Weighing 150lbs vs weighing 100 and carrying 50lbs?

Hello I was thinking about this and was wondering...

If you are 100lbs and walk a mile and burn 35 calories but then walk the same mile carrying 50lbs, would you burn the same amount as someone of 150lbs walking the distance? I ask because physics would say yes but it seems like it would be so much harder to walk the distance carrying it than if you were simply 150lbs.

For those who have lost a lot of weight. If you carry around the amount of weight you lost does it feel exactly like it did when you were heavier? I am wondering if carrying around a weight would give me an idea of how it really would feel to be overweight. Or if it feels completely different l.

Replies

• Hodgy2357
    Hodgy2357 Posts: 60 Member
    I've lost 30 pounds so far and can confidently tell you carrying 30 pounds in say a rucksack and being 30 pounds heavier and walking are very different. Think a lot of it is in the distribution. In terms of calories body composition matters a lot, as well as age and fitness.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Assuming the extra 50lbs on the 150lbs are not purely fat/liquids, the heavier person likely also has more muscle, so they would have more muscle power to carry their 150lbs vs someone whose muscle power only supports 100lbs daily and then gets extra weight on a backpack.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think it's a very interesting question and @heybales makes a great point that your extra weight is always burning extra calories. Not as much if it's adipose tissue (fat) as when it's muscle or your brain, but still something.

I also point out that some people like walking and running with extra weight so much that they buy a weight vest so they can do it comfortably. Others like backpacking. Yes, both are much harder than walking without weight!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

If you are 100lbs and walk a mile and burn 35 calories but then walk the same mile carrying 50lbs, would you burn the same amount as someone of 150lbs walking the distance? I ask because physics would say yes but it seems like it would be so much harder to walk the distance carrying it than if you were simply 150lbs.

For those who have lost a lot of weight. If you carry around the amount of weight you lost does it feel exactly like it did when you were heavier? I am wondering if carrying around a weight would give me an idea of how it really would feel to be overweight. Or if it feels completely different l.

There are some humorous videos around where they stick pretend baby bumps (so, a sudden increase of weight) on expecting dads so they can get an idea of what the moms are going through. It doesn't come anywhere close to experiencing it internally, and obviously just like gaining weight a baby grows slowly (though I have had the days where I reach up to open a cabinet and suddenly can't because my belly is in the way, when I'm sure I could the day before!) But the expectant dads usually do figure out that when pregnant women suffer little aches and pains and feel awkward moving in a way they aren't accustomed to, they aren't just making stuff up - it's definitely real!

I don't carry weighted packs but I do walk regularly with my 10 month old baby in a carrier. My weight right now + carrier + baby is a little bit under my highest pregnancy weight. It's higher up and supported differently (I can also carry on my front or on my back.) If baby's awake, she also helps hold herself up - a fast asleep baby feels much heavier, though also wiggles less! It does feel harder to use the carrier than to not be holding her, but it's also something I'm rather used to. It would probably be much harder if I wasn't used to it at all. This happens with my arms too - new parents might have tired arms and back from porting around a 7-8 pound newborn, but if I hold up a newborn right now it feels almost ludicrously easy. They don't fight you and they weigh only a third of what my baby does!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member

There are some humorous videos around where they stick pretend baby bumps (so, a sudden increase of weight) on expecting dads so they can get an idea of what the moms are going through. It doesn't come anywhere close to experiencing it internally, and obviously just like gaining weight a baby grows slowly (though I have had the days where I reach up to open a cabinet and suddenly can't because my belly is in the way, when I'm sure I could the day before!) But the expectant dads usually do figure out that when pregnant women suffer little aches and pains and feel awkward moving in a way they aren't accustomed to, they aren't just making stuff up - it's definitely real!

I don't carry weighted packs but I do walk regularly with my 10 month old baby in a carrier. My weight right now + carrier + baby is a little bit under my highest pregnancy weight. It's higher up and supported differently (I can also carry on my front or on my back.) If baby's awake, she also helps hold herself up - a fast asleep baby feels much heavier, though also wiggles less! It does feel harder to use the carrier than to not be holding her, but it's also something I'm rather used to. It would probably be much harder if I wasn't used to it at all. This happens with my arms too - new parents might have tired arms and back from porting around a 7-8 pound newborn, but if I hold up a newborn right now it feels almost ludicrously easy. They don't fight you and they weigh only a third of what my baby does!

On a related note, my GYN doesn't understand how I can live with my very large fibroids, but they took 20 years to get this big and the only time they bother me is when they blow up a little more when I ovulate. (As I am 54, I should go into menopause ANY TIME NOW, which according to all my reading will help considerably.)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    The 150 lb person is just doing business as usual, even if they have 50 lbs of fat

The 100 lb person just put a huge strain on their joints and muscles, they are really going to feel it the next day.

They are not the same.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I used to watch The Biggest Loser, a regular feature when they were down to around five contestants was for them to get all the weight they lost back in various sized weighted belts that went around different parts of their bodies that they had to wear while performing a physical challenge.

While it was more than 50 pounds, it was also distributed around their bodies.

I remember lots of complaints about how difficult carrying the weight this way was.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    I think it's different.

I've lost just over 11kg (24lbs). I have an 8kg (17.6lbs) kettlebell, and if I were to pick that up and try to walk around with it all day, it would be a lot harder than simply walking around in my body when I weighed more.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I did not typically lug all the fat weight around with my arms (or legs, or back). Evenly distributed across multiple muscle groups is radically different than one muscle group doing all the work.