Day 36, 11 pounds down so far....this is what I've learned so far...

Options
lkn42
lkn42 Posts: 37 Member
edited May 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
1) I really do need to buy a food scale THIS weekend, I'm positive I'm getting my portion sizes wrong when logging.

2) It's difficult, but I do have the willpower to avoid indulging in workplace donuts, cookies, etc that so very tempting.

3) I'm gaining endurance and energy...I was SO sedentary, now I'm up to between 6000 and 8000 steps per day on my Fitbit.

4) I suck at cooking fish - I over cook it or under cook it every time.

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Love my food scales! Yes, that is plural. I have one at home, one at work. Learning to use a new tool takes a little getting used to, but it really does not require much in the way of time or effort.

For fish - I like fresh tilapia. (Cooking from frozen does NOT taste the same.) It is quick to cook (a few minutes each side is plenty) and easy to tell it is done because of its color/flakiness. I have not ventured into cooking other types of fish.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    wow! down 11 pounds in 36 days is great! Yes, learning to recognize was a portion really looks like is a process. Food scales help! You are doing awesome!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! As far as avoiding workplace treats, it's like anything else you want to get "good" at: it's hard at first, but the more you practice it, the better you get. Eventually, it becomes like second nature to avoid them. That's not to say I never indulge in them...but I'm choosy about what I do indulge in and make room in my food budget.

I'm the same way about cooking chicken--in my fear of undercooking it, I always seem to overcook it!
  • lkn42
    Options
    Love my food scales! Yes, that is plural. I have one at home, one at work. Learning to use a new tool takes a little getting used to, but it really does not require much in the way of time or effort.

For fish - I like fresh tilapia. (Cooking from frozen does NOT taste the same.) It is quick to cook (a few minutes each side is plenty) and easy to tell it is done because of its color/flakiness. I have not ventured into cooking other types of fish.

When I unthaw fish for some reason it always seems a bit soggy (not sure how else to describe it). I asked my husband just yesterday if he thinks we might be doing something wrong when we freeze it...maybe not wrapping or sealing it properly.
  • lkn42
    Options
    I like your learning. Here’s mine, after finally getting serious in January this year, and losing 22 pounds.. 40 to get to maintenance.
    1. Tracking my calories and exercise really helps, the line climbs steeply when I stop.
    2. I am not depriving myself. Food tastes much better now there is less of it.
    3. I was looking at the world through distorting mirrors. I am much fatter than I thought, so are other people. Friends who I thought were thin are really not.
    4. I was not a size 18. I was a size 22 squeezed into size 18. 22 lbs down and now I’m an 18. (English sizes)
    5. Planks are really really hard.
    6. There is no end point because this is not a diet. These changes are for life.

#'s 3 and 4. Yes...same here. I was squeezed into a smaller size as well.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    It’s not fancy, but it is good...oven 400F, parchment paper on baking sheet, blot fish dry with paper towels and place on paper, sprinkle with salt and pepper, bake, check after 10 min. If you have to, slice it in half to see if it is cooked. That’s all I do for salmon. I add more and different spices for other fish. When ambitious, I make a balsamic reduction (Google it). Fish used to trip me up, too. Actually, quite easy.