Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Looking for allies

Hi, my name is Josh I'm 35 and am very out of shape. My daughter just turned 8 years old and I'm afraid of not being around to see her grow up. So I divided to join this and give my weight lose a real chance. Interested in any advice, would love to join a challenge or just make some friends on the same path as I am.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Hi Josh, welcome!

My suggestions:
    1. Don't try to go from 0 - 100 overnight - this is a recipe for injury or burnout. This applies to both cutting calories and increasing exercise.
    2. Get a food scale.
    3. Be patient :)
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 326 Member
    Welcome Josh!! Lots of good advice here. Some of the folks are true experts on fitness and nutrition. You’ll learn a lot by browsing the threads.
    I do notice that different approaches work for different people, so experiment a little to find what suits you and your body.
    Love kshama2001’s comments. Especially “be patient”. The weight didn’t come on in a week and won’t all go away in a week either!!
    Good luck!
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Welcome! I found it was really helpful to keep track of other markers besides the scale. Things like easier, faster, stronger, less of and more of. It sounds like a big part of your goal is to get healthy for your daughter so those things will be an important part of it. If you look under “success stories” there is a thread called “NSV (non scale victories ). The scale can sometimes get discouraging, but being able to DO things - well that’s life.