MRK
QCOM
WMT
SPY

Replies

• MissAtomicBomb238
    MissAtomicBomb238 Posts: 65 Member
    Following*

I’m into anything low risk right now. For me, that means more mutual fund than anything else- which is kind of a mixed bag. I get nervous about the higher risk stuff especially since I’m sort of looking long term- retirement et al.

What about crypto? I never got on that train and I’m regretting it. However, I still don’t quite get the block chain concept...and NFTs. Like what’s happening there.

Tl/dr- I love following financial trends but I’m Uber risk averse
  • Danw586
    Danw586 Posts: 237 Member
    Following*

I’m into anything low risk right now. For me, that means more mutual fund than anything else- which is kind of a mixed bag. I get nervous about the higher risk stuff especially since I’m sort of looking long term- retirement et al.

What about crypto? I never got on that train and I’m regretting it. However, I still don’t quite get the block chain concept...and NFTs. Like what’s happening there.

I missed the crypto train as well, although I’m long term bearish on the future of Bitcoin, etc... it has no intrinsic value, too volatile to be a currency, and it has a huge environmental impact.

In terms of low risk, I like a Vanguard ETF that tracks the S&P 500.
  • Danw586
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Stocks and Bonds are a sucker bet.

Instead, I've invested my entire life savings in WWF Action Figures.

The future looks bright.

WWF_HASBRO_ACTION_FIGURES.jpg

Still better than Non Fungible Tokens
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    I'll just say when it comes to stocks..... if y'all like chicken, please start dining at El Pollo Loco (currently trading at 17.5 ).

I just need to cut my losses and look into something less... I dunno, less 'chicken'.
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    Danw586 wrote: »
    Following*

I missed the crypto train as well, although I’m long term bearish on the future of Bitcoin, etc... it has no intrinsic value, too volatile to be a currency, and it has a huge environmental impact.

I Was going to share my current stuff and realized...interwebs are scary. That said, I just listened to a Radiolab while running that covered the creation of Zcoin. I still don’t understand decentralization but I love the idea of disruption. It’s also such a weird game in terms of human trust and how/why we trust a paper dollar over other things. And NYT just did a deep dive into NFTs and that was an interesting maze. And do we start thinking about meme stocks!?!?
  • Danw586
    Following*

I Was going to share my current stuff and realized...interwebs are scary. That said, I just listened to a Radiolab while running that covered the creation of Zcoin. I still don’t understand decentralization but I love the idea of disruption. It’s also such a weird game in terms of human trust and how/why we trust a paper dollar over other things. And NYT just did a deep dive into NFTs and that was an interesting maze. And do we start thinking about meme stocks!?!?

Agreed on the disruption. Blockchain and digital payments are the future. The question is which if any of the current ones will be it. Governments and big companies are already creating their own versions of crypto.
  • JFinn26
    JFinn26 Posts: 708 Member
    Following*

Environmental impact? How so? More energy is wasted on Google searches than mining Bitcoin.
    Fun fact- just one Google search uses the energy equivalent of powering a 60W lightbulb for 17 seconds...think of how many Google searches are done every second, minute, hour, day....globally...
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    JFinn26 wrote: »
    Following*

Environmental impact? How so? More energy is wasted on Google searches than mining Bitcoin.
    Fun fact- just one Google search uses the energy equivalent of powering a 60W lightbulb for 17 seconds...think of how many Google searches are done every second, minute, hour, day....globally...

But Google is also carbon neutral. Can the same be said of cryptocurrencies?
  • Danw586
    It takes 72000 gigawatts to mine one Bitcoin. Imagine if it became the global currency and the amount of energy it would require.
  • Danw586
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    5w0e91rvexii.gif

They only go up, am I right?!
  • MissAtomicBomb238
    It takes 72000 gigawatts to mine one Bitcoin. Imagine if it became the global currency and the amount of energy it would require.

Didnt Musk recently call it a hustle?

• Danw586

Didnt Musk recently call it a hustle?

That was Dogecoin which was essentially created as joke but has turned into a speculative bubble.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member

bitcoin farm
    lfaxn22u4sjh.jpg
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member

The future looks bright.

Why is Brutus the Barber Beefcake carrying hedge clippers?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »

The future looks bright.

Why wouldn't he ??
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,042 Member
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »

The future looks bright.

The fact the you knew which on is Brutus the barber is kind 🔥 not gone lie 🤷‍♂️ - we’re you really a fan of 80’s/early 90’s wwf??🤔

3u8ncj8z0417.gif
  • Danw586
    Apparently Elon Musk agrees about the environmental issue with bitcoin. Annnd it plunges..