At what point do you ask for medical help to lose weight?

Options
I'm not trying to make any excuses. I have lost weight over the last year, but for the amount of exercise I do, things just don't add up. I've also been significantly reducing calories. I feel like even 4 hours a day of hard exercise will do minimal for me at this point. I've been doing close to that amount for a while. I just know something doesn't feel right. I could be wrong, but there's something inside telling me something is wrong.

When I was younger and I worked out, I could feel fat coming off of my body. What I mean is that I could actually feel my belly going down while doing workouts. Whereas nowadays when I workout, I almost feel like my stomach is just trying to store what it can, just feel bloated. I'm also taking Alli and a ton of fiber supplements to help me feel more full and eat less. Yes, it makes me eat less but not much happens. So I feel like I'm running out of ideas.

If I had to eat 800 calories a day plus 2 hours of exercise, I would do it. The only problem is that I would get too hungry. But if I didn't have any hunger, I'd just do whatever it took. I'm starting to lose confidence, even though I have to work out 2 to 3 hours a day at least, or my body doesn't feel right.

Replies

• FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    When I was younger and I worked out, I could feel fat coming off of my body. What I mean is that I could actually feel my belly going down while doing workouts. Whereas nowadays when I workout, I almost feel like my stomach is just trying to store what it can, just feel bloated

First of all: you don't lose weight in the short period of working out. Weight loss happens continuously over long periods of time. What likely happened is that you lost a bit of bloat. And bloat is not body fat. Please don't worry about things that have nothing to do with weight loss. If you feel you get bloated then run a food diary and note down when the bloating happens, then see if eliminating some of these foods for 2 weeks or so helps.

About weight loss: how precise is your logging? do you use a food scale for everything you eat, and do you make sure the database entries match the calories on the package? How much weight do you have to lose? How long do you try before you give up? Snacking or cheat days? Is it all accounted for?

Well, I used to actually feel my stomach shrinking during my workouts. I could just feel it. As far as exercise, I do 2-5 hours, but I don't feel right if I don't get in at least an hour and a half of cardio, just to feel normal. I don't even account for it as far as calories anymore. Of course, it makes me slightly hungrier, but I try my best to not go over 2,500. I used to eat more than that because again I did get a big hungry. But with the fiber supplements, I am snacking much less. I try to eat slowly as well and yes I do eat veggies. In the day I get around 1000 calories and then another 1500 later on. I could be off by a little, but I don't know how you can explain how the 3 hours of exercise aren't helping at least some. I don't exercise to lose but if I don't exercise, I will gain weight.

I don't really like to talk about weight, but I'm probably more than 50 pounds more than what I need to be ideal. I have a muscular, stocky, broad frame like a Mike Tyson. My stomach does not stick out, however. But there is still a lot of improvement needed.

Other details? I drink an awful lot of water but I sweat very immensely and make puddles sometimes. Probably go to the bathroom 10-15 times per day.

• FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    n8rid4sk5ti3.png

Yes, this is true too. Both can be true. It doesn't mean I'm making stuff up. You can be insecure about having muscle weight, while at the same time knowing you need to take off both fat and weight.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Something isn't adding up as far as weight loss is concerned. Maybe talk to a good trainer or dietitian for some advice.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your calories? Is your diary public so our wise friends here can look at it and share some tips?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    I'm not trying to make any excuses. I have lost weight over the last year, but for the amount of exercise I do, things just don't add up. I've also been significantly reducing calories. I feel like even 4 hours a day of hard exercise will do minimal for me at this point. I've been doing close to that amount for a while. I just know something doesn't feel right. I could be wrong, but there's something inside telling me something is wrong.

When I was younger and I worked out, I could feel fat coming off of my body. What I mean is that I could actually feel my belly going down while doing workouts. Whereas nowadays when I workout, I almost feel like my stomach is just trying to store what it can, just feel bloated. I'm also taking Alli and a ton of fiber supplements to help me feel more full and eat less. Yes, it makes me eat less but not much happens. So I feel like I'm running out of ideas.

If I had to eat 800 calories a day plus 2 hours of exercise, I would do it. The only problem is that I would get too hungry. But if I didn't have any hunger, I'd just do whatever it took. I'm starting to lose confidence, even though I have to work out 2 to 3 hours a day at least, or my body doesn't feel right.

I'm wondering if part of the issue is expectations. Are you using a trending app like Happy Scale? There is lots of valuable information to be had in that.

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public we'd be able to offer you targeted advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings