Thai?

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
I like Thai food but have never tried making Thai-inspired dishes at home. I bought a few cans of coconut milk and think I have most of the necessary spices. Does anyone have some good starter recipes? Helpful tips? Also, can I substitute lemon juice for lime? Should I make a big pot of basic sauce, portion and freeze for later use with rice, noodles, chicken or fish? Or is it better to make a fresh sauce batch with each dish?

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    I do curry from time to time (I just use the store-bought paste, I don't make my own). It freezes ok, and as long as I don't use mushrooms I freeze it with the chicken and veggies already in it. (Mushrooms get a really weird texture if they're frozen then thawed, not a fan.)

Tips: It's super adaptable. You can use whatever veg you want. If you can't get kaffir lime leaves, it will be fine. I think it would taste weird with lemon instead of lime, but it won't be inedible... But use lime unless you really hate it. Garnishes are enhancements, not requirements. If I just can't fit the full-fat coconut milk calories in my day, I use the Lite stuff. The curry isn't as rich and is a lot runnier, but the flavor is still there.

Green curry recipe: https://www.recipetineats.com/thai-green-curry/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    The David Thompson cookbook is the classic reference for Thai food. He's an Aussie chef who used to have a Michelin starred Thai restaurant in Bangkok.

Go for the original book called Thai Food with the fuschia cover. His newest cookbook on Thai street food is more of a coffee table book with large quantities of (non food) photographs and is too enormous to be practical.