Fasting?

pmontoya9
pmontoya9 Posts: 10 Member
Hi all!
Does Fasting work for you? If so, can you drink 0calorie diet Coke?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2021
    Work for what?

Fasting means no calories, so I think 0 calorie Coke qualifies.
  • sunny145
    sunny145 Posts: 73 Member
    I've been doing 20:4 also. I eat in the evenings also. I find it's easier to just not eat during the day than to plan and prep the right foods and quantities.
  • pmontoya9
    pmontoya9 Posts: 10 Member
    ThAnk you so much!!! Sooo helpful
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Fasting works for me. I lost 40lbs that I have been trying to lose for the past ten years. So far I have kept it off for 6months post fast.
    I am not a soda drinker but some people drink diet sodas and zero calorie drinks. I guess it depends on the type of fast and how it makes you feel.
  • Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    It's your fast you may drink as many zero calorie drinks as you wish 😊
    But drinks with sweeteners will make you hungry.
    Which will make the fast harder.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think there are multiple schools of thought/theory on diet soda and insulin spikes — none mine and I’ll keep my personal opinion out of this — but it’s not about calories but the bodies response to the sweetener. In reading about fasting/watching videos, it seems some folks believe that some artificial sweeteners trigger the same response in the brain as sugars and therefore cause insulin levels to rise.

You may find this interesting: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-insulin/#axzz73ph6KcJi

Lots of info, studies cited, etc. In the end, theory — small sample sizes, species tested, etc. are all worth noting.

I find dietary advice/information is like CNN v. Fox News — based on personal belief systems and easily countered with another similar, but opposite source.
  • rockymountaindawn
    rockymountaindawn Posts: 146 Member
    I have done IF for over 10 years.. at least ~my~ way of fasting anyway... coffee with SF creamer in the morning.. no bkft.. no snacks, no lunch.. and if on the rare occasion i had a diet soda before i broke my fast.. it didnt seam to make a difference (for me anyay)... but also.. i dont like soda very much anyway, so it was a very very rare occaission. Id also have diet green tea... and no negative affect..

But i always eat an amazing and nutritious dinner!😁

PS ... no energy crashes.. no loss of hair or nail growth.. (i take my vitamins tho too!!)

And i alway ALWAYS feel great!! Im now 50 and look and feel younger than my 6 and 7 yr younger sisters and cousins.. so it cannot be all bad! 😁
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    The purpose of fasting is to turn off INSULIN (and mTOR) and turn on AUTOPHAGIA.

Crank up that wonderful HGH and let it do its antiaging and detox magic.

Bodybuilders call this "bulk" and "cut".

Diet drinks sweetened with artificial sweetners may or may not make you hungry. It may or may not spike your blood sugar.

But it WILL spike your insulin level.

You just BLEW the fast. Only allowed drinks besides WATER are "black" coffee and teas.
    tsazani wrote: »
    The purpose of fasting is to turn off INSULIN (and mTOR) and turn on AUTOPHAGIA.

Crank up that wonderful HGH and let it do its antiaging and detox magic.

Bodybuilders call this "bulk" and "cut".

Diet drinks sweetened with artificial sweetners may or may not make you hungry. It may or may not spike your blood sugar.

But it WILL spike your insulin level.

You just BLEW the fast. Only allowed drinks besides WATER are "black" coffee and teas.

Autophagia is one purpose from fasting, but I think OP is interested in fasting for weightloss.

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member

[/quote]

Fair enough.

Something to be careful of when posting - stating what applies to me personally vs what has universal application. [/quote]

Yes sir 🤣

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Fasting works for me. It has been the only thing in the past ten years that has long term. Everyone’s different.
    Not a regular soda drinker here but diet sodas tend to ignite cravings in me for sugar and food making it harder for me to fast. I have no clue on whether or not it spikes my insulin though.