Portion control

Options
Hi I’m new to this so wondered if anyone can help me.
Iv put all of the ingredients in to make a Shepard’s pie for 3 people. This has obviously taken me well over my daily recommendations. How do I change the portion size to one third to correct this.
Thank you

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder, you can change your portion size when you log it.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m new to this so wondered if anyone can help me.
    Iv put all of the ingredients in to make a Shepard’s pie for 3 people. This has obviously taken me well over my daily recommendations. How do I change the portion size to one third to correct this.
    Thank you

You've entered it into your diary? Save it as a meal and then enter 0.33 of the meal into your diary.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So if it's a pre portioned meal you use fractions and decimals the meal is whole serving. Find the decimal conversion for 1/3(all fractions can be converted to decimals. Then click your shepards pie meal and click on serving and instead of 1 type in .3 or what the correct decimal ends up being. You can't always get perfect with this method but you can get really close and google will tell you the decimal conversion for 1/3 fractions.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's helpful not only to hear what the answer to your question is but how to find it yourself because most of us eat 1/6 of a cake serving 1/3 of a dinner ect. It's a recurring problem with variation hope my answer gave you a little insight🙂
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    It's helpful not only to hear what the answer to your question is but how to find it yourself because most of us eat 1/6 of a cake serving 1/3 of a dinner ect. It's a recurring problem with variation hope my answer gave you a little insight🙂
    Uh-oh!

So what happens when you eat 1/3 of the 1/6th of a cake that was made using 1.5 times the original recipe and in which you substituted 3/4 of the oil with applesauce!?!?!?!?! :anguished:

A HEADACHE--that's what! :lol: **

** but still well worth calculating... now wouldn't it be so smart if MFP would allow for math in the quantity column :wink:
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder but use the weight of the recipe in grams as the number of servings, i.e., if I make a pot of chili that's 3524 grams all together, that's 3524 servings, 1 serving = 1 gram. Then I weigh out my portion and log that number of servings. It does look a little weird to see 85 servings or 250 servings of something at first, but the math works out. If I happen to end up with a round number for my weight (going back to our pot of chili, suppose it came out to 3500g), then I'll input the recipe as per 100g, so 3500g of chili has 35 servings (1 serving = 100g).
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe_parser

Save the recipe if it's something you make often.