Help with lunges/step ups

Options
I am a novice to the lifting world. I am doing NROLW and I am up to doing 27.5 lb in each hand during step ups and lunges. My equipment consists of the weight that go on the bar. The problem I am having is that the 2.5 lb weight has tiny holes that are hard to grip at the same time as the 25lb weight. Is there any band or something like that I can use to attach the two weights so I only have to hold the 25 lb one in my hand? Should I just invest in dumbells? Also, I feel like my arms are getting stretched out like crazy at the end of a set. This is normal right?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    anyway you can put them in a heavy duty back pack or get a weighted vest?
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    will it have the same affect if the weight is at my center rather than at my side?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The problem I am having is that the 2.5 lb weight has tiny holes that are hard to grip at the same time as the 25lb weight.

Try putting a shoelace through the hole in the 2.5 lb plate, then through the hole in the 25 lb. plate, and tie the ends together. Or use a velcro strap or whatever else you have lying around.

Putting 5 lbs in a backpack won't change the exercise much. If you put all 55 lbs in the pack, you won't get as much of a stabilization and arm workout. And yes, your arms will adapt to the load eventually. That's an impressive weight for a newbie gal! Consider getting a pair of adjustable dumbbells.