Frustrated with work "health" program...

Options
My work has a program where you can earn points and eventually money/rewards by continuing healthy habits. Some of these are common sense like getting enough sleep, not skipping breakfast, get exercise, etc. Great.
However...most of the nutrition advice has been very problematic for me. They advise logging what you eat-I'm in recovery from anorexia nervosa and being back on here to log my food is highly triggering to me. They also recommend logging your weight every day. I do not weigh myself every day but even stepping on the scale once or twice a week has been upsetting because I have definitely gained weight (wearing all the same clothes, etc but am keenly aware I'm above my usual).

I want to earn the money-kind of need to.

What would you do?

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to someone regarding the program, and how it effects you?
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    My work has a program where you can earn points and eventually money/rewards by continuing healthy habits. Some of these are common sense like getting enough sleep, not skipping breakfast, get exercise, etc. Great.
    However...most of the nutrition advice has been very problematic for me. They advise logging what you eat-I'm in recovery from anorexia nervosa and being back on here to log my food is highly triggering to me. They also recommend logging your weight every day. I do not weigh myself every day but even stepping on the scale once or twice a week has been upsetting because I have definitely gained weight (wearing all the same clothes, etc but am keenly aware I'm above my usual).

I want to earn the money-kind of need to.

What would you do?

I think these programs are probably pretty decent and are aimed at the general population of overweight and obese individuals who really do need some education on what it takes to achieve and (hopefully) maintain weight loss. It's also an incentive to employers to have employees who are at a healthy weight for insurance reasons as well. However, as someone who is recovering from an ED, I can absolutely see how it can be triggering to employ some of these techniques this program is recommending. I was never officially diagnosed with an ED, but probably had BED at some point and certainly had developed some disordered eating/thoughts about food. Logging food and daily weighing has been triggering for me at different points.

Perhaps this program is not the best fit for you right now. I think if you'd like to lose some weight, my best advice would be to work with an RD or psych/social worker who has experience in working with those recovering from ED's, as I think the approach would be different than the general population.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    You're pointing out an unintended consequence of a well-intended program. I think you are in a further bind, because in explaining your situation, you would be revealing a lot about your medical history.

I might consider instead sending a anonymous snail-mail letter to your HR department and/or upper management.

In general, I don't think any employer should make a financial consequence of a lifestyle decision. They can offer free voluntary and anonymous lifestyle services, if they want (like access to a gym, proactive healthcare, etc.).
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people need to pass on opportunities because they don’t work for them. I would suggest to do what works for you and just keep going forward.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My work has a similar program. Individual coaching and mental health therapy (employee assistance plan) are also included. Maybe use those resources. And maybe the logging program is not for you. My work program has weight loss as one of several activities. You are only encouraged to log food and weigh in (weekly, not daily) if you select that activity. On my work’s program, you’re not required to participate in any activities.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to sort of do those things? Such as checking off that you have eaten breakfast, rather than analyzing the nutritional content. And instead of noting your weight daily, noting how you feel about the progress you're making daily? Things to discuss with HR if they are not easily doable now.