Settings when Fitbit connected

Options
Please can someone let me know. I have a new Fitbit (last one seemed to be giving too many cals). I want to make sure before connecting I have everything set right.

Previous MFP was on Sedentary so was FitBit.

Is that correct and let FItbit send over what I do extra
or
should I set it to lightly active (which is what I am atm) and customise Fitbit?

Sorry for all the Qs lately!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can set it to whatever you want, the only difference it will create is WHEN you begin to see adjustments.

That is, if you set MFP to "sedentary," you will begin to see adjustments once you have moved MORE than what would be estimated for a sedentary person.

If you set it to "lightly active," you'll need to move more than that to see adjustments.

So it's really personal preference as to when you want to begin seeing adjustments. There is no "wrong" way to do it, it's just that people who are lightly active and set it to sedentary will see more adjustments (as opposed to getting more of the calories up front).
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have mine set based on TDEE (so, custom) but it is really close. I only see adjustments when I am more active - workout days or days when I am out and about instead of working from home.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,870 Member
    Options
    Enable negative adjustment if choosing more than sedentary

Final adjustment is at midnight. That's when the math completes.

Don't worry too much about the estimates: choose a sustainable deficit because you're not in this for six months and you're done.

Then compare your actual weight trend (results) to logged deficits (estimates) and adjust based on observed results while keeping your focus on sustainability of effort
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Usually sedentary is 3000 steps for MFP, at least that's the point after which I see exercise adjustments. Hopefully, as a point of comfort, I've found the calorie allotment for the day consistent regardless of my activity level. I'm set at sedentary, but I've played with it at every level. And the higher the activity level I set, the fewer calories it adds. (I get at least 10,000 steps a day.)

I keep it at sedentary because I like the big acticity calorie add. Look at how much I moved today! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Please can someone let me know. I have a new Fitbit (last one seemed to be giving too many cals). I want to make sure before connecting I have everything set right.

Previous MFP was on Sedentary so was FitBit.

Is that correct and let FItbit send over what I do extra
    or
    should I set it to lightly active (which is what I am atm) and customise Fitbit?

Sorry for all the Qs lately!

In addition to correct advice above - doesn't matter what you set the Fitbit to except what can confuse you. Sedentary on Fitbit doesn't matter except for it showing you an estimated daily burn. Really low ball.

Your settings on Fitbit won't change what it calculates from device as your Daily Burn, and that is synced to MFP.
    Well, if you enter incorrect body stats it'll estimate wrong, but outside that.

Don't even setup a diet on Fitbit, just leave at maintain.

Set a daily burn goal if desired.
    If you have MFP set for 500 cal deficit for 1 lb weekly say, and you know you like to eat 2000 daily - then set Fitbit daily burn goal to 2500.
    Knowing if you don't reach it, you don't get to eat 2000.

But don't worry about Fitbit eating goals, only use it for movement goals and stats.
    Use MFP for eating goals and stats.