helpful information for a newbie is welcome! : )

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    While you should eat more than 1200, you have lost 6lbs in 2weeks. I don't get the "problem"
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Chill out and just stick with the plan is my advice.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Building muscle? whats you BMR? You should follow that as a base and then burn off calories?
    I was on 1200, didnt lose anything, worked my *kitten* off.
    I was told to eat 2000 and burn off 500 calories a day.
    I set my limit to 1500 and I eat the 1500 (or close to it) and I burn 400-600.
    I am scared to eat 2000 :/

Just seeing what my body will do from the change in calories (started Wednesday).
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Chill out and just stick with the plan is my advice.

Yup.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Building muscle? whats you BMR? You should follow that as a base and then burn off calories?

Just seeing what my body will do from the change in calories (started Wednesday).

No one's building muscle at 1200 calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Not building muscle netting less than 1200 a day.

Personally, I think your goal of 2lbs a week is too aggressive for the amount you have to lose, and setting yourself on sedentary when you are clearly not in order to get the lowest cals is just setting yourself up for failure.

Yes, we like to see big losses, and we want the weight gone yesterday, but trying to rush through it usually leads to binges, burn out, exhaustion, and yo-yo dieting as you start and stop and start and stop, lose some, regain some, etc. Not fun!

Slow and steady is the way to go! By your goal on your ticker, I'd say set your loss goal to no more than 1 lb a week. You may lose more than that some week, you may lose less, it's not linear. And change your activity to at least a step up from sedentary - unless you move from your bed, to your fridge to your sofa and stay there all day, you're not sedentary.

MFP is an awesome tool, but you have to give it the correct and realistic information. Then eat your calories, exercise, drink water, get good rest - it works!

Good luck! :smile:
  • raquelfisher7
    raquelfisher7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the perspective, it's easy to forget that 6 lbs is still something to be proud of.

No, not building muscle. I want to continue to lose a little more before taking on the task of trying to learn and adjust to new information for building muscle. I'm still figuring out the weight loss part : )
  • raquelfisher7
    Options

Not building muscle netting less than 1200 a day.

Personally, I think your goal of 2lbs a week is too aggressive for the amount you have to lose, and setting yourself on sedentary when you are clearly not in order to get the lowest cals is just setting yourself up for failure.

Yes, we like to see big losses, and we want the weight gone yesterday, but trying to rush through it usually leads to binges, burn out, exhaustion, and yo-yo dieting as you start and stop and start and stop, lose some, regain some, etc. Not fun!

Slow and steady is the way to go! By your goal on your ticker, I'd say set your loss goal to no more than 1 lb a week. You may lose more than that some week, you may lose less, it's not linear. And change your activity to at least a step up from sedentary - unless you move from your bed, to your fridge to your sofa and stay there all day, you're not sedentary.

MFP is an awesome tool, but you have to give it the correct and realistic information. Then eat your calories, exercise, drink water, get good rest - it works!

THANK YOU!

When I set it up I did honestly think I had the activity level of a sloth because I didn't exercise, on purpose anyway, but I am moderately active as a SAHM. I do quite a bit of running around now that I think about it. Adjusting my goals now...

I still feel like 50 lbs is a long way to go, but again I'm so new I don't know what people with the same amount to lose expect to lose either. Thanks for all the great information!
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. It will ebb and flow; my weight loss looks like a set of stairs - up and down but it comes eventually as long as you continue working at a realistic pace. Remember this is for your life long so be realistic ... and forgiving. (Good luck - you're doing great.!

I see you just posted again and wanted to share I started on 1/7/2013 at 219 and it took 6 months to hit 30 lbs; I hope for 50 lbs by the end of the year.
  • raquelfisher7
    Options
    You're doing great. It will ebb and flow; my weight loss looks like a set of stairs - up and down but it comes eventually as long as you continue working at a realistic pace. Remember this is for your life long so be realistic ... and forgiving. (Good luck - you're doing great.!

I see you just posted again and wanted to share I started on 1/7/2013 at 219 and it took 6 months to hit 30 lbs; I hope for 50 lbs by the end of the year.

Thank you : ) You can definitely tell those who are annoyed by newbie/ "easy" answer questions from the truly supportive people!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options

Thank you : ) You can definitely tell those who are annoyed by newbie/ "easy" answer questions from the truly supportive people!

:huh: :yawn:
  • kaogirlup
    Options
    Slow and steady...I had 50 pounds to lose at the beginning of the year...I decreased my intake and the increased my activity a little at a time. I just started on MFP a few weeks ago and it has helped SO MUCH!!! Only 20 lbs to go...at a pound a week, I should be there (or at least very close) by the end of the year.

Best wishes to you on your journey! Feel free to friend me and we can travel together! :happy:
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Slowly and steadily is the way to go.

it worked for me and is easier than you think. Don't over-think or analyze it.

Eat what you want but in moderation (unless you have medical issues that dictate you have to avoid certain foods).

Drink lots of water.

Don't overdo exercise and continue to eat back a portion of your exercise calories burned.

Make attainable goals along the way and celebrate each one that you reach. (Take it step by step.)

Enjoy the process and you will be rewarded with good results.

I'm in my second year of maintenance of losing over 35 pounds so I know it works. I didn't do anything but track on MFP and follow the basic commonsense approach. You can do it too!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    6lbs in 2 weeks. Darn girl, that's great. Good job!
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we are on similar paths; I started at 219 on 1/7/2013 and have about 15 lbs to go by the end of the year to reach 50 lbs.

Slow and steady...I had 50 pounds to lose at the beginning of the year...I decreased my intake and the increased my activity a little at a time. I just started on MFP a few weeks ago and it has helped SO MUCH!!! Only 20 lbs to go...at a pound a week, I should be there (or at least very close) by the end of the year.

Best wishes to you on your journey! Feel free to friend me and we can travel together! :happy:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Another thing is that when you first start working out, your body retains water while storing up glucose for use in exercise and in connection with healing those small tears that result in muscle soreness.

Very shortly after beginning here in June, I also started roofing in high heat after having had a desk job for years. For 14 days we were working really long hours and my weight loss stalled. I wasn't worried because I knew I wasn't overeating and I was definitely toning up, but there was a point where I thought I might have to take off my wedding ring because my fingers and joints were so swollen. No muscle soreness really, although my back hurt. lol

I just kept going and it all leveled off. In just over 2.5 months, I have lost 36 (not as dramatic as it sounds because I have a lot more than you to lose, so it comes off fast at first. But not one pound of it was during those two weeks!

You're doing great! Hang in there.

Here's some links about what I referenced above:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=68
    http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_39th.htm (a little application, but related)
    http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2002/135.htm
  • raquelfisher7
    Options
    Another thing is that when you first start working out, your body retains water while storing up glucose for use in exercise and in connection with healing those small tears that result in muscle soreness.

Very shortly after beginning here in June, I also started roofing in high heat after having had a desk job for years. For 14 days we were working really long hours and my weight loss stalled. I wasn't worried because I knew I wasn't overeating and I was definitely toning up, but there was a point where I thought I might have to take off my wedding ring because my fingers and joints were so swollen. No muscle soreness really, although my back hurt. lol

I just kept going and it all leveled off. In just over 2.5 months, I have lost 36 (not as dramatic as it sounds because I have a lot more than you to lose, so it comes off fast at first. But not one pound of it was during those two weeks!

You're doing great! Hang in there.

Thank you : ) I did end up with "runners knee" so maybe that has something to do with it? I wouldn't have even considered that so thanks for adding.

I'm down another 2 lbs since last night so I'll try not to stress about it too much. Fluctuations are crazy (and apparently normal)!

Here's some links about what I referenced above:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=68
    http://www.marathontraining.com/articles/art_39th.htm (a little application, but related)
    http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2002/135.htm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I say enjoy it while it lasts. You're going to stall eventually, then you can switch to 'lose 1lb a week' (which personally I think is more reasonable if you only have 50 lbs to lose though).
  • baba5013
    Options
    I think that you are doing great. One thing that I've just recently learned is, to be patience. And to never give up on something that I really want. It is challenging to wait, but time will past anyway.

Good luck with your journey!