Tips for going dairy free

Options
papple227
papple227 Posts: 32 Member
I need to cut out dairy temporarily while breastfeeding because my baby is just not handling the proteins too well. I pretty much live off of dairy so if anyone has any tips or food ideas to help me navigate this new journey, I’d appreciate it! I honestly had no idea how many food items actually have dairy in them, so I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.

Replies

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I like Califia Farms brand milk alternatives.
  • HabitRabbit
    HabitRabbit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Raw cashews and water whipped up replaces cream for us. Nutritional yeast or hummus in place of cheese. We have an assortment of milks but have settled on oat milk in our oatmeal, soy milk in coffee.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There are so many plant based options these days, you can probably find a non-dairy alternative for most of the things you currently eat (depending on where you live, but where I am there are many plant based mills, yoghurts, cheeses, ice creams etc.)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I had to do the same for each of my kiddos... it’s not fun, but they will feel so much better! (And in turn far less fussy!)

It sounds funny, but avocado is a big dairy free staple for me. It adds the soft creaminess to things like sandwiches and salads. I made mashed potatoes with mayo and chicken stock (nutritional yeast would probably work well here but I have never tried it). Most times I just did without rather than substitute, but this was 10+ years ago when I was doing it and dairy free subs were few and far between. Read labels and make note of brands to make it easier to shop. Ask questions at restaurants (I had no idea steak houses out butter on steaks). I did the plant based butter (blanking on the name) and it was decent. It’s just finding new habits and pushing past the cravings. As many dietary changes as we have had over the years I can attest that the first week or two are the hardest, once you find your groove it will become second nature.

Oh, and Oreos are dairy free, best advice I can give you ;)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I went cow dairy free with my wife several years ago. I can actually handle it OK, but she can't, so since I do the cooking and meal planning, I went cold turkey with her on dairy.

Silk has a half and half that's great for a coffee creamer. Closest to the real thing we've found. Coffee Mate makes a few non-dairy creamers that are more sweet. There's an oat one called Sown, which is good, but very sugary. She never really cared for Nutpods, but a lot of folks do like it.

Soy milk is the closest to real milk in terms of taste. Vegan Earth Balance sticks are best for baking. Myokos for a margarine spread (but Earth Balance is good too).

Imitation cheese sucks. Sorry to tell you that. It's expensive and, IMHO, so not worth it. Make vegan parm with cashews and nutritional yeast pulsed.

Homemade mac and cheese -- roast some garlic, carrots, 1/2 onion and some yukon gold potatoes. Once roasted, blend (in a very strong blender) with one cup of soaked/rinsed cashews, one can of full fat coconut milk, 2 TBS or so of Nutritional Yeast, some mustard, salt, hot sauce to taste. Add just enough DF Milk to blend and Flour to thicken (I'm gluten free, so I use tapioca starch) - just one TBS or so. This makes an amazing "cheese" sauce.

I fry it with (Gluten free) macaroni in a large skillet -- it's enough for two boxes with vegan butter. You sprinkle some breadcrumbs with vegan butter on top and you brown it until slightly browned. You won't miss real mac and cheese and, to me, it's better leftover because it's not clumpy and nasty leftover.

I make several versions of this. Take out the carrots and make a white mac and cheese and use some mushroom truffle oil at the end. I might add green chilis into it or crabmeat (or vegan chorizo).

We make vegan protein shakes. Orgain, Sunwarrior are great. If you add them to ice, DF milk and add in half of a banana, they are like a shake. I'm gluten free, but found out Maca tastes like malt powder! Yeah!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    papple227 wrote: »
    I need to cut out dairy temporarily while breastfeeding because my baby is just not handling the proteins too well. I pretty much live off of dairy so if anyone has any tips or food ideas to help me navigate this new journey, I’d appreciate it! I honestly had no idea how many food items actually have dairy in them, so I’m feeling a little overwhelmed.

I’m mostly dairy free. Some items I’ve swapped:

For milk - I use flax milk or hemp milk.

Yogurt - coconut milk yogurt

Butter - i use olive oil, avocado oil or pumpkin seed oil. (In order of mild to robust taste.)

Cheese - I use nutritional yeast

Ice cream - making at home I use avocado, coconut milk or so fruit or vegetable sorbets. In store, there are a ton of dairy free alternatives.
    The first time I had spinach/fig sorbet it was a game changer.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Oh, I had to do this for one of my kiddos and it was hard. Lots of good suggestions already, but for a treat I found chocolate almond milk really hit the spot.

Even though I'm not dairy free anymore, I recently discovered nutritional yeast and it has really helped me get more protein into my diet, which I was consistently low on before. It has a savory, nutty taste that's fairly subtle. I don't like protein powder at all (many non-vegan varieties use whey anyway so that probably wouldn't work for you), but I do like this. My one caution if you decide to try it, is that if you're still taking a prenatal vitamin to check the fortified stuff to make sure you're not getting too much folate. I buy the non-fortified yeast for this reason.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Check out Minimalist Baker's website, as well as Ambitious Kitchen. Minimalist Baker's I think is pretty much exclusively vegan, and Ambitous Kitchen has a lot of vegan recipes (or at least substitutions) as well.

There are a TON of vegan dairy replacements on the market now. There's even vegan "butter" (which as my husband says, is just margarine).I'm not vegan and am not dairy free long-term, but have had to cut out most dairy (with the exception of yogurt, currently) temporarily as part of an elimination diet. You can also make your own vegan milks out of so many things--oats, rice, flax, nuts, etc.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Check out Minimalist Baker's website, as well as Ambitious Kitchen. Minimalist Baker's I think is pretty much exclusively vegan, and Ambitous Kitchen has a lot of vegan recipes (or at least substitutions) as well.

There are a TON of vegan dairy replacements on the market now. There's even vegan "butter" (which as my husband says, is just margarine).I'm not vegan and am not dairy free long-term, but have had to cut out most dairy (with the exception of yogurt, currently) temporarily as part of an elimination diet. You can also make your own vegan milks out of so many things--oats, rice, flax, nuts, etc.

When I was relearning to cook dairy and gluten free, I found both of these very helpful. To this day, Ambitous Kitchen's Thai Quinoa Cashew Salad is one of my favorites. Also love Oh She Glows first cookbook.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like silk organic unsweetened soymilk. Has a protein ratio simar to milk. Nutritional yeast is good as a parmesan substitute, sprinkle it on almost anything!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    There are lots of dairy free alternatives to try. Worth noting that not all of them are equal so if you don't like the first one try a different brand.
    I thought I hated coconut yoghurt for months before I tried a different one!

I often use coconut oil as a butter replacement for cooking, oat milk is my personal preference, applewood vegan cheese is good. I chuck peanut butter powder into porridge and stuff to add protein.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I like silk organic unsweetened soymilk. Has a protein ratio simar to milk. Nutritional yeast is good as a parmesan substitute, sprinkle it on almost anything!

Would it be good on salads even? I have a jar I bought on a whim but haven’t actually used it yet 😜
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Would it be good on salads even? I have a jar I bought on a whim but haven’t actually used it yet 😜

I put it on salads all the time.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So dairy free ice cream, almond milk, soy milk and diya cheese are great. Personally I hate cashew milk. Pick vegan sauces like alfredo and spaghetti as well to avoid dairy and watch which breads you buy buttermilk and many others contain milk/ dairy. Goat cheese is tasty and more tolerable to babies. Also dairy free protien powder (one scoop)is a fantastic coffee creamer substitute with a splash of almond milk. Smart butter is the best butter sub widely available.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Options
    Also read your soups and pretty much all canned food because dairy will be hidden in there unless the label lists vegan
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Also read your soups and pretty much all canned food because dairy will be hidden in there unless the label lists vegan

Canned tomatoes, beans, and vegetables rarely contain dairy even if they're not specifically labeled.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I've made some cashew "alfredo" sauce that was pretty decent, actually, and my family liked it (or at least tolerated it). The cashew "buttercream" was definitely a miss, though...
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Options

Canned tomatoes, beans, and vegetables rarely contain dairy even if they're not specifically labeled.

This is true but I've learned the hard way that it's better to be over cautious than have a sick kid. My daughter is dairy intolerant. We find dairy in nearly every canned meal such as soup, chilli, ravioli and sauces even tomato based. We have encountered dairy in mixed canned products containing vegetables and beans to. Some stuff is fine like corn, green beans, pinto beans, chilli beans or black beans by themselves but different brands mean different possible ingredients so checking never hurts.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    There are lots of dairy free alternatives to try. Worth noting that not all of them are equal so if you don't like the first one try a different brand.

I often use coconut oil as a butter replacement for cooking, oat milk is my personal preference, applewood vegan cheese is good. I chuck peanut butter powder into porridge and stuff to add protein.

I've tried Silk's, Riveria, Yoso and President's choice brand....ick to say the least. I've always really, really wanted to like coconut yogurt...I'm sure the ones that are loaded with sugar and multiple things taste good - but that's not what I'd want either.
    Which one do you prefer ?(mind you - you probably don't live in my country....Canada)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I've tried Silk's, Riveria, Yoso and President's choice brand....ick to say the least. I've always really, really wanted to like coconut yogurt...I'm sure the ones that are loaded with sugar and multiple things taste good - but that's not what I'd want either.
    Which one do you prefer ?(mind you - you probably don't live in my country....Canada)

I don't know if you have the "So Delicious" brand, but that's the one that I like best.