Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

not feeling guilty over what you eat

Good morning MFP...

I just wanted to kind of spread some sunshine to everybody this morning...

I know we are all on a mission....I have 150 lbs to go with mine....however, I see alot of people eating so healthy etc...yet they feel guilty about eating a lil more in calories than planned etc.....I know, trust me i do, know how it feels to feel guilty about eating over on my calories...i've done it before myself...but here recently, it was brought to my attention that if the choices I made were healthy and I didnt over eat, then why allow that guilt to weight me down?

That's my question to you? Why allow guilt to take president in your mind when you know you made a healthy choice in something you eat, but the calories are more than you expected or planned?

Please know that at one point in life, most of us were eating double, some triple the calories we eat today......I have to also remind myself that this is a lifestyle change, not just a weight loss challenge.....Even Bob, on the Biggest loser, says if you focus on just the weight loss, it will add weight because you will begin to stress.

Be proud of your current accomplishments....take pride in the fact you are eating healthier and living right.....

Replies

• sweetrevenge
    sweetrevenge Posts: 188
    Thank you! I really needed this today.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    First congrats on your loss so far, I too hava a large amount of weight to loose. I agree with you about quilt...they say it is the biggest waste of time there is. :flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    I am human, I eat junk sometimes, I just get back on the horse the next day and keep ridin!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    I could not agree more! Well said!

And I'll add that EVERY time (and there have been a lot of times) I've dieted rather than changed my lifestyle and mindset, I've gained it all back. If I panicked everytime I go over my calories I'd be in a constant state of worry and that's just not good. I'm eating as close as I can get every day and I'm losing a pound a week very steadily and reliably. And it's something I know I can keep up forever - and that's WAY more important than a quicker loss. I upped my calorie goal from 1200 to 1400 and I also eat my exercise calories because that's what is comfortable. And guess what? It works!! :drinker:

Life is FAR to short to spend it being hung up on exact numbers and feeling guilty over a full fat yogurt! :wink:
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Amen.
    Isn't the goal to FEEL healthier and happier? Relaxing a bit will go a long way towards that goal. Generally I try and be under my calorie goal for the week, since some days are a little over and some are a little under. And I enjoy the hell out of what I eat.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Wonderful reminder! You have a great mindset about your lifestyle change.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Today's my cheat day! I just ate McDonald's... thanks for posting this b/c I was just about to feel guilty... well, ok, I feel a little guilty but it IS my cheat day. The rest of the day is planned and Sunday I'm doing a 10k so...

I hope you all have a great day! Good job on your weight loss and NEVER GIVE UP! :flowerforyou:
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    AWESOME POST!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Like the post!

Too many people obsess over what they eat. Treating food as the "enemy" will only slow progress down!

Wednesday Night my husband took me out for dinner w/ the kids (which barely happens lol). I know I was going to go over my calorie limit but I didn't worry about it too much. I enjoyed my meal! I mean if you going to spend money at a restaurant than enjoy it! It's not liek you have it every day! LOL My main course was on the under 550 cal menu (Applebee's - that steak dish is pretty yummy - i found out it was only 380 cal!) but I shared an appetizer & dessert which my husband - usually we get our own dessert & sometimes appetizer. Sharing a dessert may not have been a good idea but totally beats eating the whole dessert alone =) So even though I went under my calories (I don't mean going 10 under), to me it was worth it because I got to spend some alone time with my husband =)

There next day is always a new day. Through our fitness journey will make mistakes but we can't beat ourselves over it because that is how our motivation goes away.
  • These are my thoughts exactly....I mean honestly, if you mess up everyday, i can see where the guilt would come in, but in most cases, we arent messing up daily, just every now and then and not every calorie over is a mess up....one day last week, i ate so good as far as my choices but was over like 200 calories....i began to feel guilty but then my aunt reminding me of these few things...

1) i'm eating healthier
    2) i'm not over eating
    3) i am human
    4) condemnation is not from God
    5) just one or two days of a little over calories isnt going to hurt, its consistent overeating that hurts.