I stopped counting!

Options
I have made the decision to stop counting all my calories. I found that I was forming unhealthy habits and was being controlled by numbers. I have no idea how many calories I ate today, or how many I'll eat tomorrow. I'm going to continue like this for a few weeks before I weight in...hopefully I find that I can maintain like this :]

Replies

• sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just started doing this too. I need a mental break from numbers. Good luck to you! It's been a few days and I already feel so much better
  • epros39
    epros39 Posts: 17
    Options
    add me to the list.. it's important to log faithfully until you get your system in place. if you're active, there's no need to worry about the numbers. i'll continue to check in daily to keep my streak alive:) good luck~
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I don't count.
    I did in the past during previous weight loss attempts. They all failed because I drove myself crazy trying to figure out numbers and net goals and blah. Now look at the labels when I grocery shopping, and watch portion sizes, but I can't do the counting thing anymore. I just stick with fresh produce, cooked meals, and portion control.
  • jasonmva
    jasonmva Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been thinking about this for a while myself. Mind you I am only two months into getting started so I still have a long road to go but I am already driving myself cray. I feel like I have been depriving myself. I am not saying I am ready to go back to eating all sorts of fried foods or junk foods. I guess my question is should time stop counting this early in the game?
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about doing this too!! Hopefully it will yield positive results!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    If you come to a point where you find yourself obsessing and are beginning to feel you have developed unhealthy habits, then yes, it is important to take a few steps back and reevaluate.

May as well do a refeed period for awhile.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this for a while myself. Mind you I am only two months into getting started so I still have a long road to go but I am already driving myself cray. I feel like I have been depriving myself. I am not saying I am ready to go back to eating all sorts of fried foods or junk foods. I guess my question is should time stop counting this early in the game?

I would assume not counting could only work for people who have reached goal & have well established routines (ie: exercise). I see that you have achieved some weight loss & would hate for you to backslide (which I find hard not doing even when counting). My opinion - Too early for you to stop counting :) If you're anything like me, it would be back to old habits! If counting has worked, keep at it!

I've been logging (almost) daily for 1 1/2 years. It's a pain sometimes, but it works. Even when I have a bad day, I log. Keeps it real. When I wasn't logging (in my previous life prior to MFP), it got me fat. And somehow, I don't mind looking @ numbers. It's just what I have to do or I'm terrified I'll go back to who I was before :tongue:

Best wishes reaching your goal :smile:
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Awesome! :D I look forward to a day when eating becomes more natural and less regimented.

I'm not even close to my goals, but I did stop counting for several months right after I started; I had a ton of personal problems taking up my mental space, and I couldn't count on top of that.

I don't recommend it if you're early on, honestly. I was lucky in that I didn't gain any weight. I even continued to lose, but very slowly. Logging keeps me (more) consistently at a deficit, while I suspect that when I wasn't logging I was only occasionally at a deficit.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    That was part of the reason I started 4:3 that way I don't count like I was. I was obsessed...... every calorie hard to be under an amount or I'd just not eat it.

Now I just dont care. And I'm happier for it. 3 days a week I eat nothing..... suits me. Then I just dont worry the other 4 days. I eat what I want to eat. Simple.

And I still lose weight.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 months to lose 30lbs on MFP a few years ago. It took 2 years for half that weight to creep back on after a stopped counting.

It was only down to me not making wise choices with meals, and letting the exercise regime diminish.

If you can keep on top of eating and exercising well, there's no need at all to count.

Likewise, I obsessed a little over the numbers and needed to get past that. Right now I want to shift a few lbs but I'm counting at maintenance level. Just to keep myself in check while I get back on track.

During this time I am not worrying about going over. For example this weekend I stayed with family and ate meals in excess of 1000cals but my weight has not shifted at all.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Counting is a pain in the butt and just makes me more obsessed with food when I do it. My workaround has been to plan all my meals in advance so I don't need to count anything during the week. I've developed a system for myself, which I call "modular meals" - every part of my meals (protein, vegetable, etc.) has 2-3 possible choices of food item which are equal in calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc. so I can just mix and match and It'll still be the same numbers. Let me demonstrate by showing my meals:

My breakfast contains one 70-gram serving of fruit, half a cup of cottage cheese, and 1 meat. That fruit could be papaya or cantaloupe, which are equivalent, and the meat could be one egg, or two turkey breakfast sausage links, or three strips of center-cut bacon, all of which are also equal. A 12-oz cup of coffee with a tablespoon of regular creamer and a packet of Splenda completes breakfast.

Dinner can be 4 oz of chicken tenderloin or a fish fillet (usually tilapia; it's inexpensive), and this week I'm adding lean pork tenderloin to the menu. All of those are equivalent. Dinner also includes leafy green salads of various kinds with 6 grape tomatoes and 2 tbsp of a lite dressing of my choice. The dressings in my collection range from 40 to 60 calories per serving, all under 3 carbs, so they are fairly interchangeable as well.

Snack is a negligible-calorie vegetable (a few spears of cucumber or zucchini, or two medium stalks of celery) with a tablespoon of lite ranch-type dressings for dip.

So because all my meals are modular like that, I never have to count. The only time I count anything anymore is when adding a new food option to my menu, which isn't often. Also no meal planning and analysis = no need to think about food almost ever. That's helped me break the cycle of a food-centric life more than anything I've ever tried.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I also started doing this. I still count but I don't impose a hard limit. If I want something, I will eat it, even if it's just a couple bites. I try to enjoy very healthy food in moderation and avoid going far over maintenance for the day or eating without hunger. If I'm not peckish I will have a deficit and the numbers will even out over the week. I expect with all of the exercise I do that I will maintain while providing enough fuel for the workouts.

I found that dieting made me obsess about numbers instead of health. It didn't matter if I jogged an hour that day and ate 80% of calories from healthy food. If I went over maintenance I saw it as a failure and disregarded all of the good stuff. And because I felt like I failed already, that next calorie laden snack was easier to eat. And I was hungry from those last few days at a deficit. Eventually these habits turned into binges. And then the cycle started the next day - deprive - hunger - binge. The feeling of restriction that comes with a diet is really a problem. I hated it more than anything in the weight loss process. I would rather drag around 100 pound boulders all day than deprive myself of some oatmeal or a healthy treat.

By throwing away the scale and enjoying food when I really want it, I find that I am maintaining my weight. I am being cautious to avoid gaining but I don't beat myself up for going over calories. And that's the most important thing over the long term. Who would obsessively count their calories for years on end? Eventually 99% of the public will get tired of this lifestyle if it's not built on solid habits that support themselves. Eating healthy, simple food makes it far easier to stay at a healthy weight naturally then the average American diet. Who ever binges on apples or carrots ?
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting calories and see better results now than when I was logging consistently. I started weight training and basically eat to fuel my body. After a few weeks of this, I decided to log what I had been eating each day to see how many calories, protein, etc. I was getting. Turns out I was eating around 1600-1800 calories a day and losing weight.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I would like to add you all as friends as I can`t stand counting. I haven`t lost any weight counting calories despite doing it the right way and counting every thing that went into my mouth. My TDEE is 2700 per day. I do not eat more than that! I hate numbers. I now use the EMTWL way. Hoping that will take the fat off eventually. Maintenance is the goal and who can count calories for the rest of their life?

Please add me!!:happy:
  • OMGitzj3551k4
    OMGitzj3551k4 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I stopped counting calories as well. I pretty much already know how many is in what I'm eating anyways, so I spare myself the torture. If you eat healthy on a regular basis and keep portions in control I don't see why you should count to maintain. I'm still pretty active as well and have maintained my 30 lbs lost for a month now.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I stopped a week ago just to see how I felt and it was a really nice break. Some days I ate more, some days I probably ate the "right" amount but it was such a nice break from thinking about it all the time. I think of food so much less now. That being said, I'm sort of logging today just to get a general idea on my carb & protein levels. While I don't miss logging, I do miss the information!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Once I hit maintenance I stopped counting too for the most part. I'm so incredibly active that the only time I ever log is if I'm worried I'm not eating enough. My PT told me today he was surprised I've managed to avoid losing more weight so I guess all according to plan 8)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I quit too. After 4-5 months of not losing anything, I started skipping breakfast. I'm losing again.
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    WORD. I also stopped counting. I'm nowhere near my fitness goal, but eating mindfully and making sure I'm active and exercising every day seems like a healthier way for me to live.

Good luck!!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have made the decision to stop counting all my calories. I found that I was forming unhealthy habits and was being controlled by numbers. I have no idea how many calories I ate today, or how many I'll eat tomorrow. I'm going to continue like this for a few weeks before I weight in...hopefully I find that I can maintain like this :]

yep!! Me too. I'm more in maintenance mode. I use my clothes and the scale and how full I feel at the end of the day to gauge my progress.